Why Hasn't Brisbane BOOMED

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by MTR, 28th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but I'm still cautious - at the end of the day, Brisbane is still a country town. There could be a showdown in queen St mall at any minute...usually at the strike of 12, walk past the buskers, the Mexican in the sombrero taking a siesta outside the saloon.. And there the stage is set.

2. Humphrey

Humphrey Well-Known Member

EDIT. As was pointed out by @samiam, RE results are for the whole of Queensland, Domain results are for Brisbane only. So the comparison I mention below is not valid.

Interesting that realestate.com.au's auction results were significantly different from Domain's results.

RE: 42% of 323
    Domain: 62% of 110

RE's results do take into account the whole week , whereas Domain's only seems to include Saturday. Still 42% doesn't seem very high to me.

Auction Results Brisbane, QLD - Latest Weekend Results

Last edited: 21st May, 2017
  3. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

Isn't RE for whole Qld and Domain is just for Brisbane??

4. Humphrey

Humphrey Well-Known Member

Yes you're right. My bad. I've edited the original post.

5. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

RE is for qld as a whole.
    Domain is for Brisbane specially.

6. Sam Yue

Sam Yue Well-Known Member

lol, just get the feeling from sentiments and information from multiple sources.

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Any updates on inner city houses? Any markets moving?

Whitecat likes this.
  8. ycdfdyan

ycdfdyan Well-Known Member

East Brisbane has been doing pretty good based on recent sales.

MTR likes this.
  9. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Not a suburb I follow but stats support this:
    Screenshot_2017-06-07-22-14-22.png

big max, ycdfdyan, Whitecat and 2 others like this.
  10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Realist35, HUGH72, Toon and 2 others like this.
  11. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

...Timing...

Sackie likes this.
  12. 1474

1474 Active Member

This has to happen sooner rather than later. If it doesn't then the longer it goes the more we should all double down, and double down again, and then ride the wave when it comes. You want to be the timing king/queen, then i reckon now is as good as ever. Although i was saying that 2 years ago hahahaha!!

What are peoples thoughts on the preempted growth, will it be a swift move over 2-5 years of consecutive 15%+ price rises as the global economy starts to pick up, we see the rba rates rise and hear stories similar to sydney in last 5yrs , or will it be a longer 10-15 year catch up with consistent 5-10% increases :D

Skyegirl and adam duckworth like this.
  13. big max

big max Well-Known Member

I think the pick up in Brisbane will be solid and sustained over next 5 years, nicely at 6-8%pa. For Gold Coast I see it being sharper in prime areas and similar in more outlying areas.

14. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

This is always a pretty quiet time of year here (because of the poor weather :p) I think it won't be until late July/August will a clearer picture will emerge.

15. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

I had to laugh a little at some comments on ABC last night from those in Melbourne "I'll never own a house in my lifetime!"..well you could if you moved to SEQ if that is the most important goal in your life. So blinkered..

1474, Kevvy7, big max and 2 others like this.
  16. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

That's because there are only 2 worthwhile places to buy property -Sydney and Melbourne.
    If not them, consider international or another asset class altogether... At least 1/4 of population will think this way methinks. :)

17. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Owning a PPoR is not a serious priority for most of the younger generation. If it was , many, many more of them would own units, townhouses and homes over the last 10 years. I don't care what any TV station, report, economist says to dispute that, It is total and absolute bu^^****. I know many people on average incomes who put a deposit down on places during that time because it was a serious priority for them to do it. They worked very hard, budgeted, saved, sacrificed and did it.

I don't care what all the others say about affordability. Its total BS, much of Australia IS affordable.

Last edited: 9th Jun, 2017
    1474, gman65, Kevvy7 and 5 others like this.
  18. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

"i'll never own a house in my lifetime" actually reads "i'll never own the house i deserve"

KL Enterprises, wylie and big max like this.
  19. Pentanol

Pentanol Well-Known Member

Yep agreed. I seriously don't understand the whole thing about the smashed avo, I used eat out during the week for lunch and dinner for my first couple of years working and ate at a cafe once a week and was still able to buy a house(s). I think the main thing is education because thinking back on it, if I knew what I know now, I would had bought properties when I was in uni in 2006 instead of shares. Instead I did end up buying my first one only two years ago.

Skyegirl likes this.
  20. Smasher

Smasher Well-Known Member

1. Many people want to live in the same cities as their friends and families.
    2. TBH Brisbane still has a bit of a way to go to shake off its reputation as a bogan big country town. I know its changed a lot in the last 10-15-20 years but reputations take a lot longer to shift. I've encountered this attitude a lot in Sydney. You tell people you're moving to Melbourne and they nod and look at you as sensible. Tell them you're moving to Brisbane and they pull a face like what's wrong with you.

samiam and Brickbybrick like this.