Will the marriage survive the houses build

Discussion in 'Development' started by Lizzie, 20th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Glad to know we're not the only ones "knocking heads".

We're only getting built to first fix - rough in - however you like to put it - just past lockup - plasterboard up and sanded ... then we're on our own for fit out ... but at least we can pick it off at our own pace, with continuous pressure to make decision

2. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Yeah I think its hard to be 100% pleasant during a build. When youve just stepped on a nail, dropped a lump of wood on your foot, screwed up a job and have to start again losing half a days work, etc... you definitely arent at your most peaceful state of mind.

Good on you doing so much yourself. Youll save a lot of money even doing that much. How much do you reckon youll have saved by doing the finishing touches yourself?

3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Difference in price for all the quotes was around $250,000 ... yep ... we nearly passed out too

Tim86 likes this.
  4. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Holy moley what does 'finishing touches' entail?

Tim86 likes this.
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Lizzie
    I am finding as much as 200k difference in quotes in recent deve don't let this get in the way. Some builders can ask a premium and silly people will pay.

Compare apples with apples, the trade off may be going with a smaller builder, this is my experience over last 18 months, perhaps boom times?

Last edited: 25th Sep, 2016
  6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Apparently painting was $30,000 for the single story house - deck laying (no materials) was $65/m2 ... asked what the kitchen install was, and then said don't bother, just quote to first fix.

We've installed kitchens and bathrooms and everything else before, have all the trades on tap, and reckon we can do the fit out for under $80k

Difference between quotes themselves was up to $100,000, and we were very careful to compare apples with apples

7. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

painting, bathroom and kitchen for 250K. No worries. You'll do a good job, too.