"Why Gen Y is dissatisfied"

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Lizzie, 5th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

2. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

Making sweeping assumptions about people based on their age is such a boomer thing to do ;)

dan_89, radson, EN710 and 2 others like this.
  3. Esel

Esel Well-Known Member

maybe its like that in the USA but i doesnt sound like the Gen Y people i know in australia.

I do think the author makes an good point about the effect of social media on self esteem. (and i would add 'reality' tv).

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@Esel I prefer antisocial media - like 'the bear pit'. Toughen up gen x, y & z.

5. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

So is being bad parents if the article is to be believed :D

AndrewTDP likes this.
  6. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Great article...I agree and it is not solely applicable to Gen Y.

Unfortunately...these unrealistic expectations and the instant gratification culture in a lot of societies is causing this misery. People want attention...so what do they do they do...they buy expensive good and homes without considering the impact. This seems to be largely to impress people...some who they don't even like.

I feel simplify and getting what you need is the balance. As one said wants and needs are different.

Believe it or not...it is mindset.

Hanison, bob shovel and Bayview like this.
  7. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

"Happiness = reality - expectations"

That I really really like.

Nice article.

Can be applied to many people, not just gen y'ers.

It really applies to everyone with over inflated expectations.

Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy talks about having preferences rather than expectations. It's great to prefer to do well, earn a lot, etc... But they are just preferences, you don't "NEED THEM".

Problems form when people expect the world to bend over backward for them and when it doesn't they catastrophize "I didn't get that job that I HAD TO GET therefore everything is hopeless and terrible and life is horrible and I should just give up".

For me I don't expect to be happy much in life. I would prefer it. But it's not necessary.

My outlook is that I'm like a human punching bag. Life can hit me as hard as it wants but I'm not going to break under it's pressure and demands.

EN710 likes this.
  8. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

The comments at the bottom on this article are brilliant. Predominantly Gen Y commenting why they ARE special, and its everybody else's fault that they haven't reached their expectations.

WattleIdo likes this.
  9. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

"he who expects nothing, shall not be disappointed"

10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I agree - can apply to anyone, but does seem to be more prominent in recent generations ... and that bit was my favourite as well ... especially about social media.

What is often forgotten is that people usually only post the really good stuff online - they don't tell anyone their cat sicked on their rug - or the boss gave them a dressing down - or the partners was in a shirty mood - or the 10 failed job interviews ... I think it's so good for everyone to realise that the stuff on social media is like a movie highlights reel, not reality

11. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

I love the fact that, not only does it highlight the problems and its causes, but goes on to offer advice.

Although my current students are not Gen Y-ers (they finished graduating a few years back), a lot of this mentality is still evident. They are (apparently) going to finish school and become 'a manager' or 'successful' - and all within 12 months of leaving. However, they have no idea what they are going to manage, or how they are going to be succesful - but they're entitled to a job that will get them a lot of money, so it's all just going to land in their lap.

If only they knew the truth......

12. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

The scary thing is that I do have a 25 year old boss atm who has no idea of what she's doing or the calibre of the staff who have resigned since she started. She doesn't listen, shouts at people twice her age, and now it's a matter of a sinking ship. I do think it might be an age thing rather than generational, though.

Tim86 likes this.
  13. AndrewTDP

Comments about how bad the next generation are pre date Christianity. I'm not to concerned about the collapse of society just yet.

KayTea likes this.
  14. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

That post is an oldie but a goodie.

Think there's a lot of truth to it - especially with regards to the success of others in their social groups, causing anxiety and distress. The concept of running your own race is certainly not present in the minds of a lot of younger people these days.

Last edited: 6th Sep, 2015
    WattleIdo likes this.
  15. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I really love the doco Status Anxiety by Allain D'Botton. Or nearly everything he's done.

16. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

The post is good.

I'm Gen Y. But I am very different from most of my peers. I don't really know why.

KayTea and norwoodman like this.
  17. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

Curiously - Gen Y's are much more likely to own investment properties at a younger age more than any other generation ever - with there being almost as many multi property owners are a percentage as baby boomers (16% vs 17% of age group owning 2+ properties)

Stereotypes are fun, but as always the reality can be something different. I think the key difference with Gen Y and younger people today is that they have a much more active ability to spread their voice through social media - how many average Australian's had the capability of being able to get their story/message in front of billions of people with a click of their fingers previously? (more often than not, it will be the inane and obnoxious who end up in front of everyone unfortunately).

Last edited: 6th Sep, 2015
    AndrewTDP likes this.
  18. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Nothing changes...

The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

- Socrates

19. Emoi

Emoi Well-Known Member

That is exactly what you have done yourself Mr Pot

wylie likes this.
  20. AndrewTDP

[​IMG]

Joshwaaaa and sanj like this.