NSW Winston Hills vs Baulkham Hills

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Chreee, 14th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Chreee

Chreee Member

Hi guys,

Just asking for your thoughts on the suburb you prefer for a ppor, and the resons why.
    I personally believe Winston Hills is slightly better located and worth more per sqm. BH has the bigger blocks and houses and hence the highier prices.

Cheers

2. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Do the night time walk test.
    See how comfortable you feel walk around after 9pm.
    Every suburb (and even pockets within the suburb) give a different vibe.
    Whichever one you like more - go for that one.

3. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Traditionally BH has been considered a little more upmarket than WH, but both suburbs are aged now so I dont think there's much between them. BH in particular, has 2 distinct parts. The side nearer WH, with easy access to Winston Hill shops , and the other area is on the northern side of Stockland / Bull n Bush Hotel... where there is a lot of Dyldam apartment development happening... but that part , while more congested, offers slightly easier access to M2 and to Castle Hill station and Norwest

4. VB King

VB King Well-Known Member

I had a PPOR in Baulkham Hills. Near Winston Hills shops.

There's definitely, or was, a difference in sentiment between that side and the other closer to Castle Hill.

I always thought it was unwarranted, and in fact thought Winston Hills was a fairly arbitrary boundary. The only difference was the name of the suburb.

Agree with Euro.

On a side note, constantly regret selling just prior GFC. #Divorce.

5. The_good_life

The_good_life Well-Known Member

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Winston is a very cool name, mon....but I would baulk at the other. ;)

Which will benefit more from the metro eg better transportation or less traffic?

Jacque likes this.
  7. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

If the prices were equal, I would consider Baulkham Hills over Winston Hills but I find that the houses in Baulkham Hills are more expensive than Winston Hills. Maybe I am biased because I live in Baulkham Hills but I do like the fact that it's closer to Castle Hill and to the new station and M2.

8. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

Another Property Chat neighbor :).

Quite a few of us live around the area :).

9. Foxdan

Foxdan Well-Known Member

I'm a Baulkham hills local as well. The area of Baulkham hills nearer to the m2 entrance has pretty good access to the city via the buses.
    Winston hills is also zoned as parramatta council so I think that stigma has always "devalued" it cause there is virtually no difference in demographic or feel.

10. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Good point. If l tell people l live near Castle Hill, they know roughly where it is except people from the Eastern Suburbs.

11. Blue Cat

Blue Cat Member

We recently bought a PPOR in Winston Hills and also looked extensively around Baulkham Hills during our search. Prices in BH are generally higher due to better local schools and being in the Hills Council, 90% of WH is now zoned to Parra Council hence the lower prices.

WH also has overhead power lines and large pylons scattered through the suburb and pockets of public housing in the Old Windsor Rd side near Toongabie. If you're considering WH, the Windsor Rd side is more desirable. BH is also closer the more upmarket suburbs like Bella Vista and Castle Hill, offering easy access to the M2 M7 and future rail, in exchange for terrible peak hour traffic.

12. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

But isn't Parramatta Council better? (At least if you want to subdivide)

Baulkham Hills. .. I used to play tennis at Ted Horwood reserve, it was my home ground for a few seasons. Love nature.
    Baulkham Hills also has Baulkham Hills High school but that's 100% selective and I think the second highest ranked school in NSW.

13. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

We've bought for many many clients in both these suburbs and as we are based here (and having lived and worked for many years) see the good, bad and ugly of each suburb. Generally speaking, both are solid family areas and have been for some time. Baulkham Hills has always "generally" been considered more upmarket, due to location alone, however prices certainly aren't an indicator here, with some record sales in WH compared to similar homes in BH.

There can be significant price differences, however, from the far western side of WH (near Old Windsor Rd) through to the Waves pool/North BH side closer to Castle Hill. Obviously school catchment zones can make a difference (especially Matthew Pearce public in BH/Bella Vista) as can power easements (in both suburbs) streetscapes, condition and age of homes, noise issues, land lot sizes, undulation of land, access to transport etc etc. Overall however pretty comparable suburbs in reality.

14. Vince-VX

Vince-VX Member

15. Gockie

If I was buying there, I'd prefer an older, (maybe 1960's) more modest home... those ones just scream "Mac mansion" to me.

16. Vince-VX

Vince-VX Member

Agree. Old Character home is more attractive.

17. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

Baulkham Hills for sure, its not even a comparison. Winston Hills is more up and coming but is a long, long way away from getting a good revamp. The only thing it has going for it is proximity to North Parramatta.

A relative used to live in Winston Hills purely to save money, otherwise you cant even compare the two, not to mention Matthew Pierce catchment in the BH and Bellavista area.

Baulkham Hills also benefits from being next door to one of the fastest growing suburbs in Sydney, Castle Hills which is an up market suburb and will have a train station and the biggest shopping mall in Australia.

18. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

Wow, didn't know there were so many of us living in The Hills. My kids go to St Michaels Baulkham Hills. Seeing as there's so many of us living here maybe we should have a PC meet up a little closer then Wenty/Ranch/CBD ;)

Balukham Hils over Winston Hills....but thats coming from a Castle Hill Boy ;)

19. Foxdan

Foxdan Well-Known Member

My kids also go to st Michaels.... small world!

Shady likes this.
  20. Gockie

I think Baulkham Hills is better too.... Winston Hills wasn't ever really historically thought of as the Hills District. I went to Cumberland High in Carlingford growing up and we used to play school sport against Baulkham Hills High and while my team was pretty decent, they always had the best girls volleyball team... thanks to coach Noel Drew who's been there over 30 years....

If you want to organise a meetup go right ahead... there were previously some meetups organised at the Bull n Bush a couple of years ago. What I found though is that you basically need a car to get to it!