Technology & Social Media Windows 10 is....

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by bob shovel, 4th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. DanW

DanW Well-Known Member

Those are very good troubleshooting steps.

That's why I did them :)

I think we must work in the same field!

Unfortunately in this case it's not successful. I've seen others having the same problem with Windows 10. Printer works, but no scanner detected.

It's not urgent, I'll give it a few weeks to look for a new driver.

2. DanW

DanW Well-Known Member

Windows 10 runs wonderfully on a mac. That is once you get rid of that mountain panther yosemite crap that they come pre-installed with ;)

3. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

<shivers...>

4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Check out Uber.

DanW likes this.
  5. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Project managment? (but I do have a degree in re-booting :) )

Hmm. It does sound like a driver issue. Anything in the logs?

6. HomePage

HomePage Well-Known Member

I run Windows 7 on my PCs and it is awesome. My wife has Windows 8.1 on her laptop and we both find it awkward to use. At first glance, Windows 10 looks like FrankenWindows7&8.1. I reckon it's free because there is a big catch we don't all realise yet.

I'm sticking with Windows 7 om my PCs but will upgrade to Windows 10 on my wife's laptop. Windows 10 can't be any worse than Windows 8 and I'll need to learn how to use it anyway to perform my mostly-thankless role as the family's computer fix-it guy when one of them botches it up.

7. DanW

DanW Well-Known Member

More similar than you think :)

Consulting/BA/PM. Small team so I get my hands into all the roles.

Good idea on the logs, I'll have to check

8. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

I never had problems with my computer until I 'upgraded' from DOS to win 3.1.

9. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

I thought it was snail bait.

Rixter likes this.
  10. abbyfresh

abbyfresh Well-Known Member

Seems no matter the situation, Windows slows down and runs worse over time compared to your original new machine when Windows was freshly installed.
    My old laptop from 6 years ago - high end machine of its day. Originally ran VISTA on it which was a bit sluggish. Then upgraded to Win 7 and put in a faster hard drive. It then ran a lot better. More recently nothing has changed but it runs almost unusable, particularly at boot up since the glory days.

I thought hey lets install Win 10 on it and see if it can bring things back to life. Looks a bit fancy, but definitely no performance increase in this case.

The whole industry hardware and operating system in case of Windows forces you to upgrade based on perceived or actual performance decreases over time. This is the very annoying thing.

If the software and tasks you do in windows haven't fundamentally changed in 5 years, the selling points aren't there unless your machine mysteriously comes to a grinding halt the more you deliberate about upgrading.

Last edited: 5th Aug, 2015
  11. HomePage

HomePage Well-Known Member

There's nothing stopping you just reinstalling the version of windows you currently have, without upgrading anything.

Perthguy likes this.
  12. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

That's because in the meantime, you've cluttered your computer with multiple applications. Even when you remove old applications, they leave behind footprints that slow things down. To fix this, you do need to backup your important files, wipe everything and reinstall from scratch on a periodic basis.

Kind of like buying a new house. Over time, wear and tear makes it look less new, no matter how much you de-clutter and clean. Eventually you give it a cosmetic reno and it all looks brand new again for a few more years.

You can't argue that the upgrade cycles of the IT industry is the fault of Microsoft, otherwise people would still be using the Apple II.

13. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

I heard it's not free. First year only.

14. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I never upgrade my OS to a new version - only ever install from scratch and I try and rebuild my machine with a fresh OS install at least once a year to get rid of the accumulated cruft which slows things down.

I was quite happy with Windows 7 on my 4yo laptop - don't see the need to upgrade that. When I built my desktop machine last year I installed Windows 8.1 ... it works well enough for my needs (and I push it pretty hard - this is my main software development machine and I run multiple VMware virtual machines on it as well).

I am keen to try Windows 10 - but as I said, I won't be upgrading, I'll have to wait until my next computer upgrade or hardware rebuild and will put a fresh install of Windows 10 on at that point.

Unfortunately, I built a very powerful workstation this time - so I'm not likely to need an upgrade for a couple of years yet (although I might swap out the GPU if I need something more powerful for some upcoming games - not that I have time to play these days :( )

15. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

ive given up on it!! atleast 10 gb wasted trying to down load it!! flippin computers!!!! :mad::mad:

ill read the info now and see if i could be bothered trying again... probably wont

16. Perthguy

MS should have virtual images available for win 10, so people like us can download and test. I have done this for xp, vista, 7 and 8 but I have not looked for the win 10 image yet. At one point I was running vista, 7 and 8 in VMs concurrently. Seemed very smooth :)

EDIT: scratch that. I was thinking of these, but win 10 is not there yet. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=11575

Last edited: 4th Aug, 2015
  17. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Perthguy likes this.
  18. abbyfresh

abbyfresh Well-Known Member

Yes - but the average Windows user isn't going to do a format and full re-build, nor could many do that on their own without professional paid help. Upgrading is perceived as the only answer, and mostly in the form of a new computer as well, when in actual fact the existing machine would be fine in many cases with a fresh install of the existing OS.

If Microsoft had nothing to do with it, they would offer a 1 click full refresh from desktop. They kind of do, but I don't believe it as effective as a full format of the hard-drive. I'm saying they could build this capability into their design but choose not to, as this gives people another reason to not upgrade or delayed reason.

Other operating systems do not decline in performance over time at the same rate as Windows seems to do.

Last edited: 5th Aug, 2015
    Touristy likes this.
  19. Perthguy

Windows 95 was shocking for degrading over time. I had to wipe and reinstall once or more times a year, back in the day. XP was better, although I still ended up reinstalling periodically. I think Win7 is a lot better. I am still on my original install of Win7 with no noticable decline in performance since installation. I am sticking with Win7 for now, I think. I have no compelling reasons to install 10.

20. Player

Player Well-Known Member

I've just downloaded it for my daughter's machine and I have a new notebook purchased on the weekend that now has had the upgrade although I haven't transferred my files across from my current machine.

This came to me today and was insightful. Hope it helps some others somewhat technically challenged and who like me are not totally trusting of the way we are tracked and targeted online:

http://www.businessspectator.com.au...&utm_content=1503384&utm_campaign=kgb&modapt=