Food & Dining Wine, any one?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by 380, 15th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Anything Sav Blanc or Chard and/or Shiraz on a 6-pack deal/mixed deal... under $10 per bottle.

Have been known to consume dry whites from Aldi...$6 each.

Terrible, but small luxuries have to be considered despite dire financial situations ;)

Last edited: 20th Jul, 2015
  2. Bayview

Used to drink port when younger, but got terribly sick on it one night and haven't been able to look at them since.

3. Gibson

Gibson Well-Known Member

There's a great wine buying site called Vino ****. Was buying their deals at least twice a month up until Feb.. Some $30+ wines going for $10,$12..... But they have quite decent discounts if you want variety. PLUS flat $10 shipping I can send you an email and you'll get $25 credit plus I will get one $25 credit upon your first order ;)

Cactus likes this.
  4. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

The $5 Tempranillo from Aldi isn't actually too bad at all.

The Tudor Shiraz at $12 a bottle is outstanding.

5. Bayview

Will give the Shiraz a try! Thanks Andrew.

6. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

7. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I used to enjoy wine immensely. So much so that I got into a very bad habit. I could no longer just drink a small amount.

I'm almost at my third anniversary of being alcohol free.

A pity in some ways because I miss the tasting, and I miss a cold one after physically working. But better for me than the way I was.

I still have a lot of bottles of what was then drinkable, but not great, wine.

Joynz, Cactus and House like this.
  8. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Living in SA I really enjoy a big red, we're so spoilt here in SA.

Don't have any 'Hill of Grace' or 'Grange' at this stage as don't have a cellar. Will be having storage/fridge built in my Highbury development. But have some pretty decent wines to name a few...

Penfolds St Henri. Few '06 '10 '12
    Penfolds RWT (magnum) '10
    Kay Brothers Block 6 '06
    Rockford Basket Press
    Saltram no1
    D'Aranberg the dead arm '04

Have a wine tour coming up for work end of year party. Organised to go to Saltram, Seppetlesfield, Rockford and Hentley Farm

Jamie Moore and 380 like this.
  9. Jessproperty

Jessproperty Well-Known Member

I love Wildfox organic sauv blanc and their cab sav about $20 bottle ....when I'm not 9 months pregnant! Lol

I love organic wine...no preservatives means no headaches in the morning :)

10. sash

sash Well-Known Member

The Premium Red Reserva (has a lace like packaging)...is actually very very good.

11. 380

380 Well-Known Member

Some of Aldi wines are getting popular and have some good reviews about it..

Should give it a try!

12. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Wine from aldi is good enough for me. :) or use it for cooking.

13. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Yep. I rarely drink (no more than 1 or 2 glasses per fortnight) but I go the moscato when I do! Even better when its at the $5 a bottle price point.

14. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Got into wine a few years ago thanks to a Japanese manga (Kami no Shizuku) and since I never do anything in halves my first purchase was a bottle of 1976 Grange. Stored it in Wine Ark (temperature+humidity controlled with security and insurance) while I collected a few other bottles, before long I had 2 '76 Granges so had some friends over to drink one of them along with an '86 Hill of Grace. There was a bit of a mishap during the HoG uncorking though...

Lost interest in wine though after I had a French pinot noir... a 1996 Dominique Laurent Lavaux St. Jacques Gevrey-Chambertin Premier Cru. A better drop than any Grange or HoG I've tasted by a long, long margin. Did not see myself getting anything better without spending 4 figures per bottle.

Only valuable bottles I have left are a 1983 Grange (which passed clinic) and a 1986 Chateau d'Yquem. Sitting in Wine Ark along with a few bottles of my 'house wine' = Colonial Estate 2009 Exile shiraz. These were $220 per bottle until the company liquidated, then I grabbed a few cases at $30/btl :)

15. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

Some people I know are really into this wine
    [​IMG]

16. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

For anyone in Newcastle, Inner City Winemakers, a client of mine, is in Wickham and do some pretty good stuff. The Lucille blanc de blanc is a very nice Australian sparkling.

Get grapes from the Hunter, Orange and around Tenterfield, and make all the wines in Wickham, so it's a point of difference and Rob and Jeanine are great value as well.

inertia likes this.
  17. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Royal Reserve will do that to you :p

Cheers,
    Inertia
    - victim of same.

18. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Ok, kick start this again. My wine hobby is really starting to get rolling now. I'm lucky enough to have a concrete cellar under the house (but requires on to "duck" to get into it! ouch) which keeps pretty stable temperature year round. After starting with collecting some old Heathcote stuff (Tatiarra 2004s) in recent years have been laying down the usual Bin 389, 150, 28 etc as well as Wynns Black label, Hungerford Hill Heavy Metal, Torbreck Struie, Henschke Keyneton and the like.

I've realised I really don't know that much about wine (besides from that I like medium and big reds!) but now starting to get right into it.

Recently have started to get into the Teusner stuff and I reckon their "The Riebke" Shiraz is an absolute cracker for $20. Keen to get ideas from others around this price point (quaffers) as I know there are some real gems out there.

Jamie Moore likes this.
  19. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

Am a huge fan of the Dead Arm. My favorite red of all time!

Brady likes this.
  20. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

@The Falcon Keep an eye on humidity too, I can't remember what the ideal % was but it's just as important as temperature. Compromised cork = compromised wine!

The Falcon likes this.