Technology & Social Media Windows 10

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Scott No Mates, 15th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. HomePage

HomePage Well-Known Member

Ditto. Anything is better than Windows 8, so I upgraded my wife's computer and Windows 10 is better. My Windows 7 machines are staying put; Windows 10 is not as awesome and I smell a rat with what Windows 10 user will have to pay in future to keep their "free" update subscription current.

2. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

All our office laptops updgraded to Windows 10. No issues at all but none would be more than 2 yrs old

3. Davothegreat

Davothegreat Well-Known Member

It's not a free update "subscription" - Windows 10 licensing for home users is not a subscription model, there is no concept of current/expired. The only Windows subscription model is software assurance which is a licensing model used by enterprise.

Home users upgrading from Windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10 are merely purchasing (at no cost until end of July 2016) a new perpetual Windows 10 license. Whilst Microsoft could elect to introduce a subscription model in the future they can't force owners of perpetual licenses to start handing over $$ to keep those intact.

4. HomePage

HomePage Well-Known Member

Be that as it may, Windows 10 will IMO likely become the transitional version of windows to the first paid subscription service version Microsoft rolls out which they will con you into upgrading to to keep your updates current. I have no evidence to back this up, just a gut feeling I get whenever I see something touted as free that eventually ends up costing you through marketing trickery.

5. Davothegreat

Davothegreat Well-Known Member

Don't forget Microsoft doesn't really make any money from home users buying Windows and Office for their tiny collection of PCs. They make their money from enterprise customers licensing their datacenters with Windows Server, SQL, System Centre etc. And a lot of the push for businesses to retain their large suites of Microsoft end user products stems from home users' familiarity with Windows and Office, meaning staff require less training as most will know how to login to their workstation on day 1 of their new job without too much assistance.

To give you an idea, I work for an organisation that historically favoured capex spending over opex for IT infrastructure spending where possible. The virtual infrastructure that I'm responsible for is licensed with Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacentre without software assurance. We can't upgrade to 2012 R2 (or 2016 server when it comes out) without buying new datacentre licenses. That's a 150k bill, plus an additional 15k in client access licenses. Ok that infrastructure hosts around 1000 Windows Server virtual machines but you can quickly see why Microsoft are unlikely to meddle with what people are doing at home when they can make so much money from enterprise without upsetting home users. In fact, a lot of the enterprise licensing models are now making is easier to license home equipment for staff via the VDA or SA license models.

6. citystar

citystar Well-Known Member

I'm happy to stick with Windows 7 until I absolutely have to upgrade.

7. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Actually, you can do a clean install. It's a bit of a process though.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

8. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Windows 8 had it's flaws, but Windows 8.1 addressed most of the critical issues.

I don't get all the hate for Windows 8.1 ... yes, the whole apps thing was poorly conceived, but I've essentially just ignored all of that and use my computer in exactly the same way I used Windows 7.

It is by no means the perfect OS - far from it - but it does pretty much everything I need and has proven stable and reliable, which is critical to me since I rely on my computers to operate my business and don't have time to futz.

9. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I used Win8 + Classic Shell... normal operation for me.
    I couldn't use it without classic shell.

Upgraded my laptop to Win10, installed Classic Shell again, to me Win10+ Classic Shell feels the same as Win8 + Classic Shell.

10. 274

274 Member

My teenage son decided to upgrade from 8.1 to windows 10 on the laptop he needs for school. A couple of weeks later he decided to go back to 8.1 - hello blue screen of death...

11. jim1964

jim1964 1941

I had huge issues when i pre ordered windows 10, you know the little windows icon that suddenly came up on the bottom task bar.All of a sudden i had a new home page mysearch123, dramas,dramas,dramas, could not delete it,got to the point i couldnt boot out of safe mode.Had to go back to factory settings.PITA !!! May be a coincidence, but me thinks i got a corrupt file somewhere in there.No windows 10 for me.

12. Simon Hampel

Sounds more like malware to me.

Anything which changes your home page and other unexpected stuff like that is usually malware.

jim1964 likes this.
  13. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I upgraded last month and it worked beautifully for two days. Then it crashed and I have lost forever my email account. It took two weeks to get the laptop to work again and to get a new email account operating. I lost all saved email correspondence. I could wipe it all and reinstall W7 but i'm happy to get used to this one now as I will no doubt need it for work sometime.

14. Emoi

Emoi Well-Known Member

I have been using it for a few months and like it.
    I little annoyance is when I put it in sleep mode it wakes up again by itself.
    powercfg -requests shows nothing
    powercfg -last wake shows nothing

15. Simon Hampel