VIC Why is East/ South East Melbourne more expensive than West/ South West?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Alex123711, 14th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Squirrell

Squirrell Well-Known Member

Probably explains how the east got a head start, and then you get a positive feedback loop of infra, schools, well built houses, 100 plus year old trees etc.

Alex123711 likes this.
  2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

We also forget the big river dividing the city - with the cbd on the east side of it.... the westgate bridge is a recent installment (with a long tragic history) and it wasn't easy commuting to the west before that.

Werribee didn't have electric trains until the 80's (I think?)

The Y-man

3. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

No Problem, In a non La Nina year have a look at the west vs outer east/south east in height of summer. The west is very dry (sometimes dysty) and in general has retained less natural beauty in the way it has been developed

However if i was going to invest in Melbourne now i would definately look at western suburbs as they currently look undervalued

jbv and Mulianto like this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

thing is these suburbs you mention are already rising.

BTW Williamstown is expensive. Just saying

Bunbury likes this.
  5. Alex123711

Alex123711 Well-Known Member

I can't imagine there is that much difference in temperature/ weather between them?

6. Mulianto

Mulianto ~~

Williamstown has always been the same. We go there for gelato, crepes, sunrise with city view, feed the seagulls with chips. But do people really wanting to live there? It hasn’t been gentrified in the last 20 years.

7. The Y-man

8. The Y-man

You should have seen it in the 80's!!

The Y-man

9. Mulianto

Mulianto ~~

Only some houses and warehouses? Tell me lol

10. The Y-man

Nando Lee, Optimus and Mulianto like this.
  11. The Y-man

Heavy industry - very blue collar. My friend's dad was a refinery worker (as many around there), but there's also the shipyards, the railyards - it was a very important part of Melbourne's industrial development.

2 of the 3 major car manufacturers were in the vicinity - Toyota and Holden. Ford went north to Broady and Engine plant in Geelong.

The Y-man

Mulianto likes this.
  12. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Holden was Port Melbourne, Toyota Port Melbourne and Altona so not all across the bridge.

Also Eastern suburbs traditionally more green, tree-lined, leafy suburbs so more desirable as others have mentioned.

Of course this doesn’t mean money can’t be made in many different markets!

MTR likes this.
  13. Jim G

Jim G Well-Known Member

In my humble opinion there are two factors that make East and South East more sought after than West or North. These are factors that don’t change with time or investments. It takes centuries to change such things.
    (1) Green Cover - Eastern and South Easterm suburbs have big trees on both sides of residential streets. It takes 60-100 years for trees to go to such heights and such spread. This brings more rain to the east and south east. As a result it keeps getting greener. There are atleast 30 golf courses just in south east and east within metropolitan Melbourne. With trees it has become easier to create more parks, nature walk trails, biking trails etc. Quality of living improves resulting in a more healthier life over years.

(2) Holistic education system and societal learning - Look at top 10 public primary and secondary schools in Victoria. All of them are in South East and East. These schools are known for their holistic education - not just academics, which is a typical Asian education pattern. Holistic education makes people more inclusive and respectful in a multi-cultural society. In East and South East you will notice more diverse demographics in every post code. Not a skewed South Asian demographic West where kids grow up seeing people of primarily one demographic origin. Every parent (subject to affordability) would want their child to grow in a multicultural suburb to be able to grow up accepting people from different origins. East and South East offers this by default whereas in West and South West money can’t buy you this.

14. bamp

bamp Well-Known Member

Are you planning on moving your cattle to graze in Footscray anytime soon? :p

15. Jim G

Jim G Well-Known Member

jbv likes this.
  16. ThisIsLiving

ThisIsLiving Well-Known Member

A lot of it is perception. There are some really nice areas in the north west and some really crappy areas in the east. You can also be closer to the CBD in the north west for cheaper than the east. As for public schools, the schools in the east are traditionally more highly regarded and always will be - even if it is not the case all the time.

17. ThisIsLiving

ThisIsLiving Well-Known Member

north west suburbs
    Google Maps

18. Jim G

Jim G Well-Known Member

North West and West comes with another baggage - Police keep clamps on youth offenders as part of Operation Alliance

19. bamp

bamp Well-Known Member

ThisIsLiving and Robbo80 like this.
  20. Robbo80

Robbo80 Well-Known Member

I can confirm the west also has parks, trees and golf courses like oakleigh south.

Also plenty of Asian kids and high performing schools - Braybrook high vastly outperformed oakleigh south high last year.

Also plenty of warehouses like oakleigh south too.

Based on my analysis of what you look for in a suburb. The west looks to be a good fit for you and at a fraction of the price! :)

jbv and ThisIsLiving like this.