Why investors with large portfolios aren't as rich as you think they are

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Zoolander, 7th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Zoolander

Zoolander Well-Known Member

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

In summary..... Deep pockets, short arms syndrome

3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Agree its all about LVR and how much equity has been created against the percentage of debt and im what time frame.

Having said that, personally I view a person with say a 6mil portfolio with an LVR of 90% much 'richer' than a person with zero assets and zero debt.

flyhere, MWI, Gypsyblood and 2 others like this.
  4. DowntownBlock

DowntownBlock Well-Known Member

More bloody 'investor bashing' in mainstream media!

private_number likes this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Are you knocking my build?

[​IMG]

6. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Are you also a grubby developer?

Scott No Mates likes this.
  7. BKRinvesting

BKRinvesting Well-Known Member

As a Gen Y who has used equity and renovations to generate a starter portfolio, yes, I can comfortably answer those questions to within 99% accuracy,

I mean, It's just an article on LVR? Debt is not a new phenomenon, not sure why it's news worthy...

Ben_j likes this.
  8. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Most things in the headlines aren't newsworthy, all they are there for is to distract the populace after all.

BKRinvesting, House and Sackie like this.
  9. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I hope Bill Shorten and the ALP read the article - it gives good reasons why our politicians should not touch negative gearing and why they should get rid of CGT :).

10. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

This is newsworthy only to non investors. These articles are written for widest appeal, even if the opinions they appeal to are wrong.

private_number likes this.
  11. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Well obviously that would be the case but it's a discussion worth having imo because it's certainly possible to get caught up in the whirlwind of buying more and as many as possible but sometimes the numbers support taking.a different approach. Also worth people who are often envious of someone with say 4 properties learning that actually they aren't rolling in cash

Gypsyblood likes this.
  12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Agree. I actually think a lot of people who have 3,4,5 properties probably have a very high LVR, though to many people on the street all they hear is "5 million dollars worth of real estate" and think your a multi millionaire.

MWI and kierank like this.
  13. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

my 2c

anyone or anyone referring to someone with say $5m in a portfolio with $500k equity as a property millionaire is either deluded or wants to stroke their ego or wants to sell a story

Id rather $1m in equity rather than $10million property porfolio with zero equity

14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Or they just don't understand. Most laypeople on the street don't have much financial intelligence when it comes to these topics.

For me, if I believed that 10mil portfolio was indeed quality assets in quality areas, I would rather the 10mil portfolio with zero equity than the 1 mil equity with no portfolio. That would meet my own risk profile.

flyhere, adam duckworth, MWI and 2 others like this.
  15. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I'd take the low equity but large portfolio. Compounding growth will do a lot more in the long run.

There is a simple solution though. I simply don't care to tell anyone what I own and what I owe. Happy to share my own investing experiences, but the specifics are nobodies business but my own.

16. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

very true, however personally, I think many/most people underestimate expenses, maintenance, vacancy etc. if you had $500k cash as buffer then it would be fine

17. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

There were a lot of mining town investors/speculators with this approach....they are no longer investors.
    Leverage is a double edged sword when things don't go to plan.

18. Plutus

Plutus Well-Known Member

I love how the same company that is notorious for pushing BS articles that just lists # of properties (rather than value, lvr, etc) is now publishing an article about why those numbers are BS.

We need to go deeper for complete inception, can they do an article next about why a property sales website pays people to write clickbait articles to drive traffic to their site & how we're all being manipulated by marketers? Please? I want to see how self aware they can get before getting fired.

Archaon likes this.
  19. Plutus

Plutus Well-Known Member

Or a lot of harm if prices go backwards and or rates go up... I'm with you with the caveat of having sufficient cash flow/alternate sources of funds to hold on through market changes for a long period of time... But I suspect more than a few of the "built a portfolio worth X million on a low income of only $y/year" types are in for a shock if(when) the RBA starts pushing up rates, or if the east coast sees a west coast style cool off.

20. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member Business Member

@Ace in the Hole "There were a lot of mining town investors/speculators with this approach....they are no longer investors.
    Leverage is a double edged sword when things don't go to plan."

this is where the asset selection comes into play. I can see the points from both of you. I would like to have a large portfolio (good quality properties) with higher LVR than a large portfolio ( poor quality properties) with lower LVR.