Will Centrelink Benefits affect your loan application?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Anjohn, 14th Nov, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Anjohn

Anjohn Well-Known Member

Hi, will the lender be concerned if they see borrowers are getting Centrelink payments such as Job seeker/keeper, FTB etc? I’m thinking to apply for these benefits but I’m not sure how would a lender view my investment loan application?

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Jobseeker...................no go

Job keeper - depends - administered via employer

Ongoing Centrelink allowances can work to improve borrowing on a case by case basis.

ta
    rolf

3. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Most Centrelink benefits don't affect your adversely affect your application and many lenders will recognise some benefits.

As Rolf said, lenders aren't going to accept Jobseeker. They want to see that you're employed.

One point though, being on Jobseeker won't affect an application later on. You'll still be able to qualify for a loan if you were on Jobseeker but have a job (with an income) at the time of application.

4. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

Jobkeeper wont show as a benefit as such. It's a payment to your employer who then passes it to you. Essentially all jobkeeper will show up as is your wage/salary at the reveleant JK amount.

Jobseeker is for unemployment so I cant see a lender being thrilled about you not actually earning a living.

5. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Speak to a broker before applying for any finance

Paul@PAS likes this.
  6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Jobkeeper is paid to employers, not employees. However a sole trader or eligible business participant may receive it directly. It is likely a red flag for any credit application and a matter for broker guidance as such person will be self employed and need to address this anyway. It may be a simple matter for demonstrating that turnover and activity has resumed.

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.