Will Brisbane + Gold Coast (QLD) surpass Melbourne (VIC)?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Arecaceae, 13th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Yes.

Regional growth at the coast (s) will under pin it. Logan will be VERY attractive then :)

Hamish84 likes this.
  2. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

Are you running for Logan council premier?
    You will get my vote any day as you care so much for Logan area.

boganfromlogan and LP7 like this.
  3. Boss

Boss Well-Known Member

Eliza Owen (Core Logic head of research ) is long term bullish on Brisbane and SEQLD (at the 17 min mark of the clip).

She is much less bullish on Melbourne though...

Hamish84 likes this.
  4. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

- ASX 200 are mostly slowly dying giants. Any city that’s too reliant on these white elephants will have a hard time in near future - see what happened in a lot of US cities full of Fortune 500 companies - they now have broken economies.

Talk about new economy and there’s plenty that’s happening in Brisbane. For example, Amazon is building a thriving hub of knowledge workers in Brisbane and taking advantage of big employers missing from Brisbane. These are all the roles they are actively hiring for.

Brisbane, Australia

- There are many reasons people are moving to Brisbane for and major one is more jobs. Most important indicator of a city’s progress is construction jobs. Seek has 1000 construction job vacancies listed for Brisbane and 1500 for Melbourne. After taking populations into consideration, a Brisbane based job seeker has 50% more chances to get a job in construction in Brisbane than same person in Melbourne. This is a massive difference and a good enough reason for people to move and they are moving in droves.

- Don’t forget the WFH revolution - Seek now has over 7000 WFH jobs listed and they have continued to grow. Which city gets to benefit most from it? South East Queensland is the obvious answer for most Australians.

Jobs in Work from home - SEEK

While I am not saying that Brisbane will overtake Melbourne in overall size of the economy but it will surely leave Melbourne way behind in terms of economic growth and future prospects as a global city and the race has already started.

Last edited: 13th Oct, 2021
    Codie, LP7, Observer and 2 others like this.
  5. Boss

Boss Well-Known Member

Yes unfortunately some people underestimate the impact that WFH will have on the economy and the property market in the coming years.

And in terms of future migration trends: Asians are comparatively tech-savvy. So many may choose to migrate to Australia and WFH in SEQLD instead of enduring the miserable weather in southern Australia.

standtall likes this.
  6. tedjamvor

tedjamvor Well-Known Member

Melbourne anyday. If I wanted to live in a small city, it would not be Brisbane. At that point, you may as well consider Geelong or Newcastle. Too many trade offs for my liking. Best of both cons.

7. djyella

djyella Well-Known Member

No thanks, keep the sardine tins down south.

8. LP7

LP7 Well-Known Member

Brisbane is hardly a small city, especially when considering its basically the centre of a metropolis which will be home to over 5 million people at some point in the 2030s.

9. SydneytoMelbourne

SydneytoMelbourne Well-Known Member

I am from Melbourne, but live in Sydney, and with property prices in those two cities getting crazier and crazier, I can certainly see the attraction to moving from Melbourne (or Sydney) to Brisbane.

That said, the job market is clearly infinitely better in Melbourne (for now), and more varied. Those high performing universities will continue to bring in overseas students as well.

In the future, if WFH does change things dramatically, if Brisbane / Gold Coast get access to future high paying employment opportunities (tech space for instance), then I can see an argument as to why it might start to become more appealing. Huge if though.

I am not as familiar with the geography of Brisbane. Is it more like Melbourne where there is huge capacity to build up and out, or significantly constrained like Sydney where it's hard to build and there will be more constraint on supply?

10. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

Dont be threatened by Brisbane mate.

Both city’s can thrive. Who cares if one is bigger than the other or who’s head offices are where.

For every 3 hard working migrants that will move to Melbourne there’s always going to be 1 cashed up couple looking for the lifestyle by the water and will pay for it.

Brisbane doesn’t have to compete in the same way, it offers a completely different lifestyle and one that has appealed to a lot more Australians since Covid.

I’ve lived in both, and for myself in 30s about to raise a family the safe Brisbane lifestyle wins hands down.

Squirrell and samiam like this.
  11. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Haha..as another poster said on another thread..once Sydney gets on top of covid fears, it will return to selling a single car park in a dark alleyway somewhere for the same price of a 4 bedder on 800sqm in Logan. :D

boganfromlogan likes this.
  12. Squirrell

Squirrell Well-Known Member

If there is one thing we can learn from the holast 20 years, its that govt stimulus is the main driver of growth. The worse the economy the bigger the stimulus. So my money is on melb to outperform brissy on the house price front. Big time.

13. frankjeager

frankjeager Well-Known Member

i hope so, for my own financial reasons anyway lol

14. frankjeager

frankjeager Well-Known Member

to be fair, Sydney hasnt stopped doing this the whole time. Sydney hasnt lost a single step during this last year and a half, theres noting to "get on top" of. Sydney is incredibly strong market at moment

15. Boss

Boss Well-Known Member

Citycat88 likes this.
  16. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Normal part of cycle. I reckon both Melbourne and Sydney will cool significantly. Brisbane and GC medians will probably hit 900k

Codie likes this.
  17. MJS1034

MJS1034 Well-Known Member

Haha 0 chance of this happening. Perth is DSR to reliant on mining.

18. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

You mean the yuppies and hipsters are moving to Redcliffe?;)