QLD Will Woodridge & Logan Central ever improve?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by TyroneS, 19th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. patience

patience Member

Thanks mate, very helpful.

Is there a particular reason you feel as though the zoning may change in the near future, or just a gut feeling?

How have you found rental demand in this area?

2. Michael_X

Michael_X Mortgage Broker Business Member

Mostly from speaking to agents and also proximity to facilities.

That section in Woodridge between Smith Rd and Compton Rd, sections are already zoned Medium Density.

Depends on the product. I've found larger properties to be easier to lease out, had a normal 3 bedroom highset that took almost 4 weeks to lease at the beginning of the year. A dual living property leased within the first open with multiple applications. The product needs to match the target market.

Get a good property manager, this is key.

Cheers,
    Michael

KingBendtner, bob shovel and Simon L like this.
  3. TyroneS

TyroneS Well-Known Member

Hi Michael,

Also can you provide any info on Marsden as well? Which areas to avoid, and what you think the area is like?

Many thanks

Tyrone

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Start small. Be consistent. And watch massive change take hold.

4. patience

patience Member

Are your Logan properties mainly located in the Woodridge/Logan Central/Slacks Creek region Michael? If so, what are your reasons for this?

I'm still trying to get my head around the different areas of Logan but have noticed some posters with a preference for Sunnybank area however it appears the Logan Central area may provide more of a yield play.

Are there any gentrification projects/strategies being undertaken by the local council?

Cheers

5. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

No one in their right mind buys Logan (most of it anyway) over Sunnybank if money is no object.

But yes yield is much better, can't compare. If you're in it for yield then Logan is the clear winner. It's apples and oranges. Not even worth comparing really.

6. Michael_X

Don't really discriminate on suburbs, just where the deal presents itself. So far have bought in the following suburbs - Logan Central, Woodridge, Kingston, Bethania, Beenleigh, Waterford West & Slacks Creek.

Reason is for properties that are neutral or positively geared. My goal for property investing has been to quit work, so every purchase was with the aim to take me closer to my goal.

There are many parts to Logan Council, spend some time and have a look through the different suburbs. The most common feedback I get after spending time with people there is 'It's not as bad as what everyone says'

Cheers,
    Michael

Taku Ekanayake and Simon L like this.
  7. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

That's true. Even the worst parts of Australia are relatively tame. I drove through the back streets of Baltimore once at like 11pm and that sent a shiver down my spine.

Michael_X likes this.
  8. Michael_X

Marsden is further out, so further away from shops, station and Brisbane CBD. The quality of tenants is better than Logan Central, Kingston and Woodridge. You can also get 1,000+sqm blocks in Marsden where they are rarer closer to Logan.

So a trade off, closeness to amenities vs quality of tenants.

Stay away from the north of Marsden, it's flood zoned and has mosquito problems during summer.

I've noticed Logan Central, Kingston and Woodridge to be picking up quite a bit with investor activity and suburbs further out like Marsden, Crestmead, Bethania etc haven't moved as much.

Cheers,
    Michael

Simon L likes this.
  9. Simon L

Simon L Well-Known Member

Agree with Michael's comments.

Will never turn a good deal down if the numbers stacked up regardless of location, but I have always liked suburbs further away from Logan Central, Woodridge, and Kingston as these have a sense of being less run down with newer (project) homes built over the years and a quieter suburbia feel.
    A look at some historical prices between 2006 - 2009 when the area last peaked suggest Loganlea, Waterford West, Marsden, Crestmead down to even Mount Warren Park were higher than Logan Central areas (some Mount Warren Park sales nowadays are quite astonishing compared to just 12 months ago!)

I think the new Beenleigh centre plans will really help create a new hub and also build up once frowned upon suburbs like Eagleby.

10. TyroneS

TyroneS Well-Known Member

That's awesome. I'll take a look into Marsden and the other recommended suburbs from Simon L.

Thanks for your replies.

11. Daniel007

Daniel007 Well-Known Member

Awesome info, thanks mate

12. Drunkanbarbarian

Drunkanbarbarian Well-Known Member

Can you share which suburbs you brought those 2 ips in ?

13. Luke T

Luke T Well-Known Member

I dont know whyt but woodridge seems to just have a really dark feeling and appreance ,
    I reckon slacks creek and logan central anyday as they are not much different in price ,so not sure why people buy in woodridge and put up with the stigma etc

14. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Woodridge, Marsden, Inala...
    Logan in general to Brisbane locals.

15. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

How many properties do you have in the region?

16. Luke T

Luke T Well-Known Member

I am a sydneyite with a property investment mentoring business also working as a qld buyers agent helping investors (mostly from sydney)so i have looked at hundreds and monitored the area since c2013.
    I and my clients own property in the area as well as other growth areas in qld

17. Beanie Girl

Beanie Girl Well-Known Member

Sorry, Luke, with all due respect, people can own property in Logan or be a buyer's agent but still not know it well at all.
    Your statements about Woodridge vis-a-vis in comparison to Logan Central/Slacks Creek show a distinct lack of knowledge about the history of the suburbs, the re-drawing of boundaries, the re-naming of suburbs etc
    I don't blame you, it takes years of diligent research and collating of all information you come across - info on the Internet, talking to re agents, experience on the ground, buying, selling, reading all the ads that come up over the years, what it says and actually considering each property with respect to its features, location, topography, contour maps, zoning etc

MikeyBallarat likes this.
  18. Luke T

Luke T Well-Known Member

Not sure how you can judge that i dont know how to research LOL on one statement i made on woodridge ??
    Sorry Beanie Girl and others i didnt mean to offend !
    For what its worth i am not saying you cant make money out of it (woodridge) and that it wont grow of course but my opinion is there are more positive areas for growth in slacks creek and central than in woodridge and it doesnt have as much bad stigma ( especially slacks creek)

19. Beanie Girl

Beanie Girl Well-Known Member

Lol, Luke, not offended at all:)
    just saying that a blanket statement that one suburb is better than another can be misleading
    For instance, there are parts of Slacks Creek I would not touch, not because of stigma, but because of other issues
    Similarly, for Woodridge and Logan Central

RetireRich101 likes this.
  20. Luke T

Luke T Well-Known Member

I agree
    BUT
    at the moment Its the way it is with people (the fact that woodridge has a worse appearance and stigma in general than the others)and i have to agree generally.
    But lets agree to disagree !!!