NSW Why has the low end Broken Hill House market recently diminished so much?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Lubi Boy, 18th Aug, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Lubi Boy

Lubi Boy New Member

I'm not referring to the derelict low end market where a house is close to unlivable and priced below $50,000.
    I'm referring to Broken Hill houses priced between $50,000 and $70,000 that are in very ordinary, yet livable condition, and require mainly "cosmetic" renovations. I'm also referring to houses to live in, not to invest in for rent returns.
    I've been looking closely at this 50k to 70K market in Broken Hill for the past 2 years or so. Usually on any given day there's at least 1 or 2 quite nice, very old, houses on the market for this price and 4 or 5 less nice houses.
    This has changed over the past few months and passably livable houses in this price range have become very rare indeed.
    Does anyone know why?
    I've lived in Broken Hill for many years and wish to move back there into a little 1 or 2 bedroom cottage. Broken Hill has been a very quiet,safe, friendly town for me and it easily has all the services I need.

2. thunderstrike888

thunderstrike888 Well-Known Member

3. Lubi Boy

Lubi Boy New Member

To thunderstrike .... that house for $80,000 in your link is a wreck. I can get something better than that (based on past sales over the past 10 or so years). Over the years, usually at least several times a month, there has been a little 1 or 2 bedroom old fashioned house that is nice and passable and mainly needs basic things like painting, crack filling, new carpets etc etc and is for sale at aprox. $50,000 to $70,000 or so. Also, there are many houses in that range that are also wrecks and in need of structural change and major, expensive renovations.
    Over the past few months the type of housing at these prices that I require has been diminishing in Broken Hill.
    At the moment I'm not looking to buy, but I will be in about 8 or so months time.

4. Wilko

Wilko Well-Known Member

Because the market has gone up over the last 10 years?

5. thunderstrike888

thunderstrike888 Well-Known Member

6. Lubi Boy

Lubi Boy New Member

Wilko ..... at the low end of the market the house prices in Broken Hill have remained very constant over that time frame.

7. Ruby Tuesday

Ruby Tuesday Well-Known Member

I would say it is because they havent gone up, and there is not many places where you can get houses in that price range or even any house to put a roof over your head.

8. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

You can thank covid, early super withdrawals and job keeper
    and a commodities price uptick.....

When we were in Broken Hill a few months ago it was pumping, never seen it busy like that

Currently only 15 properties for rent , never seen that either

The prices seem to have stalled a little lately so still a good chance to get in before it becomes priced relative to everywhere else in Aus

So the questions are
    Why are you only looking to spend 50-70k?
    Are you a cash buyer or getting a loan?

9. Frenchie

Frenchie Well-Known Member

BH market moved up a fair bit. Your 80k houses are easily worth 120-150k. People seemed to have bought for yield, and from what I gathered when I went there last time, a few covid refugees / work from home city people moved up (renting or buying).

I don't know what future there is for the town if the mine is closing in the future, but it was a lot better than I expected (and I even found good coffee).

I understand the surprise at BH prices going up - population is decreasing and prices have been stable for... very long.

10. strongy1986

I think the latest census will reveal a population increase

Historically over the last 5 -10 years there have been around 400 properties for sale in BH. Currently sitting low 100s and trending lower
    Also no rentals available - down to 13
    use to sit between 50 and 70

Of course some houses will become derelict over those years but i still feel the population has increased, particularly after seeing the amount of people around a few monghs back

As you eluded, there is actually nothing wrong with the town ogher than being extremely isolated

11. devo76

devo76 Well-Known Member

Wasn't there a period in the hill years back when FHBs could take the offered first home buyer grants and buy houses outright ?

12. strongy1986

Possibly around 2008 when the grants were big from memory
    our house cost 44k in 2015 but it was a dump. We had to spend about 25k on it (new everything internally) . Currently rented to long term happy tenant for $220

13. captain starlight

captain starlight Well-Known Member

Isn’t there some strange land titling in some places in BH - where you don’t actually own the land but lease it?

14. Wilko

Wilko Well-Known Member

3yr growth 20.95%
    5yr growth 15.45%

15. Wilko

Wilko Well-Known Member

20.95% growth over the last three years, it's going to be harder to find a house for the same price as before.

The ones that used to be 70k are still there, they're just 100k now.

I've been watching BH on and off for about 7 years, back then there was plenty of choice for 50K not any more.

16. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Yep! It's called a property boom. They even happen in Broken Hill from time to time.
    You can't base prices on 10 year old figures. Prices might be higher again in eight months.

It's not rocket science, is it?

17. Truly Exotic

Truly Exotic Well-Known Member

It's a scam!:p

gman65, Wilko and skater like this.
  18. Spaniel77

Spaniel77 New Member

Hi guys,

New here. I have no idea what led me here. I saw an ad for Realestate.com, remembered the 50k I've been saving for 6 years and ended up surprised to see houses still selling at BH for around 80k plus.

I was gobsmacked. Really? In Australia? Wow.

Question is guys, would you buy here?

I already have 2 properties and was hoping my next one would be in Leura or Bowral in NSW but I don't know if I'll every afford those. Some of the properties at BH looked ok and rental around $240. Paid off in years no?

I'm not really an expert. Just using basic math in my head. Maybe these forums would help.