QLD Why buy in Brisbane

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by JDP1, 24th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

piskywolf, big max, Jimmy D and 3 others like this.
  2. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Brisbane live is an awesome plan. Hopefully this can proceed somehow but I suspect we won't see much happening until after Queens Wharf

luckyone and highlighter like this.
  3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

A couple of those projects are actually under way, and in the case of the second runway construction started years ago, but some seem a long way off.

You only have to look at the decades-long touted Redcliffe rail line to see that there is often a huge gap between advertised possible projects and their actual construction.
    Even the Redcliffe rail line ended up being the Kippa Ring rail line. Who knows if it will ever get to Redcliffe.....

Queensland governments have a history of being quick to advertise development, but short on details. It turned out that the hyped cross river rail link actually had no provision for the cost of trains to run on it!! Great infrastructure, but no cost provision to actually use it??

Sure it will be great if those 7 projects are completed, but ......
    Marg

4. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

Interesting comments being posted below that article

Ross Forrester likes this.
  5. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

And then we'll get a cyclone come in that messes things up ;P

but seriously, historically big projects here have been known to go over budget , over time and not finished the way they were envisioned. oh wait, i think that's not just in QLD

6. Henry

Henry Member

With all of these infrastructure projects, do you think all the talk about Brisbane apartment market oversupply is wrong? In other words, do you believe the apartments will be bought and / or rented, especially with the growing interstate migration? Would love to know what people here think.

7. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

No..somr of those infra projects include high rises and some are excluded from the article eg Brisbane skytower.
    Absolutely there is going to be oversupply in this sub market...I would give about 5-7 years for this capacity to be absorbed. Will have decent yields till then though.

It will be something similar to Melbourne. apt sales are strong but will be mostly investors driven. The high quality and larger will be more attractive to empty nester OO... But those are rarer. Eg this one Qld’s first Westin is combining the best of hotel and residential living - realestate.com.au

8. BenWa

BenWa Member

Lots of projects in the pipeline for Brisbane which is great. With all the oversupply I'm not sure it's going to boom anytime soon though. Investors have been talking about Brisbane for years but substantial growth still hasn't happened. If I were buying in Brisbane I would go for a detached house rather than a unit. You can buy 4 bedroom houses in Brisbane for less than what a lot of the units are selling for. E.g. 39 Regency Drive Regents Park Qld 4118 - House for Sale #123331358 - realestate.com.au

9. Henry

Henry Member

Thanks guys for the responses. I am happy to stay clear of apartments right now.

10. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Kangabanga likes this.
  11. Kangabanga

they can market it anyway they want but this sure sounds like a "pre-liquidation" sale before the banks take over. We should start getting posts of people scoring apartments at 20-30% discounts pretty soon once the fire sales sizzling deals gets going.

12. bismarck

bismarck Member

13. Kangabanga

If they are really pushing to sell at 39% discount (which basically is same as saying 40% off), it probably means any potential buyers may only find it attractive at 50%?

Investors will probably do best to wait until the 4 weeks is up and then when it does go into liquidation, pick it up cheap at auction.

Definitely good times to be apartment shopping in Brisbane.

Last edited: 29th Mar, 2017
    gman65 likes this.
  14. bismarck

bismarck Member

I would think getting the 2-bedders down to about $400k would be a good buy.

15. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Interesting... especially when the developer goes bust and it becomes a forced sale. That is when you get the fire-sale prices. Wouldn't want to have bought a full-value apartment in that complex though!

I would think those developers with strong financial backing (your Triguboffs and the like) will just hold for years and continue to rent them until they can offload them gradually, or they just sit vacant; as happened in Melbourne Docklands. So will be interesting to see how many more of these start popping up over the next 12 months. I can already see the "for rent" signs hanging large in Toowong on just completed complexes.

16. Foxdan

Foxdan Well-Known Member

Why would a 2 bed apartment in brisbane be a good buy for 400k when u can buy a 3 bedroom house and decent amount of land for 450k within 15km of the CBD?
    Go do your home work on what people in Brisbane like to live in - it ain't apartments like Melbourne or Sydney.

Whitecat likes this.
  17. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

Everyone I know would rather the apartment than wherever you are suggesting that costs 450...

Angel likes this.
  18. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Eventually it will. Just don't know when. The market needs Brisbane live- a really good entertainment venue.they can't have concerts in the gabba destroying the turf as recently was the case. :) it's country townish to do so- every major city has a good large scale entertainment venue. If Brisbane aspires to elevate itself to another league, it will have to have these large scale developments..just like other larger cities..else..no worries - maintain the status quo and rely on stuff growing on or under the land for prosperity like the past.

Whitecat likes this.
  19. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

As for the actual residents, they would rather a new apartment than a dilapidated house any day. Remember, most of the population are not investors.

20. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

for me its more about activating that unused space there and linking the inner west. Its right in the city but its a bit of a nothing area Roma Street. Lots of visitors go through there but its a bit of a blackspot in terms of actual nice space to hang out.
    I agree it is inevitable.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia