QLD Why so many sales on the same street?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by magyar, 9th Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. magyar

magyar Well-Known Member

Been looking at some properties and noticed multiple sales within 12 months on the same street. It's a nice quite street which backs onto bushland with a small creek a few hundred metres behind.

These houses are considerably cheaper then anywhere else in the suburb even in streets that are not as south after. About 10% difference in prices.

I had a look at the crime map and it's no higher then usual and looked at all the flooding maps ok which all look good.

The only thing I could think of is maybe in summer the place is crawling with mosquitoes, but just in that street alone 3 houses have listed in the matter of months all a few doors up from each other. All previous sales were in winter and the current listings are now all in winter, I'm thinking maybe the cheap prices to sell quickly before summer and the mosquitos come out to play.

Or am I over thinking it? Any other possibilities why? Any other street and these houses would be $450k+ while here they are all around $390k+.

2. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

neighbours moving to retirement village together? :p
    with plenty of supply, you got upper hand to negotiate? all houses with same agent??

3. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

I'm not sure we can really make comment without knowing where the street is? It could be a million things. One of the weirder ones I found recently; There's a street in Logan Reserve with houses that are at least $50,000 under-market but still wont sell, turns out there's defunct power line easement running through the backyard that the authorities refuse to remove, making it almost impossible to get finance.

If it's in the South East Queensland area and you'd prefer not to post it publicly, you're welcome to message me and I'll take a look.

Archaon, adam duckworth and KayTea like this.
  4. BKRinvesting

BKRinvesting Well-Known Member

"Can you believe neighbour X got this when they sold.."
    "Wow, we can move to <insert state here> and have cash to spare"
    Repeat...?

Antoni0 likes this.
  5. magyar

magyar Well-Known Member

Different agents.

The street is beacon drive in cornubia.

6. Tom Rivera

The very edge of some of the blocks is affected by the Flood Hazard Trigger Overlay and most of them are affected by the Wetlands Buffer Trigger Overlay.

Attached Files:

qak, magyar and Antoni0 like this.
  7. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

Have a look at the reported crime rate and it's next to the Albert river.

8. magyar

magyar Well-Known Member

Thanks for that appreciate it!
    I did see that but it's the very bottom of the blocks and no where near the house, called the insurance companies and no issues there.

What does the wetlands buffer trigger mean? I can only see the positive in that in regards to not having any development near by. Or am I missing something.

9. magyar

magyar Well-Known Member

I did. Nothing out of the ordinary in regards to crime rates. I believe it's the Logan river not Albert.

10. Antoni0

Yes Logan river sorry.
    There was an assault recorded in that very street on the 30th of July, may have something to do with. ;)
    maps.JPG

11. magyar

magyar Well-Known Member

Could be. On the map it looks like it's right near the property that is for sale.

Will do some more dd. Should ask some of the neighbours, I still have a sneaking suspicion that mosquitoes are rampant in the area being so close to Logan river. I know when I fish the logan in summer near there I get mauled by them .

Antoni0 likes this.
  12. Tom Rivera

@magyar the wetlands buffer trigger protects the land and vegetation from development without further consultation.

Even in a space that isn't being cut/filled and has no existing vegetation, an overlay advice certificate is required to go ahead with basic development (e.g. build shed, pool, etc.) that would otherwise be self assessable.

If there is vegetation to be removed, cut/fill and other more substantial development, a full environmental impact assessment needs to be provided. It's not cheap.

13. Antoni0

Have a look on google and see all the pools and sheds that are built on the outer properties. Not sure if it's a big problem, it might be slightly more costly and difficult.

14. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

go and spend some time there, at different times of the day and night, could be neighbours who, whilst not criminal, are problematic. I haven't bought many houses but after being burned once I always doorknock the neighbours now.

robboat and magyar like this.
  15. magyar

magyar Well-Known Member

Went to the open home today. Rough as guts. Tiny house useless block. Still counted at least 50+ people there. Wouldn't suprise me if some gave offers.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  16. Antoni0

Sorry to hear but better luck next time.

17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Moranbah, Gladstone? just joking

18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

that is a huge number at a home open, very positive

19. radioactive

radioactive Well-Known Member

@Tom Rivera By any chance do you remember the name of the street?
    Thanks

20. QldKoolies

QldKoolies Well-Known Member

A guy with your name shouldn’t go anywhere near those

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.