Williamstown

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by ATANG, 20th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

Anybody familiar or lived in the suburb?

* How's the crime rate like?
    * Is transport/ train line reliable? Frequent?
    * How's the amenities? What area/ streets are better?
    * Any difference between Williamstown North and Williamstown?
    * Is no car port/ garage a common thing there? Do people don't really get fussed abt that?
    * Any good schools there?

2. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

Some answers for you, from a western suburbs local:

* Crime rate is low. It's considered extremely upper class (if that matters to you)
    * Transport is excellent, quick and easy train to the city via Footscray. Frequent and reliable, traffic can be a bit of a pain though, but it's close enough to bike into town if that's your thing
    * Everything is in your lap, I'd probably buy close to the beach and as far away from the housing commission extravaganza as you can (it's on the Yarra River side of the suburb)
    * Not really sure to be honest!
    * Older homes in inner areas like Willy don't usually have garages, but the wide streets are easy to park on
    * Williamstown High is considered one of the best in Melbourne

If you are looking in that particular direction try considering Footscray and Yarraville too, even waterfront areas of Geelong would suit if you're keen on the beach. Are you looking at a place of residence or investment home?

3. laam

laam Active Member

I live in Newport but can echo the above, except I'd say that public transport isn't great to Williamstown, in non peak times it requires a change of train at Newport. Peak times there is a direct train except its only once every 20mins.

Williamstown Rd is often packed with cars. Any sunny day or in peak times, but the area in general benefits from being not on the way to anything, so there is no through traffic. And with all Western suburbs you're dependent on the Westgate.

Big difference in price between Williamstown North and Williamstown, northern area much cheaper and more comparable in lifestyle to Newport. Id rather live in Newport than Williamstown North.

I'd have no issues being near the housing commission areas or beach. Both have their benefits as the housing commission area is next to the main restaurant strip.

Also check you're within the highschool zone as its quite small

4. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

How to check the school zone? I went to school website but it only mentions enrolment would be prioritised to those living close to the school...o_Oo_O

What would you say abt the difference of Newport vs WN?

5. laam

laam Active Member

I use this for the high school zones. Maybe that isn't so accurate.
    Williamstown High School Zone

My thoughts on Williamstown North is that it sits off to the side of the main Williamstown area. As such it doesn't really have many walkable amenities, which is similar to the beach side of Williamstown but obviously without the beach drawcard, but is a very short drive to everything.

Main area of Newport has the town centre within walking distance and much better public transport access with trains every 5mins peak.

I also thought most of the housing was ugly 70s style in Williamstown North, but a quick browse on RE shows I must just be looking down the wrong streets, seems to be a good mix of period homes, similar to Newport.