Why Labor Lost and Lost Touch

Discussion in 'Politics' started by MTR, 21st May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

2. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

I think in the last few days they got smashed by the Clive Palmer adds , implying the Chinese were going to possibly invade us , big tax increases and Shifty increasing Taxes on everyone with lots of job losses .
    They just played on peoples fears and really went after the less educated voters, by the type of aussie drawl that they used.
    Probably the best $50-80 million he has spent for his interests in Australia.

3. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

@marmot

I think Every one is looking how this happend.

Its simple people didnt want Labour or Bill Shorten.
    The man is a lair who is happy to sacrifice his own workers while a union boss.
    Or the labor party.

We dont need an explanation in this case the better party and PM won. The media still confused how they got it wrong. Its because they cant overcome their own bias.

How about Greens...

Some would consider this treason.
    People have lost lives for less
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-05/sam-dastyari-chinese-donations-furore-explained/7816588

Serveman and Citycat88 like this.
  4. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

They’re not less educated voters mate. They obviously didn’t like and align with the labor party’s policy’s. Australia has spoken.

Last edited by a moderator: 21st May, 2019
    Scaphella, Toon, Sackie and 5 others like this.
  5. Illusivedreams

6. Illusivedreams

I noticed a friend a Greens voter on Facebook rant. She called Liberal voters, Homophobic uneducated bigots.

Nice one.....

He husband is a Liberal voter mind you.. I dont know if has seen the comments yet.
    Lover her acceptance.

Last edited by a moderator: 21st May, 2019
    Barny likes this.
  7. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Clive ran a really good advertising campaign, especially for people that could not be bothered to actually check the facts behind many of the statements.
    You just need to repeat the same thing over and over again, quite anti Chinese with the possibility that they will invade us, and a few other points.
    60 minutes even ran a story on it .
    "Deepwater ports" in NW Australia that can just handle shallow draught barges,
    airstrips built for FI/FO workers and airstrips that Chinese airlines use to train their pilots.
    Just add the voice of a former Aussie defence force boss and you have the "possible" invasion plans .
    Say the same thing over and over again and you only need a couple of % of people to believe it.

8. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I think most people either laughed at those adverts or they completely switched off/ignored them.

The only impact Clive had on me is now yellow is the colour I dislike the most :D.

Apparently there are therapy classes being run everywhere for people like me. They are free as there is a new Medicare item which covers the cost of treatment :eek:.

Sackie, Angel, Perthguy and 1 other person like this.
  9. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

Do you wanna know why Labor lost?

Two words. Class warfare.

The overwhelming message from Labor was - if you wanna work hard and save for your future, we’ll attack you. If you save your money to fund your own retirement, we’ll attack you. If you want to invest in companies that employ Aussies, or help provide housing for Aussie families via the rental market, we’ll attack you.

If you wanna get ahead, we’ll try and take as much from you as we can possibly get away with.

And for what tangible benefit? A few extra bucks for the ABC? Donations to the UN? Increased refugee intake?

Middle Australia stopped and thought - well this is BS. I’m not ‘privileged’ if I want to provide for my family and secure my future. I work hard for what I have. Owning investments - or aspiring to - doesn’t make me the ‘top end of town’.

Labor’s campaign was divisive, negative, mean spirited and a direct attack on Australian values. It is a direct attack on the idea that anyone can make something of themselves if they work hard. Because under Labor, if you try to, you’re just gonna get punished.

Why would anyone vote for that?

Serveman, craigc, Todd and 29 others like this.
  10. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

Lots of reasons ... Real disconnect with people and I honestly think a lot of voters are child like in their analysis of policy.

The rise of the right is going to do some real damage to our society imo.

11. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I think this has been part of the problem with the Liberal party for quite some time now. Tony Abbot was the face of this faction, he's out (of sight at least). I think the face of the Liberal party will be a lot more palatable moving forward.

Last edited: 21st May, 2019
    Nodrog, kierank and MikeyBallarat like this.
  12. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Watching channel 9 on Saturday, the commentators from both sides had a brief discussion about Palmer United and their advertising campaign. They drew a line between what PU was saying, to the voters, to Jackie Lambie. They concluded that if she gets her senate seat, she'll be the primary beneficiary of Palmer's advertising money.

Both sides had a good chuckle about that.

13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes, Labor got confused.... referring to high end....but we are just average hard working Aussies trying to fund our retirement not billionaires

They deserve to lose

14. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

I very much doubt you or many on this site are average (or better yet median) in comparison to Australian population in terms of assets or income (for their age or stage of life). I know I'm above both in salary and assets, (Top 20%ish) which by definition does not make me average ...people feel they are average but they actually aren't. Perhaps you're a millionaire, congratulations but that's far from average.

15. Waterboy

Waterboy Well-Known Member

"Bill Shorten is a drab speaker with the personality of a wet rag."

16. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

Dutton, Barnaby, Abetz, morrison.I could go on.

17. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Labor basically started attacking Australians on all sides of the political fence. Its so obvious why they lost. If you attack most Australians then the minority wont be able to vote you in. They got their maths wrong.

I heard caller after labor caller on radio saying they voted labor all their life and were definetly not the 'top end of town' raising a family on a modest income. And labor polices now would have significantly affected them hence they simple couldn't afford to vote labor.

Bill was completely out of touch with the Australian people and what they wanted.

Last edited: 21st May, 2019
    Toon, Angel, Player and 5 others like this.
  18. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

Where are these values listed, where are they legislated? When you say 'Australian values' you actually mean your values. The only thing a citizen of this country need do is follow the laws of this country - values are not laws.

19. Intrigued_again

Intrigued_again Well-Known Member

It seemed to be far more effective than "mediscare",

20. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Totally agree - the amount of people who made their decision based on a few meme's left me flabbergast ... it's not hard to actually google the facts ... but it was to much trouble. And they would argue the meme, even when presented with the facts! :eek:

We have truly entered the age of the gnat attention span

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.