Will you download the Covid19 Location App?

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Terry_w, 14th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
?

Will you download and use the Covit19 Location App?

1. Yes

68 vote(s)
    55.3%
  2. No

55 vote(s)
    44.7%
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

As we are allowed to go out more, this app will prove its worth I believe. Right now, most of us won't be having much interaction with others, but that will change.

geoffw likes this.
  2. wylie

Those issues, if they ever arise, will have much more pushback than this app is having from people who don't trust it. That's understandable.

3. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Agreed.

No doubt I'll be one of the first back at the archery club when it opens. Hopefully by that time the source code will be released and there will be some scrutiny of the things that concern me about this app.

Everyone is talking about privacy, which is something I'm not at all concerned about. Looking at the information available I think this has been covered fairly well and frankly the privacy horse bolted a long time ago.

I do like the intention of the app and I want to use it, but I don't think people are talking about the real issues with it. I expect that most of my concerns will be addressed when the source code is released. Until then I'll stay at home.

Westminster likes this.
  4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

For those people with a more technical background who are still undecided, you might want to sign up for this webinar tonight (6:30pm AEST): COVIDSafe App Teardown & Panel Discussion

Join us for a detailed look at the Australian COVIDSafe app with some industry experts.

Agenda:

Troy Hunt : Discusison of privacy & identity - Considerations for people on the fence about using COVIDSafe

Matthew Robbins: Initial App Teardown and Walkthrough

Geoffrey Huntley: Further App Teardown and Comments

Panel discussion:
    • Chair: Alec Tucker
    • Panel: Kate Carruthers, Troy Hunt, Matthew Robbins, Geoffrey Huntley
    Based on the panel, I'd suggest that this is likely to be quite a technical discussion.

5. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

@Peter_Tersteeg the source code will be available shortly, assuming the Australian Signals Directorate’s Australian Cyber Security Centre approves (from what I've read about the app - I have no reason to believe there is any reason not to release it).

Some of the people in the panel discussion I linked to above have successfully decompiled the app which gives them access to clear code that is practically as good as the original source code.

The fact that the government did not obfuscate the source code (which is common when releasing apps - to prevent decompilation) makes it easy for people to examine the code.

Based on the discussions and analysis already available, I'd suggest that waiting for the source code is just kicking the can down the road - which is not unreasonable if you just want more time to decide. In my opinion, we already have everything we need to know about how the app functions at a low level, to make an informed decision.

6. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

This week WA has started to roll back some of the restrictions. Schools back if parents chose to send their kids. Up to 10 people can congregate indoor or outdoor, as long as they maintain social distancing.

This roll back was based on good, well communicated, policies on social restrictions, closure of borders, quarantining of travellers entering the state; and very high compliance by the population.

It wasn't dependent on an app, and don't need to be in the future.

zagi and MTR like this.
  7. wylie

I agree with all that, but I'm happy to have it as we open up more and more.

The one thing that I don't understand is that whilst we can contact and trace because we have such low numbers, as soon as we allow travellers back into Australia, we will likely spike again.

I wonder how long they will stop travellers entering Australia?

And if they allow visitors in, hopefully they will check temperatures as they enter. I don't think that was happening just before lock down. Hopefully they are getting this in place now.

kierank likes this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

can see what States have lifted restrictions, link below

our Premier has done an amazing job

When will Australia reopen post COVID-19

Last edited: 29th Apr, 2020
  9. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

Downloaded the app as have friends, with so many apps already knowing what you do and where you go, whats 1 more

spludgey, Nicho and geoffw like this.
  10. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

And probably none of those apps have the ability to potentially save your health or even your life. Even if the chance is small, I'll take it.

spludgey, HUGH72, Observer and 2 others like this.
  11. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I'd say it's going to be a loooonnngggg time before they open the borders. First it might be with NZ and have a nice little safe bubble, then it might be to "safe" countries but still with the 14 days quarantine (I can't really think of any that would be deemed safe this year though). I'm not seeing truly open borders in my mind, until 2021 sometime

Observer, mrdobalina and kierank like this.
  12. wylie

I'm so glad we did a fair bit of travelling these past couple of years because I doubt we'll get overseas again any time soon. I wouldn't want to either really.

13. Butterfly88

Butterfly88 Well-Known Member

Hubby and I were just saying the same. We've been all over the place the last couple of years, so quite happy to explore our own backyard for a bit.

kierank, Observer, wylie and 2 others like this.
  14. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Literally your own backyard is all you've been allowed recently :p

Biggbird, craigc, Butterfly88 and 2 others like this.
  15. random

random Well-Known Member

Don't like it or trust it , just more Australian nanny state and one step closer to us all being chipped their ultimate dream no matter what they tell us right now

MTR likes this.
  16. Speede

Speede Well-Known Member

17. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

18. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

It's probably already keeping a log of the other phones you have come into contact with though.
    Just the final bits compliance-wise to sort out.

Terry_w likes this.
  19. Speede

Speede Well-Known Member

"The DTA chief executive also confirmed the app's source code, which had been promised by Government Services Minister Stuart Robert to be released in full, would be partially published by early next week."

20. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Mum attempted to load the app on her phone - not compatible. So she won't get the app, so much for providing contact tracing for the more vulnerable.