Wierd Knocking Sound coming from my Roof/Walls

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Campo246, 24th Aug, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Campo246

Campo246 Active Member

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased my first home. Moved in last week. Its a brand new build that was finished this year. Im paying 150 Per year For Body Corporate Fees. In Melbourne

I have a two story townhouse that shares a wall with a neighbor who has a mirrored apartment.

There is no body corporation like how they are managed in a big block of apartments, There's 4 apartments on the block and I think the owner is managing it himself

Everyday when the suns out during day at random 10/15 minute bursts I have this knocking sound coming from the walls/roof. Its driving me mad. Its the most prevalent between say 10 and 3pm.

20210823_103402 (1)
    20210813_144719

It stops at night time and when the sun sets in the evening

I went up into the man hole and I can hear the noise but I have no idea what it is or what type of tradesman I should call to come in and have a look.

I dont think its an animal or rodent (I dont think) But its really bizarre.

Could it be things moving in the roof due to thermal expansion?

There's no water running at the time so I dont think its water hammer. Does water hammer still happen when there is no water running?

How's the best way to manage this? I dont even know what kind of tradesman to call out to look into this.

I have contacted the builder to advise of the issues via email with the videos attached. Ill give them a follow-up call later on in the week

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Not thermal expansion if I heard correctly - too regular.

Almost sounds like building noise - as in someone hammering??? Are any neighbours renoing?

The Y-man

3. skater

skater Well-Known Member

That's just plain weird. No idea what that could be. My first thought was water hammer from the neighbour, but doesn't sound like it.

4. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Yes.....but too slow. Very rhythmic.

5. Campo246

Campo246 Active Member

Nope, The guy that lives next door on the other side of the shared wall me can hear it as well (He's renting, I purchased). No water running either at the time

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Phantom building noise, check that the builder didn't brick someone into the walls.

Sackie, standtall and bmc like this.
  7. The Y-man

I've edited and upped the sound a bit. It speeds up a bit towards the end?

Was it raining? I get a similar sound with water dripping into my downpipe. Could even be heavy dew.

Could also be the drain of an aircon (water going down a metal drain pipe)

The Y-man

oracle likes this.
  8. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

Airflow moving the sarking?

David_SYD likes this.
  9. Campo246

Campo246 Active Member

It has been raining on and off the last two weeks. The speed is rather random really.

Upstairs is the bathroom/two bedrooms. Split system AC in both rooms.

The shared wall is between the two bedrooms of each unit

10. The Y-man

Where are the downpipes for your gutters located? If they external, pop out and put your ears to them when you get the sound. Odd though you say not at night - I get it 24/7 when it's drizzling - that's why I thought maybe dew or aircon drain.

Is there an apartment above you?

The Y-man

11. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

12. Campo246

Campo246 Active Member

Nothing Above just the roof. 4 Single Units on the block. Down pipes are on the outside of the apartment at the backyard/driveway. Noise is coming from the middle of the roof where the shared wall is

13. Campo246

Campo246 Active Member

Ill just have to live with it for now. the agent gave me a plumbing company to call. They cant send anyone out until lockdown is over in melbourne.

Wall might have to be taken down to see whatever it is causing this noise honestly

14. SuperOlaf

SuperOlaf Well-Known Member

Could be Gypsum area separation panel has come lose inside the common wall and moving with the wind or something .... if that is even possible.

15. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

Is there a solar hot water system on the roof? I recall a similar sound from a previous home, but it wasn't constant. Was thermal expansion of the tank or some components. Just got used to it after a while.

16. Campo246

Campo246 Active Member

No Solar. Its Gas Instantaneous for all 4 Properties

The guy next door might be using the aircon all day I haven't actually asked him. Might do that

17. Campo246

Campo246 Active Member

At times when its been really windy there has been no knocking at all so might not be that

18. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Ghost needs letting out.

1. Open manhole;
    2. Spin around;
    3. Say the magic word.

U shouldn't have to sacrifice a virgin, but if u do a relative might be willing.

Good luck.

spoon likes this.
  19. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

In my current house I get water hammer with the WM. It’s a front loader so a bit of water goes in, knocking sound, spins a couple of times then repeats. Tapping is spaced out more than yours.

At night just after the sun goes down we get tapping noises. We thought it was a bat eating bugs off the windows. We think now it’s expansion noises in the sunroom.

20. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

That sounds like the guy down the hall needs to secure his bed so it doesnt smack into the wall when he is ...nailing.

AC drain dripping ? Onto something wet ? Test by not running ACs or finding drain outlet/s. More likely to drip when humid. I wouldnt put it past some dodgy installer to drop the drain between a wall cavity. It could do some damage. A split can make a litre a hour at times

spoon likes this.

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.