Will you give commercial tenants a rent holiday?

Discussion in 'Commercial Property' started by danvestor, 20th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

No it isn't but it reflects on new leases elsewhere.

spludgey likes this.
  2. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Last year suggested rental was $34k now listed for $27k only two viewing this year

3. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Lol he told me he just rented it... did he get ripped off? Must be diff size?

4. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Are you putting in a power substation ?

5. FireDragon

FireDragon Well-Known Member

Yes that's correct. The medical imaging company needs lots of electricity and they are paying half of the substation cost.

6. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Great move .
    I like it when the tenant makes a large capital commitment to the property !

Archaon and The Y-man like this.
  7. danvestor

danvestor Well-Known Member

I think because the State govs will probably force hands, and the banks have put their hands up and are giving mortgage relief. I know for me turnover has dropped to 10% and will be 0% as of Monday when we close to save money. Haven't talked to LL yet but hoping he has a mortgage and the banks will hold the bag.

Also, he would never ever be able to rerent now, market has crashed and vacancies everywhere so it's in his interest to keep us long term, past this 3 or 6 month downturn.

8. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

It sounds like it's not really mortgage relief and pausing your mortgage will actually result in paying a greater total amount to the bank. And in return you want to take less money from your tenants? Does not compute for me!

Terry_w likes this.
  9. FXD

FXD Well-Known Member

My main concern is reduced rent relief even temporary by few landlords may set the tone for
    upcoming market review for many others!!!

Given the context we are in, if tenant has to close up biz permanently and unable to serve out
    lease, will landlord be able to forfeit the security bond as a bit of relief in lieu of missed rents
    going forward?

OTOH, I think I've seen The Age live update briefly mentioning there may be rent rescue package
    coming for commercial tenants. Anyone heard something similar?

Thanks,
    FXD

10. danvestor

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...-protected-from-eviction-20200325-p54dvl.html

Apparently trying to decide whether to pay tenants directly to pay the landlords, pay landlords directly or pay the banks to give the relief.

Modelling shows its the only way for the economy to stage a relatively quick recovery.

11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Not all property owners have mortgages, so the relief would not be equitable if it were paid to the Banks.

Handyandy, Terry_w and Brumbie like this.
  12. Omnidragon

Oh imagine the number of people taking advantage of this. Also a tenant has less security.

If I run a chicken shop and amass too much rent in arrears I can walk. A landlord can’t walk on a bank. Moral hazard issue.

Beano likes this.
  13. FXD

FXD Well-Known Member

maybe worthwhile clarifying claim eligibility for rent default cover during pandemic with your
    insurance if you have happen to have taken out such cover. I am sure there may be lots of fine
    prints lol

14. CSDS

CSDS Well-Known Member

I am biased as a landlord but if banks are giving payment holidays to mortgage holders and the P and I eventually still needs to be repaid then why can't landlords do that with tenants? Don't evict them but put rent payments on hold and they resume paying rent and what is in arrears once the economy starts moving again?

15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

How do you ensure your tenant is going to pay normal rent plus try to catch up at the end of this terrible situation?

I'm happy to work with our tenants. We are good landlords. But I'm not keen on tenants jumping on the bandwagon and expecting to pay reduced rent when they still have a job. And I'm more than happy if rents deflate generally that they can move to a cheaper house if they decide to do that.

If a tenant said to me they would move to a lower rent property, I'd certainly prefer to keep them and reduce the rent. We have done that before and will do it again. We work with the situation we are faced with.

Just as renters hate being lumped into the "you spend all your money and don't save for a rainy day", landlords also hate being lumped into "you are rich, greedy landlords who don't care about your tenants".

Beano likes this.
  16. Omnidragon

Oh I can see the number of tenants not pay rent, and then do a runner. Of course there are good people too, but the govt has just opened the floodgate of temptation.

17. danvestor

This was really focused on commercial tenancies, where I don't see an ability or willingness to backpay the lost rent, no matter how reduced it is.

I'd prefer to break my tenancy now and forfeit my security than try and repay 6 months rent once we re-open. And the LL would be worse off, there's no way he's re-renting it out in the next year at least, heaps of properties around us are empty and have been for a long time.

18. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Ahh yes, too many threads - I've changed the title to make it more clear that this is commercial tenancies and I'll move my post to a more appropriate thread.

19. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

if gov support, payment to the Pms trust account may be the most transparent

ta

rolf

20. Hockey Monkey

Hockey Monkey Well-Known Member

On our two small retail shops that sell discretionary items (homewares and cosmetics), we have offered a 2/3 rent reduction for 3 months (ie pay 1/3 of the rent) with outgoings still needing to be paid. No need to catch up later.

| hope they are also eligible for government payments like JobKeeper etc.