Window Blinds

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by neK, 16th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I will be putting in new blinds in the house that i'm currently renovating and I have no idea as to what blinds to actually put in.

The largest window is around 3000mm wide and I am worried about the weight of the blinds itself - currently there are some older 3000mm wide aluminum venetians, but I have found this to be rather difficult to pull up.

These are street facing windows and I have found the aluminum venetians look nice from the outside. I considered plantation shutters, but the width of the window means I would have to get bi-fold ones and I'm not sure how that will work (the idea of them hanging out doesn't really appeal to me).

Any suggestions would be welcomed!

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Why not put in eyelet curtains? Easy to open and close and if they get wrecked, buy a new pair?

3. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Not a fan of curtains to be honest (Unless they are the entire wall like a hotel) :D

4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Roller blinds or Roman blinds might work. They do appear to have them to that width, though not at Spotlight - you'd be looking at a custom curtain place. Or you could do two or three together.

Vertical blinds would do the job, but I'm not a fan of those myself. They're not so good for light or thermal protection. They can be very cost effective for tenants, though they can get their connecting chains broken.

Last edited: 16th Oct, 2018
  5. wylie

Is this for your own place?

6. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Yes it is.
    If it was an IP it would have been roller blinds :p

7. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Ok, so curtains, roller blinds and Venetians are out. I wouldn't recommend vertical blinds, as stated, but you may like them.

Though roller blinds can come in double, with a translucent blind and an opaque blind, which can let the light in while blocking out the view from outside.

The only other blinds I could think of are cellular or honeycomb blinds. They are very light, overcoming the problem with Venetians. They have good insulating qualities. They come in a range of translucent through blockout. The last time I looked at these, they were quite expensive, but that was a long time ago. Bunnings have them, just not in that width - but you probably need quality blinds anyway.

8. wylie

One of our sons had drop down blinds made with remote control. They were fitted to a double height glass window that they never could have reached for any other shade options. I was surprised at how cheap it was (can ask him, but I don't recall the figure). No need to touch the blind itself. Motorised up and down. Would that work?

9. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

With the largest window you could do it as 2 wooden slat blinds to reduce the weight, I'm assuming there is some sort of vertical bar at 1500mm on the window to assist with this.

That would give you the plantation look but still be slim.

Imagine this but in white

[​IMG]

10. wylie

I've put timber venetians in rentals. They are very heavy, and make the place very dark (less so in white I guess). They also get really dusty. I'd never use them again.

11. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

I just installed double roller blinds. One sheer and one blockout across four windows . Sheer has reflective thermal on the outside and gives full privacy but looking out the view isnt blocked. All motorised and connected to somfy so can control them all from my phone. Great for a hot day so u can program them to close at 11am and reopen at 5pm before u come home and the place isnt then an oven. Not cheap though.

neK, Angel, craigc and 1 other person like this.
  12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Our windows all have timber slat Venetians. The large window at the front was custom made as two smaller ones would look wrong. They are twenty years old at least and the strings are finally getting brittle.

These blinds have been very functional and achieve everything I wanted them to do. The window is 2800 if I recall, possibly 3000mm. I'm going to replace them with white ones next time.

Attached Files:

neK likes this.
  13. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

HI @neK, what did you end up doing?

I'm exploring new window coverings now - my hubby wants roller blinds but I still want white
    timber-look venetians.

The blinds in our bedrooms are faux timber - plastic really, and are much lighter than the real timber. They are much easier to clean and maintain too. We take them outside, drape across a gate and hose/broom off.

14. neK

neK Well-Known Member

@Angel I ended up going double roller blinds.
    One that provided privacy that allowed me to see out in the day while letting light in, and then a blockout on for darkness.

Recessed does look nicer in my opinion, but then you've got the issue of light coming through the sides. I think I'm going to have to invest in a tall coat hook to block out the light that keeps shining in my face when im trying to sleep o_O

The annoying part of the roller blinds is that they are really hard to roll up - and its not due to weight as i have springs installed, its reaching behind the blinds to access the chain that's a pain in the backside (as both roller blinds are front rolled - if back rolled it would have been fine, but they weren't back rolled because the sunscreen blind was going to hit the sliding door handle, then the blockout blind if back rolled would rub against the sun screen blind).

I'll grab a pic when im home tonight to show you what it looks like.

15. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Thanks.

16. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Paul@PAS and Angel like this.
  17. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

A thin pelmet header would stop that light gap at the top. The OCD in me says it will never be even around

Pumpkin likes this.
  18. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Its the light on the sides :(
    Hits my side of the bed on my face.
    Wife is unaffected :mad:

Pumpkin likes this.
  19. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

I don’t understand the curtain hate. :p

Done properly, they would be my choice almost every time, hands down. Especially on a PPOR.

Sheers, blockouts, double tracks, whatever. No blinds banging in the breeze, dusty slats, or broken chains. Plus you can extend the curtain rail past the edge of the window (wall space permitting) and avoid the annoying light gaps. :D

What do people dislike about curtains? Apart from the cheap eyelet/rings ones from Spotlight that are noisy to open/close etc.?

Last edited: 17th Jan, 2019
    Pumpkin likes this.