Why don't normal people think like us?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Tim86, 18th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

That actually worked for my brother. He was anti property investment until he read that book and realised he needed passive income.

2. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Indeed.

Though, based on Tim's comments, it may be possible that they have no electricity running at the moment.

miked and 158 like this.
  3. citystar

citystar Well-Known Member

My family and friends know what I do and most of them don't know how I manage it. I let them approach me in conversation about property and 99% of them never ask questions about it because they are honestly not interested. Their eyes glaze over and they enter a dream like state at the mention of property investing. Each to their own. If they did ask I'd happily explain in clear detail the tricks of the trade I have learnt from past experience and also from the wealth of information from Somersoft and this forum.

4. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Haha I'm not religious any more. But was brought up in a very religious family. I wonder if that mindset has stuck with me.

I honestly think it's just a desire to want to see my mates do well.

5. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Haha yep. Every time I go on about property with people I have to pull myself up and remind myself "they don't care...you are boring every body".

Back when my wife worked we used to go to work functions and there was a couple at her work that were right into property. We had awesome conversations about property that would have bored half the rest of the population to death :)

citystar likes this.
  6. freyja

freyja Well-Known Member

+1

We all have different life purposes and need to follow our own paths. For some, there is more to life than investing and it doesn't necessarily mean they're doing something wrong. It's just different.

CU@THETOP, Perp and Tillie like this.
  7. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

The best one is the thoughts of looking after a "rental"... The tenants will trash it and not pay the rent and then never move out!

8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I agree with you.

Although there arent too many people i know who would turn down the prospect of financial wealth if they knew they actully could have it.

Last edited: 18th Jul, 2015
  9. Joshwaaaa

Joshwaaaa Well-Known Member

I didnt care at all about "investing" untill i had a kid. I was 100% happy living pay cheque to pay cheque probably still would be if the boy wasnt around

10. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Sounds like you got a "why".

:)

11. Tillie

Tillie Well-Known Member

I and my husband are really private people and no-one in our friends and family knows a full picture about our investments and finances, because the most of them would not understand or even be interested. If they ask we talk about it, otherwise why to waste our energy to explain...

12. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Hey, but hang on...aren't we all being bombarded with sales to evil NG investors now - swallowing up the r/e world so that noone else can buy?

13. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

I recently converted my sister in law to property investing because she was complaining about the low interest rate for the term deposit. Not much you can do with the low interest rates atm.

14. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Yep it's easy to be a genius on a rising tide ;)

Perp likes this.
  15. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Investing is simple but not easy ;)

At least the Government is ensuring via Super that most have money put away for retirement and Aussie Superannuation is growing rapidly

16. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

See the way I do it I wouldnt be bothered if prices fell or stayed the same for 10 years because I have profitable rentals. I dont rely on a rising tide, although it is a bonus.

17. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

If its so "Easy to be a genius in a rising tide" then how come we don't see more investor geniuses out there when there is a boom market? not everyone does well during a boom market. I know many people who bought ips in NSW and in the last few years only had minimal growth, while others have set things up in certain ways pre-boom to now have more than 45%+ growth in equity in some cases.

When a boom market comes and some investors do very well, its easy to say its the 'boom market', but don't overlook and minimalize the hard work of searching, planning, negotiating and acquiring the deals before a market boom in the right location with the right type of dwellings etc.. with a planned expectation of when the market picks up your stock will do well above some others, to me that's quite an intelligent set up, especially when not all dwellings will do equally well in a boom. just my opinion.

Last edited: 19th Jul, 2015
    miked and Tim86 like this.
  18. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Good post, this makes sense.

I think we need to keep things in perspective a bit. Buying a property and renting it out is the simplest and most idiot proof way of making long term money. None of us here are changing the world or curing cancer, some of the recent preaching is a bit over the top (not targeting u here tim, just a comment in general)

Fargo and The Falcon like this.
  19. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

I think we do see lots of this. When perth boomed there were lots of people who effectively bought property by throwing a dart on a map or buying something they just came across without much strategy behind it. Many of these people made a packet.

Sure u have to be in it to win it and they had the foresight and guts to do so but a big boom does tend to make investment geniuses out of some.

MTR and The Falcon like this.
  20. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

Investing in property provides financial security... and the freedom to pursue the things we are passionate about - like curing cancer :)