Window Screens - Building code compliance for units/townhouses

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Angel, 15th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Who pays to get security screens on the upstairs windows and balcony door now that the building code demands IPs to have them fixed so that dumb tenants can't fall out (townhouses).

Our townhouse is the only one in the complex without screens upstairs, so I assume the other owners would have paid themselves years ago before we ever bought. I would imagine the BC owns the windows, especially the part on the outside where the screen would be fitted.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

They're not compulsory yet afaik. It would be a BC issue as they're fitted to the exterior.

3. moyjos

moyjos Well-Known Member

Nope sorry In qld screens are the responsibility of the owner not BC

You are actually not required to have screens as such. You are required to have either screens or limiters that restrict the window opening further than 100mm. The problem with locks is that bedrooms get too hot, then tenants start demanding AC. Screens are cheaper than AC

4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I figured you would know. So how come they are the responsibility of the owners in Qld? Is it like with the bloody water - why does Qld have to be so different from the other states.:mad::mad::mad:

5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

When you boil it down there really is not much difference.

The owners all contribute to the body corporate charges, so if the body corporate pays then all owners are paying indirectly!
    Marg