Why don't businesses change?

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by hammer, 9th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Up in Darwin at the moment things are tough. Really tough.

Businesses are closing up all over the place.

But what gets me is that businesses aren't changing. Some owners are going " this is how I've always done it, it doesn't make money anymore I must close".

I get it... but wouldn't you change things up? I.e "this doesn't work anymore, but what about this?".

Amoungst all the doom and gloom I'm seeing new businesses popping up and killing it. They are doing things differently and running laps around the "old" businesses.

So what is stopping the old businesses from changing? Is it just too hard? Or is the economy so crap the business will die anyway?

Anyone got any insight into this psychology? Why don't they change? Even to save themselves?

timmy and Terry_w like this.
  2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I think you'll find they won't change because they can't.

Most small business owners have simply bought themselves a job. They don't earn big dollars, they work even harder than they would have if they were a PAYG employee and they have even less job security.

They certainly don't have the capital or the time available to invest in reinventing themselves.

In many cases, it's much easier for someone new to come in and start from scratch than it is for an existing business to reinvent itself.

Many businesses are largely mechanical in nature - particularly in retail and services - you do what you do, and that's all you do. The "this is how I've always done it" is the only way they know how because they don't have the skill, the desire, or the financing to innovate.

Keeping up with change requires innovation - and innovation is extremely difficult for an established small business - especially when there is the risk that your changes will not work and you've sunk your limited capital into something that won't show a return.

timmy, lixas4, Guest and 4 others like this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Things have always been done that way (not that it makes it right) so they keep doing the same thing.

Travel agencies, real estate agencies etc are still bricks and mortar prescences in the retail strip. Who books a trip at an agency? Who walks in to an REA, looks in the window and asks the agent if they can take them a viewing?

Estate Agencies (and the main portals) were slow on the uptake but it is more convenient to search, analyse etc from the comfort of your phone whether it is sales or rentals. Still, many agencies only use a basic rental portal with one or two photos which neither does justice to the property nor any favours for the agent. Sure it is low value but the rent roll is the only real asset of an agency and guaranteed cashflow in a downturning marketplace.

Travel agents are just as bad. The online brokers gouge 15-25% from holiday property owners/operators which is just as much as the bricks an mortar outlets. Agents still rely on posters, brochures, flyers - so 1800's. (Rant off).

lixas4 and hammer like this.
  4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I think there's a big difference between real estate agencies and travel agencies.

For a start, most REAs still exist. Many travel agencies have gone out of business.

REAs are still required. As yet, there are not many alternatives for getting rentals or buying a property. While many physical shops exist, they do advertise extensively in many different media. They don't need to change their model significantly at this stage, they are mostly doing well with the way they are doing things. I still see people looking in shop windows.

However it's quite easy to book a trip without a TA. Flight Centre is one of the few survivors - a part of their business model has always been buying flights in bulk for a discount and selling them cheaper than their competitors. Many others have gone out of business.

My wife used to be a travel agent. She worked for an online accommodation booking agency for a number of years, but was made redundant from there too, as her role was outsourced overseas. She has had to retrain into disabled care.

While it's possible that some of the roles of a REA could be lost to online only roles, I can't see the property management roles disappearing (though it's possible the roles could change).

5. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

In terms of the REAs....they are changing. I see heaps now without a shopfront. A large online footprint with a laptop and mobile phone get the job done fine without all the overheads.

6. Simon Hampel

Travel agents are largely transactional in nature aren't they? Much easier to disrupt a transactional business, since loyalty is far less important.

While Real Estate Agents also facilitate transactions - they are very large and emotionally difficult transactions, so relationship management is still critical. This is why I feel that online agents haven't yet gained real traction - because there is still a large amount of handholding involved that you simply can't get online.

Not suggesting that online agents can't succeed - but I don't think they will ever kill off local real estate agents.

Lots of niche retail has lost out to online - look at electronics speciality stores like Tandy, Dick Smith, Jaycar. Only Jaycar survives and then only in small dingy back-street shops - most likely heavily supported by their online presence.

Many online stores I've bought from have a shopfront somewhere - these are the guys that will survive - the ones who have been able to innovate by adding a well managed online shop to their physical presence.

Same with computer hardware and musical equipment - I buy all my stuff online from places that also have a physical presence. In some cases, there is an element of security there too - since I know that I can always drive across town and physically return something or at least discuss with staff if I have warranty issues. Warranty returns become far more problematic if you have to pay for shipping as well!

wylie likes this.
  7. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

My last business we owned for 20 years (1990 to 2010).

In that time, we had to re-generate ourselves at least 3 times, around every 5 years. For us, it was part of the cost of doing business.

Dinosaurs died out for a reason.

Same applies in business, whether it is big (IBM, Kodak) or small.

hammer likes this.
  8. Simon Hampel

Our local fish and chip shop has been selling the same delicious greasy fried food ever since we've lived in the area (over 20 years). They could probably do with some regeneration though :p

kierank likes this.
  9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Now his daughter is more often than not in the shop as well. He changed the oil last week and the chips & scallops were great. A loaf from Bakers Delight and we were set.

The area has seen a bit of change but the retail strip hasn't progressed, even the chemist is up for lease. Not sure what's going on with council as to why alot of that shopping strip isn't bowled over and facaded for shoptop housing set back from the main drag. It's a bit hard for retailers to reinvent themselves when the shopping strip leaves alot to be desired (though I see the coffee shop is slowly refurbishing).