Why did you quit your goal?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Ace in the Hole, 24th May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Well-Known Member

I'm an all or nothing kind of person, so I've quit many things because the ''why'' didn't motivate me enough anymore. However some of those things I've gotten back to eventually (months or years later), so I didn't REALLY quit them?

2. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

Sooo, now that you've remembered your goal, I'm keen to hear this big audacious goal?? :p:D

datto likes this.
  3. Gestalt

Gestalt Well-Known Member

4. Jasper

Jasper Well-Known Member

I don't believe in setting goals except in finance (eg pay off your mortgage goal, retire early goal).

I think other types of goals suck the joy out of life. I find people just want to tick off the goal and then feel empty, so they immediately think up another BS goal. They speed through life trying to tick off goal after goal. I like to enjoy today for what it brings. My friend has a goal to do a TED talk. Yes that is literally the goal! Shouldn't the goal be to spread knowledge?

I also firmly believe in quitting when the aim was just to bring you joy. E.g. i worked on a large painting for 2 years. It stopped bringing me joy and started sucking the life out of me, so i threw it in the bin! Couldn't be happier :)

datto likes this.
  5. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Five million bucks, cash, in the bank. Big house, big garage, big cars, big woman lol.

Chris Au likes this.
  6. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

If I can give you anything from my experience, it is follow your passion. If you do that the only regret you're going to have is that you should've done it years ago. You'll also find the money comes naturally as a result of the natural energy you put into it.

lixas4 likes this.
  7. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

That's good advice, but unfortunately my passion right now is doing stuff with my kids, and while the rate of pay measured in hugs and kisses is high, for some reason the bank wont let me use that to pay my mortgage ;) The highlight of my week is actually as a volunteer teaching ethics at my kids' school. The thought of retraining and becoming a teacher at this age doesn't seem logical though.

cheers,
    Inertia

lixas4 and Morgs like this.
  8. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Here's a better option - create an online course or program teaching what you'd 'like' to teach, and sell it to schools ;)

Teachers need all the help they can get!

Terry_w likes this.
  9. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Public speaking is a big phobia for many and no often done well. It's a really great skill to master. I am terrified of public speaking but have done it very well in the past at times.

One hint I have been given but have not tried yet is to join the local toast masters group. I don't know anything about it but apparently it helps. It could be worthwhile for you if you make the effort.

10. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I don't agree about goals sucking the joy out of life. Years ago I set a goal to cycle 100km in one ride. I did some shorter rides by myself then found a cycling group that organised long distance rides. I completed my first ride and loved it. So I set a goal to ride 200km, completed that then did a 300k. I also organised a team and route for a 24 hour endurance challenge of 368km, which my team successfully completed. I have many hapoy memories of those rides, which brought me a lot of pleasure. So goals are not always joy sucking. It depends on your perspective.

charttv, Propagate and inertia like this.
  11. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

I'd rather modify goals than quit them.

Terry_w likes this.
  12. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

I believe in having a momentum in continuing with something until it becomes a habit. I know in my training regime, my routine stalled when the habit was broken due to sustaining two broken fingers, and it was really tough to get back to the same routine again.

For some of my training partners, once they come back from injuries, it's a mentality battle for them, but guess it's one step at a time.

With professional and career goals, it may be due to potential trade offs ie promotion to a higher role against the expectation of working longer hours and diminished quality of life.

13. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

There was a guy not so long ago who quit his job and lifestyle to commit everything to golf as a challenge, starting from zero.
    He wanted to test out the 10,000 hour rule to see if he could become professional.
    Played and practiced and studied golf full time for 5 years and got to 6,000 hours and a low handicap, until his back gave out.

Maybe he could have rehabilitated over a few years and tried again, but who knows what then, maybe another injury or stagnant progress.

I guess the time to quit is if it no longer makes you happy, because nobody else really genuinely cares what you do or achieve.

NHG, EN710, Jess Peletier and 2 others like this.
  14. Invest_noob

Invest_noob Well-Known Member

I highly recommend the toastmasters meeting. I've recently joined on and WOW they're good. I've seen people which thick accents and bad grammar deliver confident, engaging speeches. It costs like $50 for 6 months, best bang for buck too. You can just rock up and try them out for free.

15. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I have quit University three times.

I was doing it to please other people and not for myself.

Lesson learned.

16. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

I quit goals when I realize they're a destination not a journey....

A goal to live by allows for a continual growth journey.
    A goal to achieve can unlock a door to a journey.

For example, setting a goal for healthier living such as portion control & regular exercise is better for me than say, loss 5 kg. .. .

Each to their own.

17. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Because life gets in the way, marriage, divorce, kid, court cases, deaths, health etc. And sometimes you just have to slow down, reconsolidate and reassess the situation.

NHG likes this.
  18. el caballo

el caballo Well-Known Member

A,

Commendations on this ... unequivocally a personal victory from every perspective!

19. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

Mine's work related (trying to change industries). Each time to try to get my foot in the door it's been a case of "one step forward, two steps back" - the amount of time and energy I devote to looking for, applying for, and even interviewing for, other jobs (without any success) has me thinking that I'm just going to have to stay put and wait for the breakdown/hospitalisation, and income protection insurance to kick in.

Certainly not what I'd planned (and would like to avoid at all costs), but there are only so many times that you smack your head into a brick wall before you fall down, right?.....

20. Poppy

Poppy Well-Known Member

I have achieved every goal I've set usually well before i expected

Certain goals have been cancelled due to values shifts

Eg of goals i achieved
    Age 15 state level diving
    Age 15 organised myself scholarship to private school
    Age 18 top of state in English, TER 99.9 moved out home got firsf bf
    Age 18-30 successfully prevented pregnancy
    Age 20-30 fluent in new languages - lived and worked in 5 countries while getting paid and investiyin property
    30+ marriage babies new career
    I had to get a new degree while caring for a baby FT then completed a 6 month unpaid teacher prac with a one year old then work at an awful underprivileged high school JUST for FUN

Goals not achieved due to cancellation
    Have twins (became aware of health problems)
    Have multiple husbands (working on it)
    Marathon (no longer appeals)

Various failures have also caused setbacks

Im also enjoying my new career but have worked out how to get PT role

When your goals are clear and when you are a compassionate person good things happen