Will Brexit go ahead in it's current form?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Lizzie, 20th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Given recent events - since Brexit was negotiated and Boris was determined to "get it done" - I do wonder if there has been a change of heart.

Firstly, to continue will cost the UK enormously financially - which, on top of the financial situation caused by Covid, would almost definitely tipped them over into a prolonged recession (if not depression)

Then we've also had Boris lose a lot of his rooster strutting - nothing like being near death with a pregnant fiance in the wings, and nursed back from the brink by immigrant/foreign worker nurses to adjust ones perspective on life

Also think the UK have had their eyes opened as to where their allies and friends really lie - not Russia and the US, but rather their immediate back door in Europe.

I suspect some form of Brexit will go ahead - but it will be a lot softer, more compromising and more friendly than the initial gungho divorce

Last edited by a moderator: 20th Apr, 2020
  2. turk

turk Well-Known Member

MTR likes this.
  3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Sadly, I think it may actually go the other way. The EU isn't really a thing anymore - there were already tensions between member countries and I think COVID-19 will actually speed up the break up of the EU. This is not a good thing IMO.

Lizzie likes this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Be sad to see it break up - I think the cracks appeared when they overly relaxed the requirements to enter as a member state, and therefore the more powerful and stronger countries were endlessly propping up those who couldn't hold up their end of the bargain

6. turk

turk Well-Known Member

The divide has always existed in the EU.

It was Germany, France,UK in the north and Italy, Spain ,Greece in the south.

Different economies, work cultures, retirement ages, pension payments, tax regimes to start with.

MTR likes this.
  7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Wonder then if we'll end up with a refined version of the EU with the northern countries

8. turk

turk Well-Known Member

That would be going back to the Common Market, sans Italy.

Doubtful, if the EU breaks up it would more likely be trade/migration agreements etc, pretty much what Boris and the UK are looking at.

Lizzie likes this.