Wills, and Dealing With Spendthrifts

Discussion in 'Wills & Estate Planning' started by Ted Varrick, 27th Dec, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

It is a situation I had to wrestle with over my Will @Silverghost. Finally decided against a Protective Trust for one beneficiary and elected for Beneficiary Controlled Testamentary Trusts.

Very difficult for me to come to a decision. While I have doubts on whether they will make "correct" financial decisions I couldn't come to the conclusion they didn't have the capacity to make such decisions.

I didn't find it easy at all so best of luck.

Terry_w likes this.
  2. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Is the $100k allocated for alcohol, women, and gambling. The rest of the money they can waste? :)

Terry_w likes this.
  3. Silverghost

Silverghost Well-Known Member

Thanks, SatayKing.

I think one of the most difficult things is trying to decide on the specific objectives and outcomes to be achieved via the will. I've been reflecting on that a while. In my own circumstances, a protective trust seems like the best option to protect the beneficiary from themselves.

SatayKing likes this.
  4. SatayKing

At least you're doing the task difficult (and pricey) though it may be.

Have met a number who either do not have a will, haven't thought in depth about the details ("I'll just split my super equally. It's fair.") or horror of horrors use what I think are those awful free will kits.

Silverghost likes this.
  5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I once had a sample will drawn up by a trustee organisation, who would act as trustee in the event of my demise.

I had two big problems.

One was the wording dividing my estate equally amongst my siblings and their children. It was no more explicit than that - and I felt that it could easily be read in more than one way, should any beneficiary have challenged it.

The other was that they stated that they would take their fees from the estate. But their was no mention of how much they would take. They could have taken 100% legally.

Angel and SatayKing like this.
  6. SatayKing

Thanks @geoffw.

Although this thread is on one specific aspect it is such a vast subject. It seems to be a can of worms with each Will being unique in it's own way.

Lots of good information in threads of this nature. I've picked up some very useful information and I must say I appreciate the thoughts of @Terry_w and others who post.

Personally, I disliked having to do my Will for various reasons including one strained family relationship. Fortunately, I was able to deal with a legal firm where they listened, worked with me through the process and didn't just tick boxes.

Silverghost, Ted Varrick, TAJ and 3 others like this.
  7. Silverghost

Silverghost Well-Known Member

Sorting through these issues is tricky. But an investment up front in time and cost to update my will should hopefully save a whole lot more hassle, time and cost later for my loved ones trying to sort out my estate once I'm dead.

And while I'm middle aged, you never know when you're number may be up. Last week most of a large gum tree on my block fell without warning. I'm outside a lot, and had walked under that tree many times that day. Wrong place, wrong time, and I would have been cactus. Time to get that updated will sorted!

Terry_w and SatayKing like this.
  8. SatayKing

Impressive @Silverghost.

The only success I know of when touching on these issues was when I was driving a neighbour back from the airport.

Initial question was if they should see a financial planner. Usual worry about low interest rates and such. I skirted around that and later gave them some links to look at but it got down to what the family had in place should the worst happen. Caring for the needs of young children and the like.

Heard back they are getting the ball rolling. Indicated only after those matters are in place will they investigate investing.

Do not know specific details as it's none of my business but it was nice to get some positive news.

9. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

They will have a scale rate. eg Public Trustee NSW. They have a nice business of drafting wills for free on the proviso they are executor. And then there are those who die without a will. State law appoints them.

I would add another concern....They can make choices no family member has input in. eg They may sell an asset which you all agree should be retained. eg John McGrath's mum dies without a will. Her home is to be sold by the public trustee. John says - I will sell it and wont charge a commission or any fees. They can ignore him. He says I will buy it. They say - attend the auction.

This issue can seriously impact children too. They can hold assets on trust and arent answerable to anyone.

Executor Fees and Charges | The NSW Trustee and Guardian

Last edited: 6th Jan, 2020
    MWI and geoffw like this.
  10. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Very informative Paul, thanks for this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia