Will Valuer care about my atrocious decrepid guttering

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Carol M, 10th Jun, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Carol M

Carol M Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Westpac want full valuation done for a property release (sliding loans over to another security on sale of an IP.)
    But am worried valuer may say house is a "risk" or flag it as in poor condition.
    Not worried if valuer knocks lots off value as there is tons of equity there to cover loans - LVR will be about 30 to 40% no matter how stingy they are.
    Main problem is that guttering on whole house is falling off, rusted out, missing etc. And lots of moss growing on 1 side of tiled roof.
    Husband had meant to get to it all, but has been unwell for a few years now.
    Living in a rural area it did not bother us as rainwater runs through gutter into sandy soil.
    But what will bank do if valuer flags it as high risk, or poor condition.
    Do they care about guttering?
    Also have a very old kitchen, tho functional, and a concrete slab in lounge where we ripped up carpet and have not put down new flooring yet.
    Also have a hole in ceiling in another property being valued, and badly stained walls and ceiling where possums lived in roof a while. Just got rid of possums, but not able to paint before valuation done. I guess IP in need of painting inside is not the end of world, tho will reduce valuation amount?
    Sorry this is so long, should I also worry about the overgrown grass and weeds in part of yard - on an acreage. Ground too wet to get anyone to slash, but looks bad.
    As bank already holds mortgages over these properties, what can they do to force us to repair them/if they consider them in very poor condition? Surely they would not call in the loan?
    We are in process of getting quotes and doing what we can ourselves.
    Thanks

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

wont call in the loans, but valuer may flag as essential repairs

ta
    rolf

3. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Nothing, although could be flagged as essential repairs they don't enforce the repairs.

No such thing.

Cross secured?
    Valuer will make notes about all those things, might not 'care' about them but you certainly should, bad guttering leads to other problems, hole in ceilings leads to water damage, which can then attract termites.
    Properties need to be maintained.

4. Carol M

Carol M Well-Known Member

Thanks. Yeah will be cross secured, but not worried about that. Have done it a few times over the years, and was not hard to uncross when something sold. Just works for us this time, although not ideal in most circumstances. And we will definitely get home fixed asap, though it is so bloody hard getting tradies right now. BTW hole is in ceiling, not roof. Possums have a lot to answer for.

5. Gill Bates

Gill Bates Well-Known Member

I'm curious, how "...hole in ceilings leads to water damage "?
    I do agree that hole in ceiling cause dust and pest entry to house. etc

I agree the leaking gutters can cause soil to be always moist and attract termites - termites need a source of moisture

6. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Ah right ok sorry, I misread it, those possums can sure be a nuisance!

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF