Will it add value?

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by Valentino, 31st Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Valentino

Valentino Well-Known Member

We need to put a loo in the bathroom at our ip. There's currently only one in the internal laundry. The easiest n cheapest is to put it against back wall in direct line of the door. Currently U walk in and on right is shower n then vanity. But others think it would look better if we moved the vanity to the left and put the loo where vanity is. So that when you open door ur greeted not by a loo but by a vanity. We plan to hold this for a long time; and will it REALLY make any extra value if we need an equity loan?? I think just put it in.

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I would just put it in, unless It is visible from another room if the bathroom door is left open. You don't want a view of the loo from the living room!

But get quotes for both options before you proceed. Weigh up the advantage of aesthetics versus the increased cost, taking a long term view.
    Marg

Perthguy and Stoffo like this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'm with Marg. If you can add a second loo into an IP it is a good thing. And if you can rearrange the room so that you can tuck it behind a door, even better.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Your vanity will have a 38-50mm waste pipe but the toilet requires 100mm. Vanity has h/c water.

The plumber will be best able to determine the costs of getting the drainage sorted but you might want to completely redo the bathroom at the same time. Hire a temporary shower block for the inconvenience .

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If the house is on stumps, a new loo could be added very easily, even with moving a vanity, but if it is a slab that is trickier.

I'd be loath to ask tenants to use a temporary shower block though. I would ask tenants if they are happy to allow a plumber in (if it is a very quick job to add the loo and move the vanity). They should be able to continue to use the shower (depending on a few things of course).

Tenants might be happy to lose the use of the vanity for a few days to gain a second loo but get it in writing so they cannot come back and claim money off the rent for the inconvenience.

Or wait until you can do this between tenants.

6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Even if you are on a slab, so long as both the new loo and basin are on an outside wall the plumbing can usually go out through the wall.
    Marg

7. Valentino

Valentino Well-Known Member

We will just put it in and a gentle door closed. Yes it can be seen from living room if bathroom door and living room door are open. Plumber said yes can move both but then would need to retile where vanity n large mirror were... Gets expensive and no real big benefit.