Why has your household cut back on spending?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Peter2013, 6th Dec, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Why has your household cut back on spending?

1. Cost of living exceeds wage growth

22 vote(s)
    23.2%
  2. Unemployed/underemployed

7 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. Could lose job in 2020 recession

9 vote(s)
    9.5%
  4. Too much household debt (Australia has the 2nd highest level of household debt in the world)

23 vote(s)
    24.2%
  5. Lost confidence in government

10 vote(s)
    10.5%
  6. Lost confidence in the RBA (will QE really work?)

6 vote(s)
    6.3%
  7. Minimalism

52 vote(s)
    54.7%
  8. Climate Change (Why kill the planet buying, transporting and manufacturing stuff you don't need)

16 vote(s)
    16.8%
  9. Negative wealth effect from 2017/2018 housing correction.

5 vote(s)
    5.3%
  10. Current Sydney/Melbourne Housing bubble unsustainable and could crash

10 vote(s)
    10.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. # 1

# 1 Well-Known Member

Can I ask what/why are you spending a lot on your 9 month old baby? How much a month and what are you spending on? I've got a 7 month old and it's been pretty cheap so far, only about $350 per month at the moment.

2. # 1

# 1 Well-Known Member

Thailand is super expensive to live/travel because of the very strong Thai baht. I didn't think the accommodation in Myanmar was good value for money. Philippines, Cambodia and Vietnam are better places to live like a king.

spoon likes this.
  3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Clothes, I like to buy her nice clothes. Also good food, eg blue eye cod.

4. # 1

# 1 Well-Known Member

I don't spend a lot on clothes because they grow out of it so quickly at that age but I like to make sure he looks gwapo. What's blue eye cod, is that a fish she likes to eat? Mine has just got 2 bottom teeth coming through so he can only eat congee and other soft things.

5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Yeah we go through clothes alot but I don't mind. She also has 2 front teeth, she loves blue eye cod fish lightly pan fry. It's like $70 a kilo.

# 1 likes this.
  6. icic

icic Well-Known Member

I am holding back because childcare cost is Astronomical in the inner city! I got two kids so there goes our one salary. We still do cafes and eating out from time to time but I havent spend anything on clothing for more than 2 years, maybe thats why the likes of Roger David and Harris Scarfe folded.

Sackie likes this.
  7. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I rarely drive. My primary modes of transport are: public transport, walking, cycling and ride sharing. I have a cheap car for when I need it only. Unfortunately Perth is not great to go completely carless but minimal driving is definitely possible.

8. Waterboy

Waterboy Well-Known Member

No Kids No Worries

Perthguy likes this.
  9. Waterboy

Waterboy Well-Known Member

https://bluenotes.anz.com/content/d...rgan-Financial-Wellbeing-Indicator-Report.pdf

Figure 8 shows that the amount of savings Australians hold in deposit and transaction accounts has increased, with mean savings rising from $29,430 in December 2014 to $41,262 in December 2018, and median savings increasing from $4110 in December 2014 to $5640 in December 2018:

[​IMG]

APRA monthly banking statistics and the ABS demographic statistics both show an increase in Australians’ household savings on a per capita basis from $28,146 in December 2014 to $36,068 in December 2018…

The report also shows that households have cut back on their spending amid weak income growth:

Figure 9 shows that Australians have adapted to lower wage growth in recent years by restraining their spending, as illustrated by declining levels of household expenditure growth…

[​IMG]

Anne11 likes this.
  10. wilso8948

wilso8948 Well-Known Member

Need to grab some of these bad boys. Like $2 a kilo. Kids love em.
    [​IMG]

Toon, Beano, Brendon and 1 other person like this.
  11. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I'm not cutting back, in fact probably spending much more, however I've always lived with being happy with what I have. For example, earlier this year we replaced our main car, not because we wanted a new, shiny car, only because the old one had started to become expensive. We'll keep this new one for many years until it starts to cost us too much. It's not like we can't afford to BUY a new car when ever we want one because we paid cash for it, but why buy one until you NEED one. My office computer is getting quite long in the tooth, but it still works fine, so why replace it. When it starts to have problems I'll have no issue purchasing a new one.

RoadRunnerPerth and Perthguy like this.
  12. ttn

ttn Well-Known Member

It's funny that we seemed to cut spending in Aust and increased spending overseas for the last 7 years

Probably in thinking that while younger we can travel far away and when older slow down to domestic when the children had grown up and not likely travel with us any longer