VIC Why did this apartment sell for 130k more?

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by Moogle, 14th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Moogle

Moogle Member

True, I have been lucky enough to live in Tokyo and Manhattan in recent years. All of our friend's kids are all being raised in apartments in both these cities. We aim to do the same but there seems to be a belief in Aus that kids raised in apartments grow extra heads or something ;) .

Ouch, Y-man and Ouchmyknees that is some poor growth. I guess that's why inner city Melbourne is so much more affordable than inner city Sydney. Thanks for the insight and help. Cheers

Ouchmyknees likes this.
  2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I think it is a case of "timing" more than "time in". Had I sold in 2005 it would have been a killer investment. Who knows what would happen in the future? It *could* be a great time to buy.

The Y-man

MTR and Ouchmyknees like this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes. agree with you on this, timing is everything.

4. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

personally I would stick to the new underground train station lines - if you intend to move and live there and also make some gains. if one ever took the trams during 8-9:30am - one would find it very hard to even get onboard unless it was taken further away from CBD however these train stations would change it.

As you have mentioned - apartments in Melbourne have next to no CG - similar stuff in Sydney are like 1 mil+ with similar distance and facilities. I used to own many apartments in Melbourne however had on-sold them 4-5 years ago.

upload_2017-9-18_10-36-23.png

5. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

I think location played the biggest factor here. You will usually find properties closer to main road sold less than ones hidden in quiet streets. First one is so close to Punt Rd, from my memory that's a very busy road, plus that pocket is quite commercial with more commercial buildings, hotels and pubs. Second one sits in a more residential pocket with hardly any high/ low rise buildings surrounding, street is also prettier.

Anything closer to commercial areas/ high ways/ roundabouts is going to sell less than those a bit further away but still drive-able..