Why Hasn't Brisbane BOOMED

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by MTR, 28th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Who said you cant make money in Brisbane;)

Whitecat likes this.
  2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Would Amazon employ a lot of professionals?

3. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Most in Brisbane whether they consciously know it or not know Rocklea,in 2011 just after the floods went down when most found out that their insurance did not cover them some of the flood jobs sold for less then 150k,and there are several houses within that small area that are still the same as just after the 2011 floods..
    • [​IMG]

4. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

they could but i doubt they will get it- it will go some far off western sydney suburb where rents are cheaper yet still has access to , likely, the largest and most profitable market in australia.
    A DC wont actually add much either way; not too many jobs in a DC and most of them are lower value as well. Its the potential flow on for a larger operations center that carries the real weight.
    In anycase, i think sydney and mel are the obvious choices - the first 2 cabs off the rank for this stuff. This is the kinda stuff that the state govt in qld should be pushing for and aggressively pursuing...but wait- that requires vision and ambition...my bad...i should have known better :)
    Nevertheless, id be happy that amzn are even considering brisbane, as of as little as 5 years prior, i assure you that would not be the case.

Whitecat and Pumpkin like this.
  5. D.Matta

D.Matta Member

Certainly, many IT and digital marketing jobs would probably be required to start plus marketing, sales, finance teams etc.

They will also likely have a major warehouse operation out of brisbane as they are promising fast delivery on groceries

Pumpkin likes this.
  6. D.Matta

D.Matta Member

Your right, the state govt should be fighting harder to get massive corporations like this into qld.

Who knows, let's see what happens :)

7. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Jiggly! In 2013 I could see the signs and flew up to Brisbane like 8 times. Everyone was like wtf are you doing?? I got sick and tired of flying but I suspect it will be worth it:)

Skyegirl and Sackie like this.
  8. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

I'm seeing a bit more in terms of higher value jobs increasing in the cbd and surrounds.
    This has been going on for a few months. Nothing really big, but a gradual increase in high value jobs across the board of companies. Can only signal good things to come. the high supply in Brisbane will gradually get absorbed and this will put some real pressure on prices. By far majority non mining based increases.
    Your purchase in 2013 will likely be worth it.
    It's still not too late to buy now- but the bargains have gone. It will still be great value, but it won't be a steal like it was in 2012-2013.

9. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

What do you mean by you're seeing it, if you don't mind me asking? Like, where are you looking and how are you measuring?

10. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Primarily via 3 sources:
    1. Market research reports from various large recruitment firms eg talent intl, Michael page, etc, and
    2. Through work - consulting and bidding for work
    3. Numerous discussions with department heads (those who have money to spend, ie project sponaors- ie what are your plans for this year and when, etc type questions..they have expressed positivity- not holding back as much as they used to last year and before ). They are more confident of having by the money to spend and are spending by initiating projects. Nothing big ( Brisbane is no Sydney after all).. But better than last year for sure.

cstar, Skyegirl, Sackie and 1 other person like this.
  11. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yep...100% agree....ya have the finger on the pulse....

Skyegirl and JDP1 like this.
  12. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

they already are. just look at the army of recruiters they employ. another news I saw earlier this year specifically mentioned they are looking to hire operations and software engineers

13. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I'm still buying yeah. Two to go!

14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I suspect it will be worth it too ;) Especially for homes within 10km of the CBD I think there has already been 20-30% growth in the last few years. Certainly based on my own valuations and friends of mine that is the case.

Good luck with your next two!

15. Skyegirl

Skyegirl Well-Known Member

I nearly bought a house in Oxley. Not flooded in 2011 and not likely in the future. But still I was too hesitated to put an offer in before it was bought by someone else, just because of the history of the suburb.

16. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

Haha thats what we did
    I think we flew up 12 times to rennovate our property.
    Luckily had a brother in law who lived nearby who is a chippy. So tools wernt an issue
    We bought a real dungheap though

Needed a heap of work but it was worth it
    Made our holding costs pretty much neutral whereas we would of struggled to lease it otherwise

17. Sam Yue

Sam Yue Well-Known Member

18. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

I would agree. It 'feels' more positive.
    I'm getting a sense that brisbanites are feeling more confident about the local economy and thus are feeling a bit freer to spend. Reflecting in auction numbers as well.
    Brisbane Real Estate Auction Results
    These numbers are actually very good for Brisbane.

Sam Yue likes this.
  19. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I am feeling positive :)

Sam Yue likes this.
  20. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Don't know that particular market . Is it just the tone of the article ( which I like ).
    Is the sale price above expectations ? Any idea what it would have sold for a couple of years ago ?

Cliff

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia