VIC Why did this apartment sell for 130k more?

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by Moogle, 14th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Moogle

Moogle Member

Complete newbie here. My husband and I intend on buying our first home when we return home from the US in 18 months. So, I have recently started the property research/learning process.

I was watching two apartments in Prahran (one of our desired areas), and was surprised to see that one sold for 130k more than the other.

They both have; 2,1,1 configurations, are in art deco buildings, have separate kitchens, wooden floors, light, privacy, are somewhat modernized and are walking distance from shops/transport.

One is a little bigger and in a different part of the suburb but could that really add 130k? Could strata costs influence this big a jump?

I’m clearly missing some pieces of the value puzzle as I thought these apartments would go for a similar price. What is this newbie missing?

Irving Ave (845k)
    2/8 Irving Avenue, Prahran, Vic 3181 - Property Details

Athol St (715k)
    2/2 Athol Street, Prahran, Vic 3181 - Property Details

I would really appreciate any help or advice. Thanks

2. luckyone

luckyone Well-Known Member

The second bedroom is bigger in the first one and the kitchen is much nicer. Maybe that's it? Also, one might be on a nicer street than the other.

3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Part of it is "luck on the day" (for seller and buyers alike).

Other factors could be:
    - condition of the building (repairs/maintenance outstanding)
    - cost of maintenance (reflected in owners corp)

The Y-man

4. The Y-man

Actually, having has a better look, it appears the Irvine one is much bigger.

The Y-man

5. Ouchmyknees

Ouchmyknees Well-Known Member

The second one's second bedroom is a study, it is too small.

I wouldn't touch any of these two, neither of them have a bathtub or balcony, which will negatively affect the value if you want to sell down the track.

The one on Athol st is at a better location I think, closer to St Kilda road (hence tram 6 & 72) and the train station.

I agree 130k is a very big difference, maybe there is a body corporate special levy?

6. Ouchmyknees

Prahran is red hot for Airbnb, I wouldn't be very surprised if you ended up buying an apartment and found out the neighbouring properties are all Airbnb pods.

7. Moogle

Moogle Member

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the advice so far. I'll play closer attention to the kitchen appliances, frequency of the trams on the closet lines and the size of the second bedroom. As we would use the second bedroom as a study, I was focusing more on if it actually has a window than the size of the room. I'll also add bathtub to the "add value"s column in my list.

Y-man is there a way to find the total floor space (sq m) without calling the agent? They rarely list it in the description and the floor plans are often incomplete (and rarely to scale so I can't fill in the blanks).

8. Moogle

Moogle Member

Thanks for the heads up. We would look to rent it out after 3 years (approximately) and buy a home with a little more space. While annoying in the short term the fact that there is Airbnb demand might work in our favour in the long run?

9. Ouchmyknees

Hmm on the contrary I'm think in the short run because the demand of airbnb property in the area, you need to compete with Airbnb landlord to snatch up quality properties for higher price. Art Deco ones are very appealing to guests/landlords.

In the long run, who knows if Stonnington council bans Airbnb in three years' time?

10. Moogle

Moogle Member

Very true. I know AirBnb is facing increasing backlash. Being a little further from the city I didn't think Airbnb would artificially inflate prices considerably but I guess it would anywhere there's demand. Unfortunately most of the areas we are looking at would be in the same boat.

Maybe I can find a middle ground between new properties (which I was looking to avoid) and older properties with character. Older but plain Jane buildings :).

11. The Y-man

Agent won't know either. You need to do a guesstimate with a print out and ruler unfortunately.

The Y-man

12. The Y-man

Why not just go for a house to start with? Granted you won't be as close to CBD but still.....

The Y-man

13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Also notice one has a garage the other a carpark bay? but certainly should not make such a massive price difference.

If the Melb market goes sideways there may be better pickings down the track.

Marg4000 likes this.
  14. The Y-man

Brilliant pick up! Totally missed it.

The Y-man

15. Moogle

Moogle Member

Great pick-up, thanks. Hopefully it does go a little sideways. We have 18 moths until we come home, so in the meantime we are going to track the areas we like and hope some better prices start to appear.

MTR likes this.
  16. Moogle

Moogle Member

Budget and walk-ability. We are aiming to stay under 650Kish (200k deposit + 500k mortgage - fees/stamp duty). Ideally we will stay in the apartment much longer, as we prefer the apartment lifestyle, but with a kid coming, we are not sure how viable it will be.

I don't care if it is not trendy area, but I don't want to own a car (and haven't for 5 years) so it needs to be walking distance from amenities/transport. I'll take a look at what areas we can afford houses in and see if any are walk-able.

Great! I didn't realize they were to scale (or close to). Thanks

17. Ouchmyknees

A lot of people raise kids in apartment in different part of the world, it is not a deal breaker. But from a growth perspective, a Prahran apartment probably is not your best bed.
    I have a two-bedder apartment in Prahran sub-650 when I bought it a few years ago when I moved from overseas, the price really hasn't moved much. Had I bought a house in Clayton for the same price, it would have be over 1m now.

18. The Y-man

Tell me about it! :oops:

I bought a 1BR in Prahran 2001-ish for $150k.
    It went up to $350k (bank valuation) in 2005.
    I got it revalued in 2015 - it was $320k!!! :eek:

I also bought a unit in Clayton around the same time as Prahran for $165k (3Br/2Bth).
    It's now over $660k.:cool:

The Y-man

LukeR and Ouchmyknees like this.
  19. Ouchmyknees

Well hopefully the Airbnb boom will help with the CG. Did you Airbnb yours in Prahran?

20. The Y-man

Nah- just bog standard. Might consider it once lease finishes....

The Y-man

Ouchmyknees likes this.

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.