Food & Dining Wine, any one?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by 380, 15th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Anyone going to this event around the country?

Langton's Wine Experience | Langton's Fine Wines

I'll likely be going to Adelaide, tickets aren't that cheap but guess neither are the wines you're getting to taste.
    Good way to taste some super premium wines around Australia.
    I've sampled most of the South Australian wines on there, but will be nice to try some of the other regions.

2. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Was a pretty good night...

View Wine Classification | Langton's Fine Wines

Bit of a sore head this morning though :|

3. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

Just wanted to revive this thread as I want to get ideas on wines to buy and cellar and wines to buy and drink now.

@The Falcon got me onto Kalleske Greenock Shiraz and I've been trying very hard to resist the temptation to drink it all, but it tastes good now :)

Any relatively unknown estates that are starting to produce decent wine?

Another mate told me to go onto Langtons but I don't have any idea what to buy. I could stick to 389, St Henri etc, which will almost certainly be good with time but I'm looking for something a bit different and at a lower price point.

A mate got me onto Wirra Wirra The Angelus. If you've never had that, you need to give it a try.

Coconutwheels likes this.
  4. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

@Zenith Chaos

Put a couple of bottles of Standish the Standish 2015/2016 away for 5-10 years, $110.

In the value GSM area, hard to beat Kalleske Clarrys at $17 imho. Seen some specials on Teusner Joshua at $20 which is also good value

Have been drinking a bit of Riesling with seafood, I reckon you can’t go past Alsace stuff for value/quality, Hugel at around $33 is great, give it a run with oysters / prawns happy dayz

If you like earthy medium body Shiraz with some fineness about it I think that Seppelts Chalambar around $20 is great value, like all reds you will want it a little below room temp. If you can spring the $60 for their St Peters then you will be rewarded now or in 10 years, the 2016 is a decent vintage and I personally preferred it over the 2014 which rated higher. Seppelt is part of TWE but unlike Penfolds I think offers value

Zenith Chaos likes this.
  5. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

6. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

7. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

8. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

try buying a 2010 St Henri they rated so well, sold out cellar door extremely fast, I had drunk all bare 1 of mine so was happy to pickup another.
    I would probably still think about buying at $600, they're all good vintages... sometimes with bundles you're getting hit with some doggy years or average bottles to fill - these are all pretty top notch.
    Awesome value for money @ $400 IMO

TMNT likes this.
  9. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

That is massively tempting! I just know I'd end up sitting on it for too long though... (trying to talk myself out of it)

Brady likes this.
  10. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Thought would post in here - bit more on topic...

Haven't tried the Yarden Brand before - nor much o/seas wine. Being from SA find hard to beat the value for money locally.

Nice list they have @ Jonahs looking through at the SA Wines, I've tried or own
    - Coriole Fiano (they have the Lloyd Reserve Shiraz which is decent, but overpriced IMO but nice)
    - Henschke Keyneton
    - Hentley Farm Beast, awesome winery, dining there is an experience
    - Kaesler Bogan, great wine, really down to earth winery also
    - Penfolds yes, used to buy alot more when had a friend at the cellar door

Won't go to wrong with any of these wines...
    View Wine Classification | Langton's Fine Wines

paulF, MWI and Morgs like this.
  11. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Ok wine buffs, I enjoy a merlot in the cooler months normally with a steak meal.
    What are your recommendations?

12. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

:( sorry I'm yet to find a merlot that I enjoy

Maybe could suggest a few different Cabernet Sauvignon?

Or even Shiraz from a cooler climate
    - Grampians/Yarra Valley, VIC
    - Clare, SA
    - Hunter, NSW

Better still with a steak big bold Shiraz :)

TAJ and Morgs like this.
  13. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

I don't like to spend "too much" on a bottle of wine so I live in the 20- 40 dollar range.

I really like Innocent Bystander - Pinot Noir and I also like Henschke Henry's Seven - Grenache Viognier. Both nice drops that won't hurt the wallet :).

Kassy, Brady and TAJ like this.
  14. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Does Rosé count as wine? Rarely see it mentioned yet when I did regularly imbibe I really liked a bottle or three on a hot day.

15. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Agree, you are fortunate being in SA, probably having better access to more variety...?
    I like the classification list you posted, never looked at it before and have had many from those lists (Thanks to spouse who is a HUGE wine connoisseur and some close friends whom we dine with... who spend unlimited amounts on some wines - fortunate to dine with such friends:)!).
    After your post I think we should make a trip to SA, have friends there who have been inviting us to pop in, so may decide to take up their offer...?;)

16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

17. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

It's as good as coffee...... shi??

18. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Pretty much world class wineries in every direction all within ~1hour or less from CBD
    - Barossa Valley
    - McLaren Vale
    - Clare Valley
    - Coonawarra
    - Adelaide Hills
    - Many other smaller regions starting or already producing decent wine

The classifcation is good, don't think there is a bad wine in the list, even the varieties I'm not a fan of on the list and tried I enjoyed.
    The list is based on prices, volume of demand, and supply at auction. So pretty much these wines all hold there value if not increase in value.
    Some on the list are only accessible by exclusive mail list, if fortunate enough to be on the list and access the wine to buy, could be sold for more than purchase price if one wanted to (but likely end up eventually getting you kicked off the list when found out) - So far I've managed to get onto Wendouree, Stonewaller @ Rockfords and hopefully on the list next year for Noon.

Good friends to have when they're footing the bill! :D

Would be well worthwhile, SA wine is awesome and so are the wineries. They have definitely come along way.
    Now days you would see bus load of 21 year old piling out of a bus for tastings for birthdays or events.
    Many wineries have music festivals.
    Adelaide Hills has the 'Crush Festival' coming up
    Still heaps of traditional wineries, fair amount who don't sell to the majors, so can't find them at Dan Murphy's etc.

19. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Chardy is a no from me most of the time, but if drinking definitely look Margaret River region as they do it best.

MTR likes this.
  20. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Rockford Alicante Bouche! Drink a heap of this in summer. not technically a Rose but let's just say it is.
    Restaurant or cellars that you can find it in will be around $40-60.
    Cellar door believe it's now up to ~$22