Why did you quit your goal?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Ace in the Hole, 24th May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Doesn't have to be investment related.
    Interested to see if there’s a pattern why people have made goals and then quit.

This is prompted by silly motivation quotes such as “Winners never Quit”.
    I keep getting bombarded on Facebook by quotes, usually from unsuccessful people touting general quotes on success, which are practically meaningless.

I believe there are times when quitting something previously planned makes sense.

This also depends heavily on what your interpretation of success is.

Morgs and Perthguy like this.
  2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

one reason for me, with weight loss, was that I think my goal was unrealistic and also I wasn't seeing progress. It was just trying to swim against the rip, in the end i stopped swimming and just floated (out to sea!)

lixas4, MWI, Gladys and 1 other person like this.
  3. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

So you got that sinking feeling I gather.

Terry_w likes this.
  4. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I don't describe it as "quit". I'd say something along the line of goal/ priority change. Sometimes the goal is unrealistic or just not the right goal for the purpose.

Having goal is good, but I think it's just one of the tools you use to get to where you really want to be.

My goal was to be able to drive - I haven't quit, just been procrastinating :confused:

The Y-man likes this.
  5. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Sometimes a goal is no longer meaningful.

I went through a fitness phase but not b/c I really valued being fit - it was more to know that I 'could' be fit. So I got fit, and then did something else. I'm not a massive lard now, but 'fit' is not a word I'd use to describe myself anymore :)

In this case, the end goal - fitness - was not actually the end goal - it was more that I could do a hard thing.

Now I have other challenges/goals that have more meaning.

6. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

When I realised the goal I had set myself was not what I actually wanted.

7. willy1111

willy1111 Well-Known Member

Do I remember reading a post of yours some time ago about starting an online clothing/tshirt line? Applying some of the Grant Cardone sales training? With a goal of reaching $100k p.a. from it?

I'm curious to hear the outcome of it and if you persisted? And if not, why not?

I've also heard another 'guru' say that he has a list of 168 things he has tried in his life. He likes to try things to see if he likes them or not. He tried golf for 3 mths and was terrible at it so quit that, he tried line dancing for 3 mths and also didn't like that but he met some people there that told him about a rock n roll dance class that he joined and loved that so much he is still doing it 10 years later.

I don't think it is a bad thing to try things, afterall it is the only way you will know if you like it and want to keep doing it. If you don't like it, stop and try something else until you find what you like...it's your life, it is upto you ; )

8. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Just tell them that Winners quit while they are ahead.

I quit a development site in Melbourne and rolled the funds into two Perth projects. The rent in Melbourne was 280 per week. Combined rent from the Perth projects is 900 per week.

Do I regret quitting? Not. one. bit. :D

KayTea, charttv and EN710 like this.
  9. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I wanted to get an open wheeler one day.
    On one occasion, I got into a decently fast go kart.
    After 3 short laps, I couldn't even get myself out of the seat I was that knackered.
    Gave up the goal :D

The Y-man

The Prestige and charttv like this.
  10. Ace in the Hole

You remember right.
    I didn’t persist with it after a while.
    At the time I was busy building up my business which sold a couple years later for a few mil, it was a zero cost start up 10 years prior.
    The return on effort for the clothing biz just wasn’t worth it and my priority at the time was my existing business.
    Just didn’t have the capacity to do both and had to focus on the better return at the time.

Perthguy, willy1111 and charttv like this.
  11. Ace in the Hole

I started University full time earlier this year after being comfortably retired.
    Been extremely tempted to quit a couple of times so far, but hanging in there.
    I’m actually learning a lot won’t have the opportunity or motivation to do it again if I quit now.

lixas4, Perthguy, willy1111 and 4 others like this.
  12. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I also quit doing a financial planning qualification. I found I couldn't tolerate formal education - the assignments particularly seems like such a phenomenal waste of time that I read the material, learned what I wanted to learn and jammed the rest. :) I didn't actually need the qualification for anything, it was just to increase my own knowledge.

I love learning, I just love doing things my way. Probs why I'm self employed.....

13. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

I think it would be tough to come back to Uni study later in life, especially if it is not really to get a job or directly benefit your career.

What kind of load are you doing? Could you drop back a little instead of quitting entirely?

cheers,
    Inertia.

14. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I did the qualification years ago, set up a business and started offering it to clients. Quickly discovered that I didn't really believe in what I was trying to sell and it was taking focus away from what I do well. Focus on what you do and outsource the other stuff.

I also did the first year of a Masters in Project Management about 14 years ago, about the same time I started my business. I didn't really see the relevance to my business so I dropped it.

Jess Peletier and AndyPandy like this.
  15. Ace in the Hole

I feel exactly the same way, self education destroys formal education.
    I had to do an oral class presentation for psychology yesterday, this has been my no.1 biggest phobia my whole life, public speaking and was a big reason I considered quitting the course, because I don’t have to do this and I don’t need stress of studying for exams.
    But in the end, I decided to put myself through the discomfort and help overcome my fears.
    For the 2 weeks prior I was drained and anxious preparing for the presentation and I’m glad I did it and didn’t quit. It went pretty well.
    Can’t keep running away from fears forever.

el caballo, lixas4, Angel and 6 others like this.
  16. Ace in the Hole

It’s only available full time.
    I’ve decided to see the course through to the end, unless personal circumstances change for some reason.
    I’ve definitely pulled back on lecture attendance though. Got HDs in everything so far predominantly using YouTube to learn as I’m a very visual learner and most of the lectures are rubbish.

17. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I quit my goal of partial LOE. APRA said no.

18. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

Thought provoking question :)

I guess I quit working?

Plenty of unresolved career ambitions and goals, but came to the realization that none of that even matters.

19. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

I'm almost there. I'm looking for a low end role to keep me off the streets part time :)

Cheers,
    Inertia.

Morgs and Jess Peletier like this.
  20. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I quit due to a big weekend. Forgot I even had a goal till you brought it up.

charttv and Terry_w like this.