NSW Windale (Newcastle)

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 30th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

Windale in Newcastle may be on the up according to newspaper reports from 2011, houses were averaging 180/220k
    Fast forward to now in 2015, most houses are in the early 300's
    Windale which is about 15 minutes drive South of the City is primarliy a Housing Department Suburb .

Last week I went to look at a Townhouse which had been advertised at 249k in Wakool Ave , Windale with a rental return of $310 weekly.
    The property , which had been formerly a Housing Dept house was currently rented by a young couple with 5 children who were leaving soon as they themselves were moving into a Dept of Housing house in Windale.
    The property certainly didnt look like its outdated pics displayed on the internet and was showing wear particularly the backyard fence which seemed palings had been ripped off and were sitting in a bbq of the neighbours house at the back which are Dept of Housing.
    His backyard was littered with Jim Beam cans.
    Standing at the large back window of the rear house facing us was several young drunken guys drinking beer bottles who were totally ignored by the Real Estate salesman, only to "moon" me whilst we were looking at the back fence.I guess they thought it was funny.
    Whilst I drank a lot when younger, I never did start at 11.30 am on a weekday morning !!

I have posted a picture from the backyard with a view to the neighbours at the window.

I often wonder why tenants dont make an effort to clean the house for inspection ,even if its just a quick clean but here the laundry and clothes were all over the floor making it embarrassing as we tried to step over clothes and childrens toys.

Windale has houses in the low 300's , but personally i cannot see a huge capital gain due to the areas reputation.
    As for Rental Income, basically you are renting to people who are low income earners.

One thing the Agent did tell me was that some tenants purposelly default on rent so they can be given a "Notice to Vacate"which they take to the Dept of Housing and receive emergency accomodation or become quicker on the list to receive DOH housing.
    I didnt end up making an offer and decided Windale wasnt for my me at this stage.

Hard to say whether its worth investing in Windale but could be a darkhorse in the future.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 30th Jun, 2015
  2. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Thank you for the report .Are you also looking at other areas within Newcastle ?

3. Darlinghurst Boy

Yes maybe,Fassifern is another area which I think could be a dark horse.

I was looking around the University areas of Birmingham Gardens,Shortland etc until I found out the University is building new Student accomodation and moving a few Campuses into the Newcastle City area, so im staying away from Student accomodation houses, they use to be a goldmine in the past but there will be an oversupply soon thats why you are seeing a lot of sales in those areas.

I still do like Waratah West particularly around the Hospital and preferably close to the shops ..
    That area and Mayfield maybe the next growth areas.
    Charlestown is also an upcomer with new developments happening and of course close to Westfields and buses to the City.Will always be families interested in renting around Charlestown in my opinion particularly if you are close to schools, and the shopping Centres.
    There are currently 4 bedroom houses in Charlestown selling for mid 400's.

Last edited: 30th Jun, 2015
  4. drg86

drg86 Well-Known Member

Windale hasn't shaken its rep and demographic just yet as you experienced.

While the uni has built more on campus accommodation it hasn't had too bad of an impact on surrounding rentals. On campus is expensive, even with the higher rents of houses in surrounding suburbs it works out cheaper to be in a house. One of my tenants moved off campus into my Waratah West IP earlier this year. As you say it is not just the uni, the hospital, schools and shops still keep the area in demand.

As the city grows west these areas are considered more central. You only have to look at the gentrification and developments going ahead to see demand is still there. The market is slowing, as does during winter period. Spring will tell if the buyers are there and if the recent high growth will continue.

5. larrylarry

I came across an ad stating "investor liquidating assets" in windale. Is that referring to DOH ?

6. larrylarry

Windale got mentioned. http://www.news.com.au/national/wes...SF&utm_source=News.com.au&utm_medium=Facebook

and frankston north.
    MOST DISADVANTAGED SUBURBS:

NSW: Brewarrina (2839), Claymore (2559), Lightning Ridge (2834), Walgett (2832), Wilcannia (2836) and Windale (2306).

VICTORIA: Broadmeadows (3047), Corio (3214), Doveton (3177), Frankston North (3200), Maryborough (3465) and Morwell (3840).

QUEENSLAND: Aurukun, Doomadgee, Kowanyama, Mornington, Woorabinda and Yarrabah.

SOUTH AUSTRALIA: Anangu Pitjantjatjara, Coober Pedy, Maralinga Tjarutja, Peterborough, Playford — Elizabeth and unincorporated Whyalla.

TASMANIA: Break O’Day, Brighton, Central Highlands, George Town and Tasman.

legolas and Propertunity like this.
  7. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Yeah, and not in a good way :)

8. Davothegreat

Davothegreat Well-Known Member

A few years ago they used to say Windale had the highest rate of unemployment of any suburb in NSW. If there was ever a stigma that will take a very long time to lift (assuming that it's actually made any amount of progress at all), that's it right there.

9. larrylarry

It could be a good opportunity for those who are on the ground. @Davothegreat
    Last weekend I spoke to a friend who graduated from Newcastle Uni in 95 about mayfield and the first thing she said was the prostitutions in Mayfield.

10. Raydar

Raydar Well-Known Member

For those interested, this just about sums up Windale.

larrylarry and TMNT like this.
  11. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

coober Peady was the next hot spot about 12-24 months ago,

does any body know whats going on there in terms of RE.

I like reflecting on hot spots and journalists and reports to see what % actually are good or not,

and to keep my feet grounded

12. Darlinghurst Boy

As this is the Windale (Newcastle NSW) thread ... you probaly are better off starting a Cooper Peady thread .:)

13. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

Since then a whole heap of gentrification has taken place an those said prostitutes may now run hipster coffee shops. Or you may still be able to find them on the main street of iso.

samiam likes this.
  14. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

Yeah... Mayfield is not an up and coming suburb any more. Missed that boat at least 4 years ago

15. larrylarry

Mayfield prices are kinda crazy now.

16. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

More like Loserdale :p
    Must be near a certain Lake suburb out that way ;)

larrylarry likes this.
  17. Zeehan

Zeehan Well-Known Member

They have been moved on from Iso now, too.

18. Darlinghurst Boy

Despite a year passing, it has seems this area has not risen.

I did think by now most prices would be high 300's and over 400 but still some houses low 300's and mid.

I do have some faith in this area though.... The "mount druitt" of Newcastle.

Surely it has to rise in price? As more younger couples who cannot afford anything else move to Windale?

19. larrylarry

You bought in windale? Have you sold lake haven and charmhaven?

20. Ald

Ald Well-Known Member

Windale is greatly under estimated. It's well connected with the Pacific highway, the sports centre is very active and the people are actually a tight nit community on the whole. There is trouble at the units but as long as you don't live nearby it's fine, some parts of Windale have sea views and it's close to the beach. Excellent public transport.

samiam likes this.