Why Property is Better Than Shares

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Terry_w, 17th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

I think having cold hard cash is the perfect investment. I'm getting a new fridge.

upload_2017-6-6_12-28-20.png

skater, Gladys, truong and 8 others like this.
  2. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

So why are investors on PC jumping into these products?

My guess is Newbies, no experience ? No idea

healthy discussion is good, we are here to learn

I still want to know why I dont hear about investors retiring using this strategy?

Last edited: 6th Jun, 2017
  4. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Yes I'm a newbie hoping to retire on dividends. I'd also love to hear from those who have retired using these strategies / products. Do they exist, I hope so? Please do tell. After reading @Piston_Broke's comments I need reassurance to be confident that it's possible:(.

5. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    It must be some kind of elaborate scam!
    Or perhaps they don't come and comment on property forums.
    Either way, better be careful I say and avoid the whole thing like the plague

6. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    Looks like you'll be waiting for a while mate :/

Nodrog likes this.
  7. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

Sorry newbie... those people are off enjoying their ongoing dividends... nothing more here, time to move on...:cool:

truong and Nodrog like this.
  8. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

truong, Sackie and Redwing like this.
  9. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly Keith ended up having to go back to work a bit after that.
    Though he should be sitting pretty now if he held on to the assets.
    He just stopped accumulating a bit too early.

Ain't we all...

10. Ideacrash

Ideacrash Well-Known Member

Interesting conversation all over. I feel its good to have a mix of assets . If one is in the below situation what would you recommend:
    1) Bought a PPOR .Still owes around 600K to bank.
    2) Has an offset account facility against the loan.

Should he dump all the surplus amount onto offset and invest the surplus in shares once the offset balance matches the loan or start investing in shares ( LIC/ETF ) on a monthly basis ( like 1000$ permonth ) .

11. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

Hi @truong ,

Thanks for spreadsheet, very handy. I have also developed a similar one using my actual marginal tax rate and found out that the conclusion is quite different to yours. Below is my assumptions:

1. Scenario 1:
    - Initial investment: $125,000 in cash
    Property
    - Property value: $500,000
    - LVR: 80%
    - IR: 6%
    - CG: 5%
    - Net rent: 3.5%. Rent increases is based on CPI = 3%
    - Depreciation: $2,000/year average
    - Share value: $125,000
    - CG: 5%
    - Dividend: 4.2%
    - Fully frank

2. Scenario 2:
    - Initial investment: $125,000 from equity of other properties
    The rest are the same as Scenario 1.

I then compared the difference between equity in property and share (of course excl. selling cost) at 5, 10, 15 and 20 year. The results indicate with Scenario 1, property win easily and the gap keeps increasing rapidly. With Scenario 2, the gap is even much bigger.

So the conclusion is (at least for my situation with the above assumptions), property is better to build up equity and create wealth. However, if you hit the borrowing capacity limit or near retirement or have low risk appetite or do not want to have headache with repairs, vacancy, etc., or do not want to worry about interest rate rise, shares are a good choice. And imo, a good combination of properties and shares (adjusted based on individual circumstances and objectives) are the answer.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 12th Jan, 2018
    Jack Chen and truong like this.
  12. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

It's a good post that one ,and good to look at while going forward into all the different trends that we face now..

The line up in investors is pure gold from handy andy and bill l dazz so many who no longer post and I can understand why??,it's a post that anyone starting out should read several times ..

oracle likes this.
  13. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

Interesting analysis, thanks. There are a few costs not included - council, water, maintenance, strata, mgt fees, insurance, which are significant over the longer 5,10 - 20 yr periods you're talking about.
    As you say, many would agree that a combination of IP and shares would be good in accumulation phase, moving to a more passive shares heavier portfolio towards retirement would be the way to go.

Jack Chen likes this.
  14. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Keithj is a deep value investor of property and shares. When those times arrive again there’s a possibility he might reappear. We’ll have to wait and see. At least in the case of Shares it’s likely when I’ll also be more aggressively buying shares.

Last edited: 12th Jan, 2018
  15. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

Those costs have been included to get a net rent of 3.5%. Gross rent should be 4.5-5% although it is not easy to find that yield level in Syd or Mel if buy now. I have tried with a net rent of 3%, CG of 4% and property still win easily.

16. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

I don’t understand why people bother arguing about this when every sensible investor knows that shares are the only decent asset class worth owning:D.

AB995080-A43B-4E57-9683-A5845CDDC3D7.jpeg

Jaik2012, Terry_w and SatayKing like this.
  17. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

He he. Careful, you could upset someone.

As long as people are happy with what they are doing, it's legal, and they're not stressed over it, I don';t consider it matters whether they invest via property or shares.

For me it's shares (LIC's) only. A pleasant surprise when I looked at my last two tax returns though out of curiosity. I'll take a 10.9% increase in income (before franking.) Really had to work hard for it too. However, no guarantee that increase will occur this year although on current numbers an increase of some nature will happen.

L3ha7 and Nodrog like this.
  18. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Yeah I bet. Working about as hard as this bloke who also appears to enjoy a G&T:D:
    BEBD9E1F-3E5C-401A-878A-EF98A8D96E85.jpeg

19. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

How TF did you get my pic?

Nodrog likes this.
  20. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

It can also be a form of superstitious thinking,pre GFC Keith and several other like myself would be in the chat room on the old site each day..Then through the very low's of the GFC when CBA went into the mid 20 dollar mark and I don't think anyone I was talking too sold-their survival instincts kicked in and at that price most were more inclined to take take take..Then when the 2011 Brisbane floods hit I think he may have hit the same wall as me when the insurance side went from champagne to s### ..
    That mindset has stayed with me through boom times bust times ,contributing to a simple desire to hold on to investment,s be they stand-alone bank shares and other things when most otherwise wouldn't have..

No one can teach you that it has to learnt the hard way,and by the way we are well overdue if you study others acquisition habits and what some invest in for another GFC and the inner squirrel within me tells me it's not that far off..

MTR, Snowball, truong and 2 others like this.

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF