QLD Will Woodridge & Logan Central ever improve?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by TyroneS, 19th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

As BA, could you provide some of your research and analysis that you have a view that Woodridge has an "worse appearance and stigma" than say Logan Central? Is it based on housing commission, past growth/decrease, crime, rental vacancy..?

Yes we can agree to disagree, and even Buyers Agent are distinctly different in their view. Here in Post #21, a QLD BA has purchased in Woodridge... and had not major problems with tenants..

2. sash

sash Well-Known Member

agrree with that. brisbane does not have the issues with supply sydney has. woodridge and kingston have lots of issues. better oarts of logan willperform over the longer term

3. excelthoughts

excelthoughts New Member

I've owned a 3br unit in a body corporate block in the area between Smith Rd and Compton Rd since 2009 (bought at 200K), and the price has dropped by 20% and is only just coming back now.

Note: Prices for 3br units in 2001 were median of 45K, so a 400% increase in 8 years.

I'm not sure whether to hold for another say 4 years in the hope of another capital gain period.

Also as an aside: I did have another unit in the area and had it vandalised by a tenant.

melbournian likes this.
  4. sash

sash Well-Known Member

yep dare people to go there and walk around on a friday and saturday night

Ekin200 likes this.
  5. Beanie Girl

Beanie Girl Well-Known Member

Sash, there are lots of pleasant quiet family friendly streets in Woodridge, Logan Central and Kingston.
    You just don't know the areas very well
    Speaking of which there are plenty of Melbourne and Sydney suburbs people dare not walk alone at night either :p

RetireRich101 and MikeyBallarat like this.
  6. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Been there.....does not appeal...lots Brisbane locals won't go into Kingston and Woodridge.

Yep....there are some Sydney suburbs...also

7. RetireRich101

Did Tregear in Sydney have street appeal? Would you walk in the middle of night at Bidwill? Did Letho gentrify in the last 10, 20 years.? Would I live in Whalan personally?
    Do you think next 10, 20 years it will gentrify?

My answer is no

Did those low social eco doubled along with rest of Sydney in this present cycle? And last cycle?

Then my answer is yes

Now for Kingston and Woodridge...
    Does it have street appeal? Would I walk in the middle of night? Did it gentrify last 10, 20 years? Would I live there personally?
    Do I think it will gentrify in the next 10,20 years

My answer is also no

Did Woodridge and Kingston suburbs doubled in the last cycle?

My answer is yes

Will it double in the future?

This depends on Brisbane wide

If the Brisbane locals don't live in those suburbs, who does live there?
    even there are high % of renters, aren't they consider as Brisbane locals? Even they are renters Pacific Islander, India South African, Samoan they are also local.

These people run their own race and have their own tight ecosystem.

Another question to ask is, if you are not Asian would you live in Eastwood Hurstville ?

Starbright and Sunshine99 like this.
  8. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

+ Quote
    i'm Asian and I would not live in Eastwood or Hurstville. :)

RetireRich101 likes this.
  9. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I'm Asian heritage and I'm intimidated by how Chinese Eastwood (West Side) is to be honest! Wasn't like that when I was a kid. But the restaurants are great. And the seafood.

RetireRich101 likes this.
  10. RetireRich101

My partner would rather live in Mt Druitt then Eastwood.. and she's Asian , but we 're happy to go Eastwood for food every so and so.. so similar belief as you Gockie :)

My point being, Kingston, Woodridge and Logan Central create an ecosystem certain race/cultural that took place over a number of years.. that outside this ecosystem they see it as a poor image...

Other people can continue to bag the SES of Logan City (no, not saying you Gockie or Larry :)) but Kingston and Woodridge seem to deliver an average 8% per year increase over the last 3 years.. Nothing spectacular, just leveled out with wider Brisbane growth..

Corkey and Starbright like this.
  11. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about Logan. I just found your last statement interesting. Certainly, Asian migrants would flock to Asian burbs but not every Asian would want to live in these burbs. Maybe @Gockie and I are not representative of Asians in Sydney. Yes, the food is good in Eastwood and I only venture out there for food. :)

12. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

My only choice of Asian suburb in Sydney - Chatswood ;) Not a fan of the rest.
    What's the population culture like in Logan areas?

13. RetireRich101

Eastwood has made itself as a culturally an Asian suburb over the years..... Some/most Asian will flock to there and would paid a premium in the realestate space. However you, I and Gockie would prefer not to live there for what ever reason... However I am on the view that most non-Asian would not prefer to live in Eastwood once they have been there... I am not saying anything bad about Eastwood...it's just a culturally better fit for an Asian community.

Now with Kingston and Woodridge... similar pattern has formed over the years.. a large percentage of Pacific Islander, Samoian and Africans... along with some Bogans and some local tradies live there. They have established their own culture and ecosystem over the year...
    I maybe over generalizing here, but I have accepted these people rough, are on low income and some/most of them are on government benefits and a large pool of renters..

14. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Not too long ago i moved to a beautiful green place full of nature and clean air. Unfortunately it had attracted a 'type' and that 'type' was causing pain to decent folk (like me). It is hard to describe them .... but they all drive mercedes and act like *******. They appear to have had all colour washed from their skin - pasty faced. except for the wives who would gossip and spread poison up and down the streets. They were painted like clowns. They appear to feel entitled, do very little but criticise others, and they run in packs. I once put my wheely bin out empty (there was a hazard underfoot which i covered with the bin). The bin was filled with little bags of dog **** from these painted mercedes loving *******. They spend a lot of time ringing the council. Especially if you have a dog and you live next door to them.

In my new suburb no-one puts dogshit in my bin. They are not that filthy. They don't drive mercedes either or ring the council. The colour is not washed out from their skin, there are all different cultures and values. Some of them sing very loudly!!

I think they also

15. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

Maybe in Sydney - eastwood is like that - but in Melbourne (no.1 & 2 ) favourite Asian suburbs - balwyn and Glen Waverley attract a mixed bag (you got aussies, greeks, Italians, Chinese, Indonesian) all bidding in auction.

IN melbourne Demographics can change and affect a suburb overnight. It requires suburbs like ashwood/ chadstone in melbourne was rough and probably still is - remember someone shouting swear words at me while I was taking some photos. But distance to universities & shopping mall, changes to the people in there gentrification changes the overall suburb. Things can grow slowly but ultimately an investor wants the biggest growth for dollar. Doveton which is reknowed for having poor demographics - ranked as foreclosure capital of Victoria at one stage. If rents don't rise, and if people cannot afford to pay the mortgage, properties foreclosed - prices goes backwards.

boganfromlogan likes this.