Will regrouting and resiliconing solve this shower leak issue?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Debz, 30th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Debz

Debz Active Member

Hey everyone, another shower leak advice thread but hope to get recommendations. Queensland IP, i am interstate and PM got plumber in to look at issue and take pictures, attached here. Water is leaking out onto carpet and there seemed to have been some door jam rot in the past from the same issue. Plumber said "seal has broken down" but "not worth fixing" old shower and needs replacing/reno, so PM got me 2 quotes.

1st one came back $530 to "regrout and silicon wall", i sked about floor and got quoted another $350.

2nd quote came back $688+GST for new 3 panel shower screen to replace poor fitting shower screen, said it has to be made to order, plus $2580+GST to remove shower screen, all tiles from wall, floor, hob, waterproof and supply new tiles. They did say where possible they may be able to replace bottom row and floor tiles, but quote doesn't include whatever else they find behind the tiles. Approx $3500 job!

Honestly i have not much confidence in either quotes, thinking of getting a 3rd. What does everyone think? Was planning on renovating the whole bathroom down the road but not now so don't want to be blowing too much money now, but then again i may not have a choice. :/

The shower screen does look rusty and seen better days, also i may need to look at the door jam and surrounds to prevent termites.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If you need to spend $3,500 fixing it, wouldn't it be better to get quotes to redo the bathroom now?

Is there a second bathroom while this is out of action? If not, then you'd need to arrange to hire a builders toilet as an absolute minimum, but realistically you'd also have to compensate the tenant for having no bathroom, even if they were happy for a week with a builder's loo.

Friends of ours just priced up a little "bathroom caravan" to use while they renovate and that comes to about $400 per week. They are going to rent a house instead.

Alternatively, wait until they leave and do it while it is empty... or go with the $530 to grout and silicon until you can have it empty.

3. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

If it helps, I have the same issue in NSW. First quote via PM for removal of tiles, breakout plasterboard, re board, waterproof and re-tile was $2500 plus GST. Second quote I got myself, this plumber doesn't bother even looking to come quote, he does them "fixed price", $2200 including GST for strip out, rewall, re waterproof and re-tile for a single shower and they take about two weeks all up as you have to wait for each layer of waterproofing to dry properly between coats. He said about another $800 on top if we need a new screen, (only single screen in ours though). Good luck.

4. Debz

Debz Active Member

Thanks for replies guys, i will most likely go with the cheaper quote of $880 to regrout and recaulk everything, but also ask for a quote on a new screen. But if the tenant moves out which is likely as they are delaying the signing of a new lease, i may consider a reno. Currently the toilet is seperate to the bathroom.

Added another pic here to show layout of bathroom. How much do you guys think i should budget for a basic cheap bathroom reno, with polymarble base, semi-frameless screen, new vanity, tiles etc.?

[​IMG]

5. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Personally I'd be sus if all that water under the carpet (through the doorway) is actually due to grout issues.
    At a guess I'd say either the shower screen door isn't being closed when showering (perhaps little ones or the runners are crap so they can't be stuffed fighting it so leave it open) or perhaps they've overflowed the bath a few times and the floor drain has been covered with a mat or towel etc.

If closed, unlike other showers it doesn't have a raised ~120mm box/gutter, the only thing stopping floor splashing water coming out onto the main floor is the bottom track. I've never had this so not sure on options.

Most of the stuff in the pics seems to be slack cleaning, however there is some grout loss which is easily patched.
    Won't go into the science (google it) but grout loss can be due to using bleach.

6. Debz

Debz Active Member

Thanks WestOz,what you pointed out does make sense, and is a possibility. I am in the process of arranging more quotes , will see what they say.

7. kitdoctor

kitdoctor Well-Known Member

My 20c worth is wood rot indicates long term dampness. Problems can also arise with failure of the water proofing membrane that is behind "wet" areas.