NSW Will Western Sydney become Unlivable in the Future?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by pjames, 8th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. pjames

pjames Well-Known Member

Sydney is seeing records smashed year after year with heatwave after heatwave and soaring temperatures that are smashing all previous records. Again this weekend people in western Sydney will face temperatures you would normally have in the extreme desert.

Will these properties crash in price in the future when people realize the area is very uncomfortable to live there and as the temperature keep climbing to levels that the human body can not tolerate? Will the average summer temperture reach in the 50's over the next few years?

I expect coastal properties will increase in price and people will continue moving up to the Central Coast and Newcastle or south rather than move out west.

Found this on Herald News:

from http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...s/news-story/fa4b62e3faa2db1169df295768462f37

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

3. freyja

freyja Well-Known Member

I don't think so in my lifetime. The heatwaves are only during summer and not each and every day. Even if temperatures increase on the few extreme days a year, or heatwaves extend for an extra day or two in length, I wouldn't call it 'unlivable'. People are pretty sensible in hot weather - stay inside, drink plenty of water, crank the aircon (or head to air conditioned spaces if they don't have it). It's part of living in Australia, although more extreme in Western Sydney. I think house prices reflect this already and will continue to in the future but I don't see a crash based on summer temperatures in the near future.

Propertunity likes this.
  4. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Kindly leave the stage =========>

beertank23 likes this.
  5. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

"It was the highest minimum on record. The previous record was set on Christmas Day 1858, when it dropped to 26.3C"

So it begs the question, where was global warming in 1858? We only just managed to break the record in 2017 some 150+ years later.................move along, nothing to see here!

6. Wukong

Wukong Well-Known Member

7. Rolo

Rolo Well-Known Member

You acclimatise. And it's a dry heat, not too humid

8. House

House Well-Known Member

Lol no. First summer living in Rooty/The Wild Wild West and it's fine. Some uncomfortable nights but nothing more and you're in your t-shirt and shorts in the AC once you're at home so pretty bearable.

Predicted 43 degrees on Friday... so told the boss I'm taking the day off because I want to sunbake :D

9. RenegadeDom

RenegadeDom Well-Known Member

Yeah we're selling up as we speak...going to buy a house boat

10. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Be careful what mind altering substances you take......and keep away from internet forums once consumed :D

A few hot days and everyone goes to water, this is not new you know, going to water or warm weather.

bob shovel likes this.
  11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I somewhat agree - Western Sydney has been unliveable ever since MacArthur started farming & breeding merinos out there. ;)

12. dabbler

The Airport is also going to generate a lot of excess hot air, some has even made it's way onto the forum !

Will be like a blast furnace around Bodgey Creek

13. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

heat might increase but theres places all over the world hotter than here

also air con is damn cheap ($750 installed last time for an ip)

14. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

I'm about to break my lease to move to a house with ducted air. Yep, I'm soft and can't handle the heatwave we've been having. I can't wait to have an office with air con. And for my kids to sleep in their own beds at night instead of on the lounge under the one air con in the house.

15. highlighter

highlighter Well-Known Member

Honestly if this did happen, I feel like property price movements would be the least of our concerns.

ellejay likes this.
  16. dabbler

I am disappointed BG, we like to test ourselves by turning on the gas heater on hot days to make sure we are not going soft and so ready for all that climate change can throw at us :eek::p

Marg4000 and beachgurl like this.
  17. pjames

pjames Well-Known Member

while it might sound like a silly question, I think it;s even more silly to not be able to discuss it openly or at least acknowledge there are rising temperatures. Denying there is a rapid change without researching is ignorant. if someone can provide stats to prove me wrong then I would appreciate as I do hope this won't happen. From what I'm seeing though, some parts of inland Australia where mass populations are living could be dramatically affected by rising temperatures in the near future at the rate things seem to be happening.

The temperatures are rising from my personal observation as I have noticed many more very hot days over the last few years.

On looking up some stats quickly this is backed up by data, there seems to be a dramatic rise in the last few years.
    This data is for Sydney, not just Western Sydney which would be more dramatic I would guess.
    Mean Maximum Temperature - 066062 - Bureau of Meteorology

18. Matthew

Matthew Active Member

As a few mates of mine out west would say 'toughen up princess and drink a glass of concrete'.
    Can't see prices in these areas crashing simply because of weather extremes, it's affordable compared to other parts of Sydney for starters.
    Plant more trees I say, that cools things down.

19. fols

fols Well-Known Member

Yep- too hot in Penrith. They're all gunna sell up and move to Bondi.

20. pjames

pjames Well-Known Member

Penrith is going to be hitting 45 on Sunday.

Might want to read this article:
    ----------
    MAGINE a city where 265 days a year, the temperature rises above 35C.

The residents of Darwin in 2090 will not have to imagine it, because for them, it may well be their reality.

As Australians endure the summer of the seemingly never-ending heatwave, a new report from the Climate Council essentially has one message.

Get used to it.

If the country’s greenhouse gas emissions continue at their current pace, it’s going to get much worse.

[​IMG]
    The independent research body predicts a rapid rise in extreme heat in Australia in the next 73 years, with heatwaves in all Australian capital cities predicted to start earlier and last longer as the effects of greenhouse gas emissions bite in the next decade.
    -------
    read full article here
    Longer and hotter: the summers of our future