Why Hasn't Brisbane BOOMED

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by MTR, 28th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Realist35

Realist35 Well-Known Member

I think it's quite obvious from these and many other posts that we all have different opinions on Brisbane and its potential. And that no one has a crystal ball:).

However I don't think it really matters for all long term BH investors, as long as they can ride out all vacancies, fluctuations in the economy etc. Eventually they'll certainly earn their money! It's better to be in the market than not to be...

Look at it as a 20 year timeframe and some great gains will be made.

Last edited: 28th Dec, 2016
    MWI, Whitecat, freyja and 1 other person like this.
  2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I invest to make money, may as well stick it in the bank to be honest if I am not looking at the potential today.

Don't shoot the messenger, but B&H should not mean that you rely on property doubling every 10 years, in the mean time you are servicing debt, and risks associated with this. BTW, interest rates have already started rising.

If investors want to make money today then it is critical to look at market conditions, guestimates, predictions don't work too well. Not saying I am an expert, not saying I don't make mistakes, not saying my strategy is perfect..... however, I wish people would stop following the herd and do some ground work.

What I have discovered is...... Forums make people lazy.

jujaro, Wukong, Ekin200 and 7 others like this.
  3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Indeed. There will be no boom in Perth in 12 months time. Not sure where you are seeing that. The most optimistic prediction I have seen for Perth is the market will stop falling in 12 months.

Citycat88 and MTR like this.
  4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@Perthguy you'll let me know yeh...
    when Perth is ripe...then we'll go plucking galore! :cool::D

Whitecat and Perthguy like this.
  5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I disagree with this. There are all sorts of investors. We've never been aggressive other than to borrow until we can borrow no more (when we had incomes).

We are not lazy (well, we are now that we are retired) but never wanted to do more than buy and hold, renovate and enjoy the rent coming in. We renovated every house we've ever bought to increase the rent, but were never interested in doing more than that. We had a life to live that didn't involve houses.

Could we have more money and "things" if we'd pushed harder, if I'd got a job when the kids were little... yes. Did we want that... no.

Buy and hold has been very good to us. We've done renovations and value adds but time has been the prime mover really.

Not everyone wants to focus on developing and property is but one way of getting rich. And I'm way too lazy to read charts and look for the next boom area. We've done very well without that much focus.

Houses may not (and never really have) doubled every ten years. There is no guarantee. But I don't think anything will be cheaper than it is right now in the long term (short term dips excluded of course).

I particularly disagree that you "may as well stick it in the bank".

Realist35, Kevvy7, rookie101 and 15 others like this.
  6. Realist35

Thanks MTR, anyways glad to hear your thoughts:).

However, to an average investor line myself, that is no expert in economy, there is 50% chance Brisbane will go up next year, and there is 50% chance it will go down. However I'm quite confident I'll make money from it over the next 20 years.

Therefore if I don't but now I'm just loosing:).

Further, Brisbane is not in a horrible condition like Perth for example, and it hasn't been booming for years, such as Melbourne or Sidney. Brisbane is also among the 4 capitals that I'd like to limit all my investments on. Just my thought process:).

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes, that's pretty much what experts are saying, still falling prices, we have highest job rate in the country unfortunately.

Perthguy likes this.
  8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Personally I believe there are opportunities everywhere, every state. The X factor is the investor, their plans/goals/strategies/skill level/risk profile.

9. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

No boom for Brisbane for another 12 to 18 months.

First thing Queenslanders have to do is to toss out this lame duck, anti-business, anti-development Labor State Government. Next State elections is late 2017/early 2018.

Look what happened on the Gold Coast when they elected a pro-business, pro-development government leader. Development increases, businesses startup/grow, employment goes up, economy improves, property prices increase, ...

Current State Government can't even schedule trains; can't expect them to turn the economy around :) :).

rookie101, Blueskies, MJS1034 and 9 others like this.
  10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I don't think I said B&H is a poor strategy, and I don't think I said everyone needs to be a developer, and not everyone makes money developing property.

I am really trying to explain investors could do way better by looking at market conditions when buying property, ie when was the last boom cycle, are we in a falling market, what is selling today, the product, what is the demand, how long is it taking to sell. This is just common sense IMO.

You are actually B&H and add value, that is actually another strategy right? not straight buy and hold, as your buying properties under market value to immediately increase equity?

Congratulations, but not everyone does well with B&H strategy very much dependent on where, when and what they buy, we have read posts by PC members who have shared their experiences. My point is if you consider market conditions you could access equity straight up because you are purchasing on a rise and still hold.

I am also not into stats because most of the information is either outdated, rubbery and becomes confusing.
    All I am stating is that investors should at least be looking at market conditions when they buy, I would think it is logical but surprising how many investors don't do this.

Perthguy and wylie like this.
  11. big max

big max Well-Known Member

Note the comments on Brisbane vs Gold Coast in the initial article. This trend is likely to continue ...

kierank likes this.
  12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

... next question... ask yourself where/what markets are rising today, forget about tomorrow cos we just don't know??? If you don't know start researching, there is at least 1-2 markets at the moment that may make sense where you could possibly access equity within the next 12 months.

.. its not about guess work, that will make for average results IMO.

MTR:)

Perthguy and Realist35 like this.
  13. Realist35

Hey MTR,

Would you have any examples of investors that haven't done well with BH strategy long term, say over a 20 year period? I'd love to learn more.

14. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Thing is, when Brisbane does boom, it'll blow our socks off and we'll all say how we should've seen it coming.
    Well done to those who've already bought up. Move over, I'm on my way.
    But the smugness on the hype Brisbane threads didn't do anyone any favours. :cool:

Whitecat, Realist35, ellejay and 5 others like this.
  15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I did note this, totally different beasts, and investors should start taking time to research this market GC, what is selling, what is happening etc

16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

not naming on PC, but been on this forum long enough to know that there have been average results by some.

More important...............Can you name people who have reached financial freedom over the last 15 years on this forum I only know about 4. That must tell you something right

Whitecat and Realist35 like this.
  17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

.... but those buying in Brissy in the main got the timing wrong that is the point, they disregarded the boomig markets today.... such as Melbourne, Syd, Perth, double digit growth figures

What I am trying to explain and not very well is investors are not following market conditions if they were they would have purchased in booming markets today. Investors seem to ignore this important factor.

We are all trying to maximise our profits, and we don't get that time back unfortunately, something I have learnt the hard way.

Connor, Whitecat and WattleIdo like this.
  18. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Yeah totally agree. Talking to a few Brisbanites over 13, 14, 15 and their feedback was no jobs and no bites on the houses they'd been trying to sell for years.
    I agree that not everyone who contributes on the forum is really all that savvy. Oh, there are some brilliant investors here, but you have to give them as much due diligence as you'd give a property.
    Don't just listen to any fancy pants braggart who spends all day working on their image.
    At the end of the day, it's your money. Most self-hypers are average investors at best.

pwnitat0r, Humphrey, S.T and 10 others like this.
  19. Speede

Speede Well-Known Member

Post of the year.

pommy and WattleIdo like this.
  20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

That's calling a spade a shovel, I like it:)

WattleIdo likes this.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.