Will this latest Sydney lockdown be the straw that breaks the camels back?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by einentiva, 25th Jun, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

We listed a 2br apartment 3 days ago Doh! Auction is/was to be 20 July. It will probably be rescheduled now - think about it next week

John_BridgeToBricks likes this.
  2. mickyyyy

mickyyyy Well-Known Member

Was watching auctions via facebook live and everything was selling and for over reserve. Now with the lockdown it reinforces the fact for houses and is a reinforcing loop. Onwards and upwards just at a slower upward trajectory.

3. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

Contracts were exchanged on this property today. Very happy with the price and it hasn’t been difficult. Still plenty of interest and all inspections were done privately. Timing could have been a lot better but happy with the result. Postcode 2010

Chabs, yipman, Sackie and 3 others like this.
  4. Mr Burns

Mr Burns Well-Known Member

Strong restrictions are now in place. Going to be lots of people without an income. How many people will be looking to buy property in these conditions?

5. maroon

maroon Well-Known Member

The majority of Sydney property buyers are people who continue to get paid working from home. Add handouts to businesses and savings from being bored at home, there'll probably be a mini flurry when things open up before it settles down again

6. Thedoc

Thedoc Well-Known Member

‘Majority’ you are dreaming.

Brickbybrick and MWI like this.
  7. longtimelurker99

longtimelurker99 Well-Known Member

Blue chips will continue to grow as IT and other white collar workers get paid WFH, lower end suburbs will hurt/stagnate (number of Rhodes listings is high)

8. maroon

maroon Well-Known Member

Are the casual workers doing physical labour and customer service roles buying Sydney's 1+million median?

Thedoc likes this.
  9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

My prediction
    Market sentiment will turn on 30 Dec 2021:)

10. Thedoc

Thedoc Well-Known Member

Hahaha you’re joking right? Gladys just shut down the building industry. Most of my mates that are builders are on $150k plus.

Brickbybrick and MWI like this.
  11. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

All NSW Construction plus around 900,000 workers in Fairfield, Liverpool and Canterbury-Bankstown LGAs that work in any profession other than emergency and health care (these could be transport, taxis, deliveries, staff working for any other small business even butchers or necessities etc.....).
    Interesting times indeed, policies administered on the run as hysteria and paranoia sets in, I would assume on Monday some address by PM and rescue packages...otherwise time will tell?
    Current rescue of $1K per week for sole traders makes around $52K as opposed to $150K plus but unsure how long this will go for?

12. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

No. Short term some wobbles maybe, but that's all short term.
    Just be patient and the boom will continue for sure. Sydney is almost unrivalled in Australia. Melbourne can challenge to a degree, but that's it.

13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Its getting ugly

Moment convoy of trucks and tradie vans block the Sydney Harbour Bridge | Daily Mail Online

14. Speede

Speede Well-Known Member

The lockdowns seem to never effect media, football players, "wannabe" celeberties entering australia...or politicians.

The virus can live on all surfaces except aus post and amazon...it does not live in coles, woolies, aldi or bunnings.

The virus is only deadly in pubs,resturants, small businesses, hair salons, beaches and especially churches. It cannot live on food or drinks as long as you get it to go.

Westie, MWI, Serveman and 4 others like this.
  15. skater

skater Well-Known Member

16. maroon

maroon Well-Known Member

Sure, building industry shuts down and real estate goes quiet for the duration of the lockdown. When they open up, the backlog means roaring business and a short term housing rush. Same story around the globe - stimulus and lockdowns sure are stimulating housing

17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

But other countries are not going into ongoing lockdowns. They are moving on and living with it.

I think Oz and NZ only two countries with zero covid strategy.

MWI likes this.
  18. maroon

maroon Well-Known Member

They were booming amidst lockdowns with no end in sight. London's lockdown that went for months and months for example.

19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Its global boom. Turkey number 1 for booming property market

20. Someguy

Someguy Well-Known Member

I think we are going to see yet more money parachuted into the economy and the boom will have a minor pause before continuing at a faster rate.

Only issue I see is wealthy dual citizens or permanent residents may move overseas to avoid lockdown, taking a decent amount of money out of the economy. That said they will likely be the first ones back when things calm down and will have no trouble being part of that incoming cap. Also If construction was to stop for a decent amount of time there would be sharp decreases in spending on many discretionary goods.

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice