Why McMansions

Discussion in 'Development' started by MTR, 2nd Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I have friends who have a home in Bella Vista Waters; their previous home was in Bella Vista. That was a beautiful house. The new one, they put up pictures of the build on facebook and to me it looked like a block of units!
    Anyway, they have 2 daughters (and they are both stunning and talented, would not be out of place as models), both grown up, they don't need such big homes. I asked them about it and they say its their investment.

They are both still working (have their own business and employ others) and my friend said as the PPoR is not taxed (no CGT) when they sell, they might as well go big and luxurious, put the money here because it will be worth a lot more in the future. She said they fixed up all the things that werent quite right from when they built the previous house. They arent far from the new rail. They even installed a lift in the property - forward thinking for when they are less mobile!

Anyway, I know that they are well off financially and have enough other investments... they like the area... so why not...

2. Tillie

Tillie Well-Known Member

Yesterday when we were house hunting one of the houses had 3 bedroom plus study, 2 bathrooms and combined living / dining room and kitchen / family rooms. Not sure why but my first impression was that the house is small and where is a separate rumpus room? Also the rooms were not particularly large.

My reaction surprised me. There is only 2 of us plus dogs and cats, so we should not need that much space around us. Why did I think that the house is too small? Especially when moving to the acreage and having land around us should be more important to us than the size of the house.

Actually my husband reacted the same way and at the same time we both complain that our current house is too big for us, even if it is the smallest house in the street, 5 bedrooms plus study and 3 separate living areas on an acre block. More soul searching to do...

3. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Will be interesting to how much demand there is for mcmansions in another 10 yrs

4. T.C.

T.C. Well-Known Member

Some people like living in inner city in a tiny house. Some like the suburbs living in a bigger house. If you have 3 kids, a 5 bedroom house means each kid can have their own room plus one spare for guests. I don't see why big houses will ever become unpopular? While I've never even lived in a town, I'd rather live in a big house in the burbs than a small inner city dog box any day if I had to.

See ya's.

5. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Some of have designed our homes for multi generational living something that may be in greater demand as time goes on.

6. sash

sash Well-Known Member

The traditional suburban house is becoming less common as there are more 1 and 2 person households. Though there is still traditional families around just not as much

7. BLAIR_

BLAIR_ Member

Nathan put some concept pictures of his house up on Facebook today. looks like a mcmansion thats for sure, and you can see there is plenty of space for cars :)

1510724_10153478179674173_2410519938636369201_n.jpg 11268033_10153478179704173_2721695814835819762_n.jpg 11695921_10153478179684173_664455585569135699_n.jpg

8. Jamie_

Jamie_ Well-Known Member

@Westminster Did you send BLAIR_ the plans for your PPOR :p photos above.

9. BLAIR_

BLAIR_ Member

haha no but i seen this on nathans Facebook page today and remember @Westminster was interested to see what his plans looked like

10. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

What a hideous house

OC1 and Perp like this.
  11. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

I wasn't going to be quite so tactless, but I did think: "pity nothing in the budget for any architect fees!" ;)

12. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

I seen this on his fb too. Do you know the location.

13. BLAIR_

BLAIR_ Member

@DaveM i think it would look better with a different color scheme. But yeh i can see where you are coming from, the garage is pretty cool though

14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Who cares about Nathan's house, not what the topic is about.

MTR:)

15. OC1

OC1 Well-Known Member

or a few hundred bucks on some decent renders :p

16. Tillie

Tillie Well-Known Member

These a just sketches. It is difficult to say how the house will really look like and what colours will be used when ready. Or maybe you can, but I am not so talented ;) Also it's completely depends about surroundings. There are so many floor to ceiling windows in the house, that I assume the house is built to take advantage of views of some sort.

17. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Haha! I'm a huge fan of deep verandahs (this being Australia) so my PPOR2BE has a modern sort of homestead look. I think it was @BLAIR_ who showed me Strong Build Homes and I got a lot of inspiration from their houses.

18. cashnow

cashnow Active Member

19. Emoi

Emoi Well-Known Member

20. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

I think you've hit the nail on the head for me which I haven't been able to articulate. I wouldn't call myself a materialistic person but having a nice PPOR is something that is important to me.

I too am a massive introvert and if I'm not home (or the office) then I'm out bush somewhere or on the water and so when I am home, my home is my sanctuary.

My first house I never really liked and never felt at home. It was just cheap and got our feet in the property door. I never hung pictures on the walls and never property decorated. It was just a place I was existing in and not living.

Then moving north I wanted a 'home' and not just a house. Something I would enjoy being in an happy to call my own. My husband and I are DINK's and it really is too big for the both of us (we still have empty cupboards around the place) but I finally feel at home.

We do have a goal of one more upgrade of PPOR but that is a few years off. It's more upgrade of location and not property. We don't do it for the, uh, w*nk factor but purely for us. If I'm spending a lot of time somewhere I want to be comfortable.

And right now, I'm sitting on my lounge and if I look up I look out the floor to ceiling windows over my back deck which is suspended over what is the start of acres and acres of mangroves and river with just a hint of the sun setting. My happy place :)

Westminster, OC1, hobo and 1 other person like this.