Closed Why promote doom and gloom?

Discussion in 'PropertyChat Community & Website' started by Mick, 6th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mick

Mick Well-Known Member

Every time I open up Property Chat I am greeted by an advertisement that is headed "Australian Recession 2016 - Why it's coming and what to do". For a forum dedicated to the positive promotion of the Australian property market and economy I think it is irresponsible to be running advertising that is promoting fear and negativity.

2. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

You do realise that the mods have virtually no control over the ads, yeah?
    Its basically a script that is linked to an advertising company who then displays the same ads on many many other websites..
    The mods are not intentionally showing that ad. You're here for a reason - you then must be surely smart enough to make up your own mind about whether the ads are true or not?

2FAST4U and Colin Rice like this.
  3. Mick

Mick Well-Known Member

No, I had no idea. I'm just a silly old fart. I not really up with how internet advertising works. I thought it must have worked like a newspaper where advertisers buy the space and the website could choose whether or not to accept an advertisement.

Heinz57 likes this.
  4. Magoo

Magoo Well-Known Member

Fear sells to the impressionable.

It plays a purpose.

Imagine if everybody had resolve......There would be no money to be made. ;)

5. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

It's both.

I prefer to show adverts which are on-topic and from well known companies - but I use Adsense as a fallback for when I don't have a better ad to display and I don't have direct control over the ads that get displayed by Adsense.

There was a thread about inappropriate adverts - read my comments and suggestions here: Appropriate advertising

In summary, if you can - right mouse click on the advert - (don't left click it!) and copy the url for the advert (copy link address or similar, depending on your browser) ... then email or PM that URL to me with an explanation.

Even better, also include a screenshot of the advert so I can see it for myself (don't worry if you don't know how to do this). Don't forget that these adverts are generally personalised - so you will see a different set of ads to everyone else.

I can block specific adverts which are inappropriate.

Mick likes this.
  6. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

They better hurry up, only two and half months to go or they will have to find a new disaster to peddle.

JacM, Agent30yrs. and Mick like this.
  7. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

You can also upgrade to premium membership which hides all adverts and helps keep the site running (this is my full time job now - gotta feed the kids)!

Plans & Pricing

Colin Rice likes this.
  8. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I think I have seen that advertisement. I have no idea what it is for because I have trained myself to block out ads. Without knowing what product the advertisement relates to, I can't comment on whether it is irresponsible or not. It seems very clear the economy is in decline. I don't think this is irresponsible to discuss. We make money in a boom, how do we make money in a downturn? This has been discussed before and I made a decent amount of money because of the discussion.

Colin Rice likes this.
  9. petewargent

petewargent Buyer's Agent

...like those ads 'Oz recession inevitable in 2016' - just before GDP growth accelerated to +3.3pc

craigc and radson like this.
  10. Perthguy

It looks like we are not going to get our 2016 recession or our 50% house price crash. Although some areas of Perth are heading in the direction of 50% price drops ;)

Mick and petewargent like this.
  11. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

IIRC the ads are based on your activity.

For example if you go to Ebay and search LED TV and then go look at JB, Good Guys etc and then come to PC there is a high chance you will get a TV advert.

I find gumtree usually comes up if I went and searched for something on there.

Like @Perthguy I don't actually see the ads, on rare occasions do I see them but I have spent less than 2 seconds and didn't actually read it.

Even as I typing the message I actually had to look to see the ad which was some sort of LinkedIn one.

12. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I purchased 3 recessions last week, got a great deal

JacM, petewargent, marty998 and 2 others like this.
  13. Perthguy

Ha yeah. For me too. I wouldn't have even registered it if you hadn't mentioned it.

Buy 2 get 1 free? That's what we were promised with houses after the housing crash. I saved up but I'm still waiting for the sale. ;)

bob shovel likes this.
  14. Guest

Guest Guest

So you think the forum should be dedicated to pumping prices and talking up the economy, rather than considering the risks of a price or economic downturn?

15. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I see that recession one a lot too if I'm not logged in. I agree with OP sentiments. I'm all for realism and a balanced approach and have little respect for hype in either direction.
    Another recession we never had.
    However, I also respect Simon's need for income, especially given the pathetically small number of premium members on the forum. Who's a tight-arts?

bob shovel and House like this.
  16. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

I have seen the ad too. I clicked just out of interest - they are selling 'recession proof' stocks along with left handed screwdrivers (ok I made the last part up).

17. bob shovel

I'm waiting to get a return on my "hype area" purchases :p then I'll need to talk to my broker for a loan;) and get a job

WattleIdo likes this.
  18. bob shovel

I would assume there is more income earnt from the ads if someone clicks? So if the ads are specific to the user's interests isn't there more likely a click on the ad?
    I don't really know how Internet works:D but one day when I'm rich I'd like to buy one

19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

BB
    A very good point.

However, Its a property forum, you wont get doom and gloom here, it is a commercial forum and people are trying to sell their services/product.

In saying this I would think the savvy investors would be monitoring the markets they play in.

MTR:)

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
  20. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Doom and gloom is fine. It's not always going to be sunshine and lollipops.

MTR likes this.

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.