Window replacement in reno

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Burramys, 13th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

The end is near for a reno, with an unusual delay - COVID-19. Nearly all is sorted, but I have a query. The toilet window size meets the BCA code. This window is louvres, so there is no way to stop outside air entering. The intent was to have a hinged window (no room for anything else) so that the window can be left open, closed or between. One tradie said that a fixed window with a strip of flyscreen about 100 mm deep at the top will do the job. I'm not keen as air from outside can still enter, albeit near the ceiling and through a narrow gap.

Can someone please advise if this meets the BCA and if it is desirable? TIA.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

5% of floorspace is the requirement for ventilation and 10% for light.

Mechanical ventilation will decrease this requirement (eg a fan on a timer)

Is a louvred window an option (though more expensive, it can be closed).

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Modern louvres are so much better at being airtight than the old style louvres... replace with modern?

4. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

Thanks. The existing louvres are fixed, cannot be moved.The existing louvres are in very deep vertical pieces of timber, with slots for the glass. The timber is part of the frame, so taking the timber out means that the entire window frame to be replaced. Putting a hinged window in front of this, opening inwards, is much easier, simpler and costs less than installing modern louvres.

The area of the existing window meets the BCA, so that is not an issue. The size of the tradie proposal glass and flyscreen above this can be made to comply with the BCA. Every other reno I've done has had a closing window. Is the permanently open flyscreen desirable?

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

It’s Melbourne. Get a hinged window - full glass.

The type with the permanently open fly screen is an option I’ve seen in older Melbourne houses. But in Melbourne it gets too cold and windy for this option.

I replaced my old fixed louvre window with a second hand awning window and it makes a big difference. In big storms, water used to get into the room (even with 600mm eaves).

Edit: just reread the thread and realised that you’re intending to keep the louvres and just screwIng a hinged panel inside - opening inwards. This would work too. But keep it all glass.

Two thoughts - Won’t it protrude into the room? Also how are you going to allow it to be held ajar?

Last edited: 13th Apr, 2020
  6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Isn’t that for habitable rooms?

7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Every dunny I have seen here has a small flyscreen strip OR a fan connected to the light.

The Y-man

8. The Y-man

How big's the window?

The Y-man

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Spot on @Joynz, I apply it liberally :oops:

10. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

That’s funny - I’ve only seen the mesh strip in older houses. Not new builds in Melbourne.

If a new build has a toilet with a window, they will have an opening window.

11. The Y-man

Yeah, I probably don't get invited to new homes....:oops:

The Y-man