Why Do Most Investors Stop Purchasing After Two Properties?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Rixter, 20th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Good observation, this is spot on with people I know.

2. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

Rix,

Updated figures released next year with Census will be very interesting indeed!
    Any thoughts on what movement we will see in total numbers and number of properties per person etc?

3. Justin_Z

Justin_Z Mortgage Broker Business Member

I'd say:
    • limited knowledge/awareness around investing in general, access to networks
    • compounded by certain beliefs around property and investment that are impacted by the media, e.g. bubbles, bad luck stories
    • lack of motivation
    • change in family/personal circumstances such as illness, career change, a new baby etc
    • goals have changed since their investments started

Interesting to know that it'll take 5 IP's to be in the "1%"

4. devank

devank Well-Known Member

Few people I know kept their first PPOR after upgrading/moving. They would all belong to the 1st group. Even few in the 2nd group.

5. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

That's the biggie Terry. Once some investors get a few under their belts they look to different entities especially if they are able to reset their land tax liability.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  6. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Quoted for truth.

If I hadn't discovered a brilliant broker on Somersoft (Rolf Latham), I would have been stuck with a PPOR and zip else.

Being able to obtain finance as you need it as you build your portfolio is critical.

The recent APRA changes have shaken things up a bit for those getting started (especially on lower incomes) which makes structuring things right that much more important for those who aren't equity rich and/or earning high incomes.

If success is 80% mindset and 20% action, property investment is 80% finance structure and 20% everything else.

Lio83, cenz, Grandview and 2 others like this.
  7. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Portfolio Perth Brisbane Sydney Melbourne
    That will be an interesting stat. If its anything like like past reports, basically the same.

8. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

guess there are at least 2 timelines here

PA = Pre APRA intervention - because most peops invest in property as a side line or a plan b or plan c - like most people treat their super.................................................only those with focussed certainty over other peoples doubts, and appropriate association of some sort are likely to cut it.

AA = Alcoholics Anonymous - oops sorry, wrong meeting, what was meant to be After Apra intervention, APRA made me do it, its just another excuse.

ta
    rolf

cenz, Eric Wu and Gockie like this.
  9. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

Most mum and dad investors I know have stopped due to horror tenant stories, some of their experience, most hearing from others. Why buy more properties in case we get a/nother bad tenant?

10. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

Very true beachgirl but as Rolf has said above its just an excuse not to keep investing or due to the fact they haven't done all they could to minimise those risks..

11. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Who hoo!

Just saying I love that Rolf has come onto the new forum!
    Thanks for joining, you are someone I would miss the most from SS. I think you never fail to give excellent advice.

Natedog and Redom like this.
  12. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

A lot of people seem to stop when life gets in the way. The majority of 'normal' people who have 1 or 2 investment properties probably don't think of themselves as investors and might not particularly want to buy more, not that they can't.

Ace in the Hole likes this.
  13. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

Some interesting thoughts here - I'd see it as two or three key reasons:

1. Fear of debt and banks. I guess this applies to one of life's most common barriers to success/achievement - fear.

2. Property tends to be a lumpy asset and more difficult to transact/diversify. This only deepens the fear of debt. Own two properties in Sydney and you may be in over a mill in debt. A lot of people translate that to their household income, which is easily 10x the figure (and thats a scary thought for those not educated on the finance side of things and view properties as bricks and mortar).

3. Lack of interest.

14. Nem

Nem Well-Known Member

Definitely fear of debt, you need to pay off debt as soon as possible and live debt free!
    Lack of interest which leads to lack of information, knowledge and etc
    Surrounded with wrong people, not aware of possibilities and so on...

One of my friends purchased investment property as something that needed to be done, set up P&I loan and happy with achievement that one day that will be paid off... I asked her to do interest only, to visit somersoft, to think about all the opportunities out there, but no, she's done with that as property investing is not something she wants to do and that's it! By the way, she does have loan on PPOR and still doesn't wana change loan terms because its just too complicated and both will eventually be paid off. I try not to feel heart broken when she talks about it

15. Singo

Singo Well-Known Member

1 or 2 properties give enough Negative Gearing. So they stop :p

16. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

Risk, stress, better opportunities elsewhere. I had 3 for a while, was not comfortable with it so sold 1. Prefer not to have too many eggs in one basket, 1 or 2 enough for me. In a property crash the average person with 3 or more would be clobbered, those with 1 or 2 better chance of survival and even to purchase when the market is down. I suppose you have to believe a crash is possible/likely to have this attitude though, otherwise borrowing to the moon makes sense.

Ouga likes this.
  17. libertyrx

libertyrx Member

funny that, one of our friends was told to get one by their accountant to save tax!
    they sold it 7 years later as it was costing them too much & had very little CG

most other non SS/PC people i know have done the above to 'save tax' or have come together in their 30's and one or both has a ppor that they change to IP and buy/rent a new place the can both call theirs.
    consensus at work is that IP's are a big hassle (all those nasty tenants!) and cost too much

18. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

Another reason people go P&I on investment properties and pay it off as quickly as possible is because the property is never registered as an IP and they never pay tax on the net proceeds. Its a tax free investment and the ATO cannot detect this, unlike shares where the ATO hooks into the Chess system.

19. Egga

Egga Active Member

Definitely finance, also motivation

20. Kael

Kael Well-Known Member

My Mum is a great example of this. She inherited a property and now makes great money on it, along with great equity. I asked her a few months ago "Why don't you buy another one?" Her answer was simple according to her... "I don't want to deal with bad tenants".