Window Washing

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by peastman, 29th Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. peastman

peastman Well-Known Member

Do you clean the outside windows, if so, how often and do you pass on the charge to the tenant?
    I can't seem to find anything about it in the lease.

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I would never charge the tenant for cleaning the outside of a house or windows.

We don't seem to need to clean them very often. Maybe the tenants do it, or rely on the rain?

A lady with a small baby strapped to her chest was with her mother yesterday in a nearby house, trimming a tree in the yard that had branches hanging over the footpath.

We got chatting and the tenant said the real estate agent told her if she didn't trim the tree to stop pedestrians risking hitting their heads, the council would fine them.

What a load of ********. I told her we were landlords, and would NEVER ask a tenant to trim a tree and that they as tenants would not be fined by council. That if anyone would be fined it would be the owner.

She said there was a clause added to the lease saying the tenants would keep the yard tidy and trim trees. This is just wrong IMO and I'm not sure if it is even legal.

They knew that, but didn't want to risk anything as they are moving soon and want their bond back.

Gee some PMs really do try it on.

Sannie and Marg4000 like this.
  3. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

The general guideline is that anything over shoulder height is the responsibility of the owner- it goes back to the whole never tell a tenant to climb a ladder rule.

I have had an issue with this before where overgrown trees on a front fence line made it impossible for kids at the nearby school to use the pathway- forcing them to walk on the street. Fortunately it was a neighbour and not council who raised the concern and we had it all cut back. It wasn't very high and I still think we should have asked the tenant do it... but the owner wanted a quick solution and was happy to pay to cut the foliage back properly so it wouldn't happen again.

Back to the original post, I have never seen a client have the windows cleaned, and you can't pass the charge onto the tenants.

External cleaning is a really interesting grey area. There really is no requirement or expectation for a tenant to attend to external house cleaning for slow build up, but they can be expected to have the windows cleaned if it's safe for to do so (e.g. single level home).

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

All the more reason to buy units. Externalities are done by strata management.

You can't charge the tenant for external window cleaning, lawns, garden maintenance etc but you can include it in the rent ie. $1500/wk rental and tenant does lawns etc or $1550/wk and lawns, gardens, windows etc are done.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  5. SherW

SherW Member

I clean it myself.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia