Winter vacancies North Qld

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by sage99, 14th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. sage99

sage99 Active Member

We are negotiating a renewal with a current tenant. They want a three month renewal (approx) due to some timing issues with a new house they are moving to although the time frame isn't set in stone and they are open to being flexible with the end date.

A three month renewal would mean the lease ends in July, usually we would try and avoid winter vacancies as it's typically a bad time of year to source new tenants. However this property is in Hervey Bay, which doesn't have much of a winter compared to the southern states. Previously, this property has only been vacant in summer or warmer times of year so it's hard to judge.

Given we have some flexibility with the renewal, do any of you think we should still avoid winter or is it not as much of an issue in the warmer states?

legallyblonde likes this.
  2. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

We have a period Nov - Jan where we try to avoid lease ends etc, but a winter lease end wouldn't fuss us at all. I'm not familiar with the Hervey Bay area market though, so am unsure if there are other factors I'm overlooking.

3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be an issue in the sunshine state. If anything I'd think the wet season would be a deterrent, but they don't have a big wet so it's all good.
    Whale watching season is packed for holidayers up there
    And Hervey Bay isn't quite nth qld, 1000km off. Fraser Coast isn't it??

legallyblonde likes this.