SA Whyalla: the new Moranbah ?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Skilled_Migrant, 7th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

I understand the sentiment but the issue with that is where do they stop...bailing arrium out sets a precedence. They might just let the market forces be as they may.

Cactus likes this.
  2. Nemo30

Nemo30 Well-Known Member

i lived in Whyalla for a few years as a kid...population was about 30k then, think its about 21k now.
    I read that it was originally built for a population of 50k, however it never got there.

3. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

True, probably closer to Elizabeth Holden closures and the spruiky mega thread.

4. Skilled_Migrant

Skilled_Migrant Well-Known Member

5. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

One of the pollies - scott morrison? Came out and said they will not promote Australian steel im government jobs as it would be fleecing taxpayers
    What about the fleecing of taxpayers that may occur when 1500 whyalla families start lining up for centrelink.

Do the maths on that, it might make you rethink your stance on market forces.

If we let international market forces dictate everything we will be left with nothing

Skilled_Migrant likes this.
  6. Skilled_Migrant

Agree. The government has been screwed over by the FTA. They have sacrificed local markets (steel in this instance) for nothing in return.
    Business must front-foot China's new e-commerce laws
    This is just the commodities part of the FTA. Wait till labour market is loosened.

7. Skilled_Migrant

8. Joshwaaaa

Joshwaaaa Well-Known Member

Yup just ignore the fact that once the money goes overseas its gone. Spend a little extra here and they get a fair old percentage of it straight back via taxes, payroll etc.

9. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Why does that have to be the case? why take such a negativ approaxh and assume we arenf capable of survivinf without the government being protectionists?

International market forces dictate the prices of dairy products, wheat etc and we're pretty successful at that although could be better like the kiwis.

we need to become smarter and more innovative as a country overall instead of crying in the corner for the government to bail us out and save us from the big bad world. that would lead to us being even more inefficient, lazy and dumb because we wouldn't have to compete.

in the EU a lot of the subsidies are being cut back but farmers and producers who got so used to not having to be efficient because of the subsidies are now finding they're too crap to compete.

the govt both state and federal, businesses, entrepreneurs, workers etc as a whole could be doing much more to advance australia instead of waiting for the inevitable as some do or saying it's all too hard.

Plutus likes this.
  10. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

It's a tough balance. I know that personally I always try to support local companies when I can. I also would like to see the govt do so but there has to be a certain point where it just can't be justified.

eg, if a project is going to cost $500m less with an imported component vs doing it all locally that's $500m that the government could put to use elsewhere. it's a tough a balancing act

Joshwaaaa likes this.
  11. Carrytrader

Carrytrader Active Member

The govt stood by and let the jobs go for the simple reason that cost of supporting those jobs out weigh the benefits.

Supporting families on centrelink cost millions, supporting a steel industry will cost billions. Look no further than all the subsidy we gave to the car manufacturers, they kept going only because of government support. Once the money stop, they shut down.

Either you support them forever or bite the bullet and rip off the bandage.

And those imported steel, they are most likely made from Australian iron ore.

12. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

yeah i would agree- cost of supporting a company thats fighting a losing battle is not worth it to them. The entire industry is in decline. Not just the company...and they are not too big to fail- BHP etc would likely be but not them...at least not according to the govt.

13. Jamie_

Jamie_ Well-Known Member

14. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I will tell you why, because it is like playing poker against known cheats, even our so called buddies do this.

Politicians are not selling off what they will earn are they ?

15. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

It doesn't really work though, the company just siphons off the funds the government gives them. And still aren't competitive.
    Like the foreign owned car companies.
    Just delaying the inevitable.

16. Skilled_Migrant

1. So a state sponsored, loss making dumping with rigged foreign exchange is the answer Charts that show why China really is to blame for the steel crisis.
    2. The companies can be labelled not competitive only when the competition is fair. Even if we run with the argument that Australian steel making is not up to scratch, how is every country (Germany, Italy, UK, France, Poland, Belgium, Luxemburg, US) trading with China having the same problem. Thousands protest Chinese steel dumping, urge EU to act
    3. The loss making Chinese steel mills are propped up by the state banks to stave off social unrest in China. The dumping of cheap steel is effectively out sourcing the social cost to developed economies.Why are the Chinese jobs more important than 3.5 million jobs at stake in EU ? The answer to over capacity in China is...re opening the mills. Steel plants reopen in China as mills in Australia, Britain face axe.
    4. The countries without excessive reliance on Chinese exports are fighting back:
    5. The government is not just about the economy and budgets. Beyond a certain point social and strategic interests take precedence over the economic interests.

17. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Our government/s just keep doing the same old dance.

In some cases, I would be happy if they tried something new, I never agreed with selling off assets the people owned back to largely the people, they could try something new, like buying out, but having a private board/company run the show, kind of like our national carrier.

We need to do more than be a nation of services, if for no other reason that national security.

18. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Not to me.
    Sometimes there is no answer.

19. Skilled_Migrant

20. Skilled_Migrant