Will these unprecedented stimuli support a much quicker economic recovery?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Sackie, 31st Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. np999

np999 Well-Known Member

Agree.

Some nations might get away with printing a lot of money when most of their debt is denominated in their local currencies, i.e they have a huge amount of local savings that can buy the newly issued gov debt. (Japan, U.S and China come to mind). These countries also have enormous manufacturing capabilities.

Australia is different in the sense that it relies heavily on overseas funding and must import a lot of stuff to keep the country running.

With sharply lower income from tourism/education/resources, printing too much money is a recipe for disaster and those in power know it only too well. Fingers crossed this crisis subside in a few months so we don't need more stimulus of this magnitude.

2. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Spot on. Only US, China and Japan in this day and age can afford to create fake money without eroding their credibility too much.

Because they actually produce something. Between the 3 of them it probably covers off 95% of every item and technological necessity in an average Australian household.

3. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Wasn't a cheap shot, I was just posing a question. There is a negligible correlation between aliens and the share market, but there is a significant link between human life and the fiscal and health policy response to coronavirus.

When you said this:

I interpreted that as you saying the economy might have been better if the virus had been left to run its course. That would obviously have a significant human cost.

If you meant something else, I'm happy to apologise.

Brickbybrick likes this.
  4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@Redom do you think over the next 12-18 months we will see more unprecedented stimuli being handed out to support our economy?

5. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

No. I was simply saying that the virus has a particular impact on the economy and the fiscal policies also have a particular impact on the economy, and that the latter's impact may be greater than the former's. The two are also not mutually exclusive. Apology accepted.

shorty likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia